Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

solid polymer electrolytic capacitor go boom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solid polymer electrolytic capacitor go boom?

Anyone had a solid polymer capacitor fail for whatever reason?

How do they fail? Do they explode, go open, short out, ?

How about for different reasons: forcing excessive ripple current, overheating, voltage too high, reverse voltage?

Just wondering about the causes for a potential shorted solid polymer capacitor... trying to debug a board that has a ~4Ω "short" on a track... it may or may not be a capacitor but was wondering what if it were...

Re: solid polymer electrolytic capacitor go boom?

i watched a video of trying to fuck a bunch of them,
    guy ran them at rated voltage in reverse polarity, they went dead short and just cooked till the leads melted

that said, there was a guy on another forum a few years ago, re-capped a mobo and put one in backwards, it exploded and put black tar-like goo all over the place.

so it may depend on the internal design/manufacturer.

Comment

hmm...also curious what happens if they get overheated or overvoltaged. Unlike a "wet" capacitor, they don't have a liquid to boil off so I can't extrapolate a regular aluminum wet capacitor over. Reverse polarity it seems very similar to an aluminum wet, except that one case where the internal resistance got so low the leads were more resistive

Comment

well given my previous post, i suspect they get very hot and then it's down to the specific design whether it stays in one piece or expands and blows the can off

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
          hmm...also curious what happens if they get overheated or overvoltaged
          I have several unbranded without any prints can do some experiments.
          what the design do you suggest?
          can try overvoltage or reverse polarity

Comment

put a bowl over it or do it outside.
            you can thank me later!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              put a bowl over it or do it outside.
              you can thank me later!
              I recently saw a polymer cap that had been installed reverse polarity. But for being inside the P/S case it would have launched. The case limited the height the cap attained.

About 15 years ago (time's fun when you're having flies!) when I was torture testing lytics, I tortured a couple of polymers - probably ran them at ~8X rated ripple current - and the things just kept running. I don't remember whether, after several thousand hours, the things even reached double their initial impedance.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

looks like reverse polarity has been well tested, and looks like high ripple current are even tolerated...

wonder about overvoltage and high ambient heat now?

Comment

Polymers don't have a liquid electrolyte that could cause venting or evaporate.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

you say that, but if the chemical outgasses or there is an air-pocket in the end of the can then expansion can still blow the can off the contents

Comment

Since in both polymer and liquid electrolyte capacitors the dielectric is aluminum oxide, not the polymer or liquid electrolyte, are the frequency characteristics for the two types substantially different? I couldn't find charts.
                      PeteS in CA

Comment

Working...
                      X