X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
    I wanted to share some pictures of power supply that came out of a PCI expansion box that was given too me. It is one of the heaviest and dense power supplies I have yet encountered. It also has three heatsinks compared to the standard two found in most supplies. It does not have the best brands of capacitors but I did not see any of them bulging and it had been running 24/7 for >7 years if not longer.
    That is one SWEEEET PSU!
    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Really not a bad power supply.

Big heatsinks, capacitors are not that bad (Ce-Tur and Lelon are a bit above those no-name chinese capacitors), transformer looks like it's suitable for the output listed on label...

It's even tested by UL and the values seem legit:

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...374&sequence=1

YM-6042A(a)

v a va

5.42 46 212
      12.46 34 371 -
      3.41 45 127 -
      5.2 2 8 -
      -12.1 3 24 -
      5.13 6 33 -

Comment

Must have some good cooling since none of those capacitors look like top brands
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

I think the PFC O/P cap (?) was Hitachi. The fan is Nidec, good stuff. The heatsinks ... heavy metal is goodness!
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I wouldn't want to replace those caps if they would fail, there is no room inside at all
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
              I think the PFC O/P cap (?) was Hitachi.
              Looks like the only one.

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
              I wouldn't want to replace those caps if they would fail, there is no room inside at all
              The heatsinks look like they are bolted on rather than soldered in so it probably wouldn't be too bad actually
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

But all the sillicon is attached to them.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

But all the sillicon is attached to them.
                  True, but it's still easier to desolder transistors than heatsinks
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Well, using hot air, you can desolder both at the same time. But I am trying to avoid removing sillicon as much as possible, PCB usually does not liek that much of heat needed to desolder as many joints in the same time.

Comment

So don't desolder all at once, use a different tool and desolder the leads selectively?
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Well I got only this chineese sucking litz wire, not a great deal…and I have to heat it pretty much too for it to be able to suck somethign out, so

Comment

Well I got only this chineese sucking litz wire, not a great deal…and I have to heat it pretty much too for it to be able to suck somethign out, so
                          Desolder braid must be fluxed to work properly. If it's some Chinese stuff it probably has nothing on it already, or maybe it's just crap quality.

True Litz wire is likely to be enamel coated, which really won't help for desoldering...

Get a desolder pump or bulb, even a manual non-heated one will be nicer than proper braid for most things.
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

I don't really like these things…

Well if I use some flux on that chineese thing and heat it properly (I got 60W pen for that which heats like 150 W one ), it's not that bad, but still, it's messy. I am trying to avoid this kind of resoldering as much as I can.

But I am getting practice, so it's better every time
                            Last edited by Behemot; 12-10-2012, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Brand new Fortron/Source FSP350-50GMN. I bought this to replace PSU in old P4 system. I didn't find any info on web about this particular model before purchasing. As I and couple my friends previously got good experience with FSP PSUs, I went for ir. There were no sticker on the case so I opened it and looked inside. To my surprise this units buid quality apared much cheaper than for example PNF series Fortrons.
                              One 150uF/400V 85C CapXon cap on primary.
                              In the middle 1 Taepo, 1 OST and 1 CapXon brand cap.
                              On secondary 5 CapXon caps and for 3 caps (violet ones) I could not figure out what brand they are.
                              Cables are short. 30 cm each. And there is no that plastic thingy that holds them in place.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by maxd; 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Disappointing for an FSP unit. That definitely looks underbuilt for a 350. Those violet caps are probably Yageo/Teapo. At least they used a decent fan. I would recap it. But it only looks good for 250W (Safely)

Comment

Power output does not concern me much. That PC does not have dedicated video card. All I'm concerned is power noise (no way to measure that) and what this PSU will do to other components if it fails.

I'm concidering preventive recap. Couple of questions. Cap on primary has quite small capacity. No problem if I put there 330uF or 470uF? Or there is no need for that. Then caps on secondary are with different capacitance (470uF-2200uF). Is it acceptable to replace all those just with one value caps? Let's say 2200uF/10 or 16 (largest caps there).
                                  Last edited by maxd; 12-13-2012, 05:20 PM.

Comment

For PFC you typically need 75% or more capacitance to watt ratio so I'd say 270uF minimum, 330uF best.
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Brand new those CapXon's will keep the ripple in check but I would definitely replace them because it will only get worse over time with CapXon. FSP units are great with good caps. You can increase the capacitance and voltage on them (the filtering caps) but I usually leave or replace with the same value for the -12V cap, which is probably a 470uF 16V cap
                                      Last edited by Pentium4; 12-13-2012, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                        Brand new those CapXon's will keep the ripple in check but I would definitely replace them because it will only get worse over time with CapXon. FSP units are great with good caps. You can increase the capacitance and voltage on them (the filtering caps) but I usually leave or replace with the same value for the -12V cap, which is probably a 470uF 16V cap
                                        Been using NCC KY 680 uF as they are even cheaper than 470uF variant at Digi-Key

Anyway, I think that transformer can do the power, input diodes are not that much of a problem too - this thing has active PFC so there would be almost none reactive load, and as for efficiency, I guess arround 80 %. So if the diodes are like 3 A (seem beefy enough for that), it is going to provide the power. Just the ripple

Comment

Holy cow! Whe-e-e-e-eres the beef?! 250W seems realistic. The caps you would use depend on what's available there in Riga. Speaking generally: Nichicon PW, PA and HE are good series; United Chemicon (Nippon Chemicon) LXZ, KY and KE series are good; Rubycon ZL series is good; Panasonic FC and FM are good (FJ and FK may be good, I just haven't had experience with them).
                                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X