Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming - does not power on

So this is the third of three AM4 motherboards I have here

This one is compatible with my A6-950 test CPU. The CPU socket looks good on this one and I can't see any physical damage

The SIO is an IT8686E, and I couldn't find the datasheet. There is 5V on the PS-ON switch but the ATX PSU does not get a start signal. Interestingly on he green wire from the PSU I get around 2.4V which very slowly increases - for example in the last 20-30 mins it has reached 3.05V. It does not increase continually like a charging capacitor but goes up and down as little bit - like it is taking one step back and two steps forwards.

If I wait till the voltage on the green ATX wire 'charges up' to say 3.10V then press the OS_ON switch, it goes back down to around 2.8V then starts its one step back two steps forwards increase again, but if I ground it to start the PSU, it does not drop back down in voltage, it continues to climb from where it left off.

If I ground the green wire to force start the PSU, the Fans start to run and the red CPU LED illuminates. The CPU fan initially starts at full speed then drops to a slower speed.

Really, Apart from the odd thing happening with the climbing voltage, it is acting much like the two boards I have with broken CPU sockets, but those are waiting a compatible CPU before I can move forwards with them.

I assume the IT6868E is responsible for starting the PSU and initialising the motherboard- should I just change it, or are there more things I can check without a datasheet?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dicky96; 01-28-2021, 06:47 AM.
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Re: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming - does not power on

Well seeing as no one suggested anything else, I ordered an IT8686E 1750-CXA from Aliexpress today. There are a few sellers listing these and some of them have sales and good feedback.

I generally take that to mean that people buy them therefore they must tend to fail - but it could equally mean that people think they are faulty and buy them, when really the problem is something else.

Rich
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
      the Fans start to run and the red CPU LED illuminates. The CPU fan initially starts at full speed then drops to a slower speed.
      When I received an Asus Maximus II Gene for my socket 775 upgrade back in January, 2013, I got the same symptoms, IIRC:

A red LED and slow fan. I think that's normal for socket 775 ROGs when CPU init failed.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

This is AM4 socket but I am sure the same could apply.

What makes me think it may not be the SIO is that the power up sequence seems to be a mixture of SIO and PCH these days, at least on intel motherboards

But only one way to find out. That should be my motto these days lol
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Sad seeing a socket AM4 motherboard being dead!
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

I have three of them here mate - the other two have broken sockets (see my other thread)
            Follow me on YouTube
            ------------------
            Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

I have three of them here mate - the other two have broken sockets (see my other thread)
              Broken by a computer noob?! They aren't as easy to wreck as Intel LGA sockets.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Well seeing as no one suggested anything else, I ordered an IT8686E 1750-CXA from Aliexpress today.
                Before you chance it... did you check for all standby voltages generated on the motherboard? There should be at least 3.3V STB (generated from 5VSB) and possibly one or both of these going to the SIO. There may be other standby voltages too, like 2.5V or 2.0V or 1.8V, so check all regulators and MOSFETs on the lower side of the board.

While at it, also check those transistors / diodes around the SIO. I imagine at least some of these must be NPN or PNP BJTs for driving various signals, such as PS-ON and others. It's unlikely that any of them would be open or partially-shorted, but do check what you can. Without anything there being labeled, though, I know it could be tough (especially with no schematic or boardview - though I personally never really care to bother with boardviews at all.)

Comment

Well I already ordered an SIO but while I am waiting I will check as you suggested. I do have 3.3V (or was it 5V) on the ATX_ON switch pin on the motherboard - but I will look around the LDO regulators and see what is what. I have three AM4 motherboards very similar chipset that just don't even try to power on so it could be a common type fault.

I am still waiting for a compatible Ryzen CPU for two of them so I don't know if the 'wrong' CPU I have (A6-950 - correct socket type but not on compatible cpu list) would actually stop the other two from even trying to power up.
                  Follow me on YouTube
                  ------------------
                  Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

intresting or you fixed hmm...

Comment

any news or updates here? got an x470 Aorus here with same symptoms... sometimes its powering on after hours connected on its own

Comment

I found the solution. I resoldered the RTC chip next to cpu socket. there was a bad solderjoint under it i think. everytime i forced the board there before i could start it. now after resoldering its working fine.... everytime i start it.... since weeks...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240311_064805.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	3232607 Click image for larger version

Name:	20240311_064749.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	3232608

Comment

Working...
                        X