This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hello, I'm Jonathan (Sunday_Scour) from the northern most tip of the state of Virginia in the United States.

I am upgrading my laptop (ASUS ROG Scar GL703GE-IS74) that I bough in July of 2018. I have finally gotten my life in perspective and know what I want to do as not just a career, but a true vocation: Computer Science. To that end, I am enrolled at a local community college (Laurel Ridge Community College which was, until last week Lord Fairfax Community College) in their Computer Science 4-year transfer program, so that after 2 years, with my associates, I hope to transfer to George Mason University (as a 40-something year old).

I made an emergency landing on https://www.badcaps.net because, in upgrading my laptop, I made two fundamental errors, and I should have known better. First, I figured updating my BIOS from the factory version (after 4 years) could ONLY be a good thing. Second, I did NOT write down the BIOS version I HAD before I flashed the BIOS ROM module with ASUS's "new and improved" BIOS software. As such, the only difference I found was that several useful features seem to have been removed. I can't be entirely sure what was there, because as with many updates, you can't go back, and, after initial setup in 2018, I didn't enter the BIOS very often since then. This put me in a bit of a pickle. I want the old BIOS back, and the ONLY place I can see that has ANY older version is *********om, which charges a fee to download anything.

In snooping around to see if that website is legitimate, I found a discussion on badcaps.net, looked around here, and decided this was a safe place to gather my wits before I screw around with reverting my BIOS to an older version for $6 from a site I only just encountered.

So, that's my story. I'll poke around for information on my model ASUS ROG laptop (see above), and if I DO take the plunge with *******om, I'll post my experience here.

I think I'll crack her (it) open, double the RAM to 32GB (DDR 4 SO-DIMM @2666MHz, 18ms latency), quadruple the SSD from 256GB to 1TB, double the standard hard disk from 1TB to 2TB, and upgrade the network / Bluetooth module to WiFi 6E AX210 / Bluetooth 5.2. THEN I'll worry with the BIOS. Or maybe the BIOS should come first? I don't know. So, I'm glad I found this place. Either way, I shoould be ready for my classes come Fall of 2022.
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-10-2022, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Hello

I'm Burperryberry just curious about tech and want to learn some cool shit from this community.

Comment

HI all, I'm an Australian guy living in Poland at the moment. I've bought a busted LCD TV with the hope that I might repair it. I've little experience with TVs I and I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous.

To be honest I've think I've bitten off more than I can chew, but on the other hand I think this will be a learning experience (with a steep curve though!). I love the amount of knowledge and the generosity of the community here and I'm sure I will spend a lot of time on these boards. Nice to meet you!

Comment

Hi, I'm from Panama and I've been working in a repair center since 2018. I probably check in from time to time. maybe ask newbie questions.

Comment

Hi. Norwegian tinkertod here. Found the site whilst searching for replacement capacitors for old Xboxes. Thank you for hosting the forum and thank you to all members who contribute with their knowledge.

Comment

Hi, a Finnish electronics- and automation assembler here. I'm a beginner of my professions and have been gathering computer experience since the late 90's. I'm learning hardware mainly.
              Personal about me, Currently in school of studing robotics basics. I have passion for technology and love to tinker with tech. Software is not my strongest suite.
              My age, somewhere in thirties. Thank you for hosting this knowledge sharing site
              Last edited by viatracing; 06-10-2022, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Hi from Poland.
                I work in the IT field and have a passion for everything's that's is electronics related.

Comment

Hello from Florida.
                  The name's JB!
                  I'm an IT security major with a passion for knowledge and learning everything I can that's technology related.
                  I look forward to engaging with others here, and being able to hopefully contribute as well as to help each other benefit from our combined shared knowledge!
                  I'm excited to be here!

Comment

Hello everyone, i am from brazil and here knowledge about gpu repair is rare, i just began studying it but i get sad a lot because i get to some troubles that i cant solve cause i dont have the sufficient knowledge. Thats why i chose to study in this forum also, here i hope to make some friends and someone who would help me learn, its beeing hard but i wont give up. god bless you all

Comment

Well my name is Jay I live in AZ I have always tried to repair anything mechanical even after destroying things but I still try. I think the resources from this website are invaluable and that is what I am here for...

Comment

I'm here to learn more about bios modification via software or hardware-based mods. My full-time job is in information security. I'm curious by nature and want to learn the strengths and weaknesses of PC bios. USA, NYC.

Comment

Hello. My name is Zack. Pretty lazy so this will be short. But I need help lmaooo

Comment

Hi There,
                            My name is David and unlike Petabyte I am entirely new to forums of any sort. I tried to post a reply on this thread just now but it disappeared into infinity before I could complete it. So I'll try again.
                            Nearly eighty years old but an experienced electronics engineer with Broadcast technology experience (admittedly in the discrete component era and the start of the IC), I then moved on to Robotics and worked for over ten years for a company which made and installed automatic handling systems in hospitals and industry. I am now partially disabled and live with my wife in Salisbury UK.
                            I have always been a "fix it rather than bin it" merchant and my friends over the ages have asked me to fix everything from roller skates to computers with numerous items of my own on the way.
                            I am currently searching for a circuit diagram for a Roberts DAB radio (Gemini 3 model) which has an audio fault. It has a poorly populated tandem board which makes it really difficult to trace the signal pathway. The DAB receiver section seems to be working.
                            As I said i have no experience of Forums so maybe the introductory message is not the place to put my enquiry. If so I apologise to all.
                            David

Comment

hello
                              Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-11-2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Hello to everybody, i'm a new members from Italy, i love electronics diy, but i'm not a technician.
                                I read this forum from a long time, and i have learned very much, but now i need your helps...
                                See you soon

Comment

Please, delete this account. It was created to download a file from
                                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64364

Please do not hide files behind registration wall.

Comment

Hey guys, just made an account to get some files from this forum.
                                    Might actually stick around since it seems pretty cool

Comment

Hi Every one just registered and checking in

Comment

By de way my name is Luis and I am from Mexico

Comment

Hello everybody. I found this board on my research to wether i get my GTX1070 back to life or not. I alread found usefull information in several threads and with the boardviewer.

Comment

Working...
                                          X