X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
    Had a look at 10 ms and lower, there was some ripple at this frequency, but not that high, around 40 mV amongst both +12 and +5 V. The scope also measured the same ripple no matter what time I have set so it has to measure the highest peaks on the whole interval, you just see smaller part when you "zoom in". I use integrated peak-to-peak meter, you don't think I read it manualy, do you?
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Got a Wintech here. Not too bad and looks pretty honestly rated for the most part. Checked and 3.3V = 20A, 5V = 30A, 12V = 16A. I posted some before and after pics. It had all Canicon/Seacon caps. Surprisingly they all tested good capacitance and low ESR too. And after a long life in a smokers home...I replaced all the caps except the primaries (and -12V/-5V filtering caps), added some input filtering, and relubed the fan. I know it isn't a full input filter but the 2 X caps, 2 Y caps and coil should help quite a bit. After recapped and loaded up, the 5V measured 5.01V and the 12V measured 12.02V, gotta love it Didn't measure the other rails. With those heatsinks I would trust this thing up to 300 continuous. What do you guys think?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pentium4; 01-29-2013, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I can see no varistor, there is also something what looks like free spot for choke?
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

The real question is - how does it hold up to short term loads above its max rating (a few seconds), and also if the protections are working (if it has any!)
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

What brand was the fan in that?
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The fan is "Zonsu" not sure if this thing has any protections. If it does, probably not much haha

Comment

I tried to post here, but I couldn't get the attachments to work properly.
                Last edited by Shocker; 02-01-2013, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Did you select them in the form and than upload before posting? For me it opens in smaller window so the Upload button is not visible until I scroll right.

Comment

Yay a Leadman...Not sure if I want to put any time or effort into getting this thing usable. The heatsinks are just plain pathetic and that transformer is so small, and no silkscreening to add input filtering. 3.3V = 20A, 5V = 30A, 12V = 16A. At least the coils are good size and this LP actually has PI filter coils
                    Attached Files

Comment

Re-mark it as 350 W and you are OK

Comment

For some reason, the ripple on those power supplies is extremely high, even with pi filters.

Comment

Low capacity input cap, low capacity output caps? Not mentioning not that good/efficient primary driving, too.

Comment

The primary sides on those leadmen are often pretty anemic. I'd give it maybe 200W max before the switcher goes kaboom.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                              Re-mark it as 350 W and you are OK
                              I doubt it will even do 350W, the primary caps are too small, maybe a low 300W but ripple would be significant.
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

As for the primary capacitors, if I'm not mistaken that looks like forward topology and I have seen 560uF input capacitors do 350W before in that topology (A 350W Hipro, doesn't say so in the review but elsewhere I have found it uses 560uF input capacitors) and it managed to do 420W with no problem within 4 hours of testing, albeit at 230V/50Hz and only at a room temperature in between 26-27C. But you can see that the URLed PSU is designed much better than the Leadman you see here, though the one in the review is only rated up to 40C room temperature/90% relative humidity. The only thing decent in that Leadman, as far as I'm concerned, is its secondary toroidal coil.

Comment

It powered a Sandy Bridge i3, 8GB RAM, and a GT 430 for about 2 years and it was one of the dustiest computers I've ever seen which doesn't help. The motherboard and RAM died, and I told my co worker "I BET YOU ANYTHING the ripple from the PSU killed them" You can't see in the pic but there is also a MOSFET on the primary heatsink. Should I try to help this thing or chuck it?

Comment

^
                                    Can it. The whole design of the primary sides on these units just makes them produce excessive ripple, even with good caps and up-to spec parts.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                      ^
                                      Can it. The whole design of the primary sides on these units just makes them produce excessive ripple, even with good caps and up-to spec parts.
                                      What if I were to take the input filtering attached to an AC receptacle off a different power supply and wire it to the PCB, replace the only coil it has with a bigger one, and put some higher quality input caps in there, think that would make the input adequate? I probably wouldn't do it just because I don't trust this thing but still curious if that would help it enough

Comment

Ripple kills caps on motherboards, but rarely anything beyond that.
                                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                          What if I were to take the input filtering attached to an AC receptacle off a different power supply and wire it to the PCB, replace the only coil it has with a bigger one, and put some higher quality input caps in there, think that would make the input adequate? I probably wouldn't do it just because I don't trust this thing but still curious if that would help it enough
                                          No, that wouldn't help. It's more to do with the topology. It's a flyback converter, not a forward converter, which produce far more ripple.

The input filtering will improve the interference that the PSU generates, and the primary caps will improve the holdup time.

Comment

Working...
                                          X