Cyberpower PR1500 won't charge battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cyberpower PR1500 won't charge battery

Sometimes chips will go faulty and overheat by themselves.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
      Sometimes chips will go faulty and overheat by themselves.
      Indeed, although probably not this time. I forgot to mention on my first post thay I also replaced the optocoupler on the SMPS. I've just checked back at some photos I took of the PCB before I started, and it looks like the opto should be a Cosmo K1010C. I've fitted a K1010B. The datasheet shows the 1010B has about 50% of the current transfer ratio of the 1010C, so I suspect it's an issue with incorrect feedback to the Viper.

I suppose this is karma for my lazy repair technique - if I'd spent more time fault finding than replacing lots of components that *might* be the problem, I probably would never have replaced the opto in the first place!

Sadly I can't easily get a 1010C in the UK so I've had to order some from China. I'll report back with how I get on. Will probably replace the Viper as well, just in case the thermal overload has caused any damage.

Comment

Check and make sure that you do not have a short some where in battery charging circuit or circuits that might why you are seeing the charging current going up and down might be the reason that the Viper 22A is running hot or it could a bad chip however if change it and still run hot I would looking for something low ohm short
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 10-20-2019, 02:05 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Can we see good clear pictures of the whole top and bottom side of the board?
          Never stop learning
          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

BTW, you should also make new thread since your model is not the same as OP.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

If someone has a schematic for a PR2200LCDRT2U, please share it. I tried using the PR1500E/2200E/3000E service manual schematic (from page 1 of this discussion) but my unit's circuitry is significantly different. The PCB silkscreen says it's for the "PRII 1000/1500/2200". Various components have 2008 date codes.

Comment

Another update. I last posted in 2016 about reviving my second PR2200 by replacing C40. [Replacing the five "usual-suspect" capacitors in my first PR2200 didn't fix it.] {I picked up two supposedly refurbished PR2200s on eBay; both defective, but with new batteries. Got a refund.} My second PR2200 failed again a few months ago. I dug out the extra capacitors that I bought in 2016; if it doesn't work, these things deserve to be recycled. These things should NOT have to be repaired every five years. The charging circuit doesn't last as long as the batteries do. [Reliable power would be nice, but that's not going to happen...]

Comment

I don't know what value or function C40 is. What make of capacitor did you use a replacements?
                  The power supply runs 24/7 which is 8,640hrs per year, if you're using say 3,000hr parts well 5 years life is fine. The temperature is up there too in the 30's, worse if there is a shorted cell and it's stuck in high-rate charging.

Comment

So, what, exactly, is the purpose of a UPS? People use them to provide reliable power to things like computers that have uptimes of 25 years. If your electronic device has a very short life because of internal heat, maybe it needs better cooling. If it's designed with a critical component that will fail so quickly that the device won't outlast its batteries, maybe the component should be in a socket so it's easy to replace. [Or, maybe it should be like a "Flashcube" that rotates as each flashbulb is used up, sliding the next one into place.]

The person I compared notes with said that his oldest APC UPS is 21 years old. He's replaced the batteries multiple times on multiple units. Apparently, it is possible to design a UPS that'll outlast its batteries.

As far as I can tell, Cyberpower contracted out to some company in China to design and manufacture these things. They made no provision for ECOs as they learned how they fail. They made no provision for repairs. [They refuse to provide any service information to customers. There are service manuals circulating on what seems pretty much like a black market - and the manuals are inaccurate.]

I'd settle for them being honest and admitting that these things aren't designed to last more than five years, so potential customers can decide if they want to go another way.

Of course, eventually, their reputation would make it impossible for them to continue in this business, and they'd have to branch out, perhaps making PCs or something (which involves nothing but assembling commodity componets and slapping a brand name on the outside). -Wait a minute...

People have criticized Keurig for all of the trash that their coffee makers generate. But, how many of these unreliable UPS units are in landfills or sitting in corners, unused?

Comment

I just changed out C42 on my OR1500LCDRTXL2U that would not power up without batteries. Now it does power up without batteries, and its charging them fine.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rotohammer View Post
                        I just changed out C42 on my OR1500LCDRTXL2U that would not power up without batteries. Now it does power up without batteries, and its charging them fine.
                        I would go headed and replace all the capacitors on this board that are around the area where you replace the capacitor because those capacitors might be questionable also and for good measure
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Problem solved. I had four PR2000s (two new; two "refurbished" - new batteries; untested; neither charging the batteries). In one, I replaced the capacitor-most-likely-to fail and got a second three years out of it. On the others, I changed the five caps identified here. Most never revived; all were dead by about six years. Changing those capacitors didn't help.

After speaking with the guy with the server farm in his house and many APC UPSes (the oldest of which is 21 years old), I bought a refurbished APC commercial model (not for consumer use, which seems to mean not FCC-compliant for interference). In addition to the UPS, I bought an external battery pack to extend battery time. The external pack actually contains two of the packs like what's in the base, so I've now got three hours of battery time for my AlphaServer. [I can attach 10 external packs for a LOT of battery time.] I have it set to run self-test once a week, so when the batteries fail, I'll know - before there's a power failure. [Hot-swap OK.] Presumably, if the charging circuit fails, I'll know. It can run in pass-through mode - in which the charger charges the batteries as the batteries feed an inverter to supply power or I can run it in standby mode (like those Cyberpowers), which is a little more efficient.

It cost about what the new Cyberpowers cost - and has a better warranty. And, I could have paid more for a warranty that's the same as the actual lifetime I got from the longest-lived Cyberpower UPSes.

I still have some smaller Cyberpower UPSes around the house. One, less than a year old, has an intermittently-blinking power-on light. [I found a YouTube video that claims that the glue that Cyberpower used on some components becomes conductive with age, which causes more failures within the UPS.]

The PR2200s were a huge waste of time and money. [I recycled what I could.] Never again.

By the way, the AlphaServer has two power supplies, so I was a able to move it from an outlet to the "new" UPS without stopping it. Next step is to duplicate the APC UPS so I can have each power supply plugged into its own UPS, with each UPS on a separate line (on alternate sides of the 240/120 split) - for even more reliability.
                          Last edited by CamilliLa; 07-11-2022, 09:44 AM.

Comment

CyberPower 1350AVR won't charge

I have a 1350AVR that works except for charging. I replaced the batteries, pulled the power to drain them, restored the power and they are not charging.

There is burnt area on the board, pictures are enclosed. The area in question is near the U3 chip and diode.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I got a better photo of the chip - VIPer22A for the 1350 UPS. Any ideas on that diode next to it? I am not sure what I should replace.
                              Attached Files

Comment

One thing about changing the VIPer22A ic chip replace the capacitor next to it as well for good measure
                                You might want to check the optic sensor right next to the capacitor that I also talk about earlier

If you replace the diode next to the ic chip that you are replacing when installing the new leave a small space between the board and the bottom of the diode when replacing it

Also check an make sure that you do have a short on the wires going to the battery if not then see if you have voltage on the wires to the battery with out the battery connected
                                Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-11-2023, 08:46 AM.
                                9 PC LCD Monitor
                                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                1 Dell Mother Board
                                15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Guys, I need your help, I was changing the capacitors on the board of my PR2200 and did not see that a piece of the cut-off pin got on the pins of the P7NK80ZFP transistor. The first turn on of UPS was bright😁
                                  Of course, this transistor died immediately. Zener diode D103 and the nearby resistor R135 are also dead.

In my opinion, the UC3845B PWM controller has also failed; there is a trace on its body as if from an electric shock. The resistor R101 next to it also looks bad.
                                  I have several questions for selecting replacements for failed components, I would be grateful if you can help:
                                  1. Values and sizes of resistors R135, R101 and R143
                                  2. Voltage of zener diode D103
                                  3. Is there any way to check the functionality of the UC3845B? If I buy a new one, do I need to program it?
                                  4. Are there any other electronic components that I need to pay attention to or replace with new ones?

Thank you in advance
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                  X