This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

These Modecoms used to be quite popular for some time arround 5 years ago. I finally got one into my hands after those years and my impression is this PSU shows you can do even the cheap half-bridge combination of SG6105DZ and LM339 decent.

It lacks only varistors on input. ZHN caps pretending to be 680 uF, can't really measure, no meter. Passive PFC and KBU 606. Fairchild's 13009 switchers with 02N60P for +5 V SB.

The transformer is interesting, says ERL-40, but notice the ERL39 in the long string Anway, I think it's beefy enough for 400 W. Huge heatsinks, reminding me the ones in the original FSP BlueStorm; maybe the wind blows from here? I don't really know OEM of this one, no UL or something anywhere… There are two MBR4045PT's for smaller voltages and two MBR20100CT in parallel for +12 V. It says it has two 12V rails, there are indeed two outputs with separate inductors each.

Feedback to LM339N is going from all three: 12V output from rectifiers and both rails. But I don't think they are actually OPPed as you cannot use inductor as a shunt in my opinion, it's apparent resistances changes with switching frequency, doesn't it. Not mentioning LM339N not having comparators enough to controll everything. I am lazy to track things, but some control of the +12 V it definitelly offers so it's better than most usuall craps of this topology…

You can see beefy coils on output as well as KSC and Teapo caps; 3300 uF/10 V and 2200 uF/16 V. Can't measure them but visibly OK considering some 5-6 years of use with Venice Athlon 64 3200+ and passive GT 7600. Cables used mostly 20AWG.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Behemot; 12-15-2012, 06:40 AM.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I actually like the looks of that power supply. It could definitely use a recap and some better heatsinks if the fan is no good. That is one big diode on the stand by I like how they didn't even bother to put the combined 12V output on the label and not even the max output for the -12V or 5VSB. i think that thing would probably be good for around 330W? Probably do 400W with some 820uF input caps. I may be missing it but is there not even a spot to put on MOV on the primary side?

Comment

I'll just add it somewhere between phase and neutral at least, you can always find some holes for that;-)

The heatsinks are very fat, what else would you like? Man, damn, there are hardly better sinks than these are. Not mentioning the thermocontrolled 12cm fan.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
          30A. My load tester only goes in 10A increments on the 3.3V rail.
          One last question, I know this is very long in the tooth but did that PSU you tested it on use DC-DC conversion for the +3.3V rail or not (if you remember)?

Comment

Yes, you're right they are pretty fat. When looking at them they just reminded me too much of the ones in the lower end FSP designs

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
              One last question, I know this is very long in the tooth but did that PSU you tested it on use DC-DC conversion for the +3.3V rail or not (if you remember)?
              IIRC, No. I think it might have been a Hipro 300W
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                i think that thing would probably be good for around 330W?
                Pulling 400 W from it ATM.

ADD// oh bloody fuck, I've set the fan on my tester the other way around AGAIN. Good that I was here to smell it, if I went out, the bloody thing would burn to death.
                Last edited by Behemot; 12-16-2012, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Not 100% the place to post it, but I think it's close enough.

Got this from DinoDirect.com - wanted to use a xx% off for orders above 75$ and my basket had 74$ worth of stuff, so added this $1.67 usb charger:

Short story... it was acceptable up to 280-300mA, but it outputs about 5.6v for the first 200mA.

Made a video with it, if you want to see me testing it with a constant current load I made and modding it, click below ... but be gentle with me, it's my first "review" type of video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLjojTnkJq8

As you can see in the video, a 820uF cap on the output instead of the 220uF one and a 4.7uF instead of the 2.2uF primary cap (and a bridge rectifier, though I'm not sure how much it mattered in this case) got this adapter to give relatively stable output up to about 420mA.
                  I think the transformer is simply too small for the job, the transistors should work.. it's a classic 13001.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that is really cool You got a decent improvement out of it too

Comment

Just don't short the output, it will go BOOM!

P.S. Please, put a fuse in there too.
                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

No, it will probably go in the trash, unless I recycle a small bridge rectifier from somewhere. I'm also basically out of any high voltage caps of the size that would fit inside such adapter - I'd love to try a 10uF-22uF cap on the input side but I only have 100+ uF capacitors..

I've used a GBU405 in the video, it's a huge (for this crap "psu") 4A 600v bridge rectifier.

If I do that, I'll probably also get a small inductor and a 330-470uF and do a pi filter on the output, to get the output even cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                          P.S. Please, put a fuse in there too.
                          It has one already. See that squigly PCB trace on the primary side? - that's the fuse

Comment

Very good job!

I like your voice

Comment

Good video, but long, will have to watch later...
                              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                It has one already. See that squigly PCB trace on the primary side? - that's the fuse
                                AHahaha! I looked over that xD

Sorry I can't watch the video (I would like to!), because my computer locks up sometimes when playing YT videos. It does it randomly, and there is NO other problems with the computer. In fact, that is the only whole system crashing that happens. I have to do a hard reset, I'm afraid one day my HDD will be corrupted
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

No problem, appreciate that you wanted to. Might wanna try disabling the acceleration inside Flash, try to right click a flash thing and click Settings and uncheck video acceleration.

As for my voice, I just got through a cold so my voice is a bit "raspy" and... I know I have a problem with my Ssss-es but that's how my teeth are, can't do much about it.
                                  If you're bothered by it, I'm sorry, but that's just how i am.

Anyway, I was shy and weary of using my voice on videos, or showing myself (because I'm kind of fat) for a long time but I said screw it, if it annoys someone he can just mute the sound. Youtube is an ocean of worse videos than mine, so I really won't care if someone makes fun of my diction.

In regard to the adapter itself, yes, that's supposed to be a fuse there, that wiggly trace. I wonder how big of a tolerance such type of fuse has. After all, the pcb would absorb some heat.

The only thing that I'm upset about now is that I used a small time scale on the scope, it was set at 5ms per division.
                                  With a bigger value, the adapter on its default configuration would have shown its true colors (big ripple and oscillations) at even lower loads. As I had it, I was only looking at a small period of time so I think the graphs looked better than the reality.

It would have made the improvements brought by the bigger output capacitor even more noticeable.

Comment

Use HTML5 instead of flash. Flash is piece of crap, as java is, I know that for sure. On some older computers, recently even my Pentium M, flash is lagging like hell in browser. When I play the video in VLC, it's just fine…

Comment

I don't think HTML5 would be any better than Flash.

As for the power supply, I wouldn't consider that much ripple to be acceptable. Also, the output voltage is too high. Devices powered by a USB port are only designed for up to 5.25V.

I have a really crappy cell phone charger with the same size of transformer. It can actually charge a phone, but it probably has tons of ripple on the output (filtered by a 470uF cap). The creepage distances on the board are so small (0.5mm between the primary of the transformer and the output negative) that I won't use it.
                                      Last edited by lti; 12-19-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

It would…

mariushm: just try to improve your spoken english, sometimes seemed you can't find the words

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                          Made a video with it, if you want to see me testing it with a constant current load I made and modding it, click below ...
                                          Just saw your video. Long, but was interesting so I think it was worthy (unlike that adapter ). And don't worry about your voice. After watching for 2-3 minutes, it seemed normal.

Comment

Working...
                                          X