X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
    Another way to tell without even looking is if you remember whether it had a rocker switch or not. The HP-P3507F5s do, the HP-P3527F3s don't.
    Sorry I forgot to check but it does not have a rocker switch on it
    Originally posted by jamesbo View Post
    Its a Powsun, Leadman's new moniker.
    http://www.itxpower.net/english_pcpower_8869.htm
    How long ago did that happen??

Comment

No worries, it's the HP-P3527F3... which is my exact model (except mine has a manufacture date of May 2006 and yours May 2007, and both are the lead free versions I believe), meaning it has a high speed sleeve bearing fan from ADDA. If it has SATA connectors and a 24-pin ATX connector, then it's the HP-P3527F3W.
      Last edited by Wester547; 04-28-2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobcaygeon View Post
        Kentek KTPS-850

<snip>
        Not bad for a Leadman, but I dooubt it will do 850W. Might be OK as a 350, maybe 400 Watter, though.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Bought a set of screwdriver bits with almost all the obscure tips:

So i decided to "celebrate" by investigating the insides of an adapter that I had around for about a year but i couldn't open it before because it was using security screws (the ones like an Y)

Quite nice construction, tl431 reference on the secondary with the slider changing a resistor... two transistors on the primary side, the main one heatsinked well and even had thermal paste (but i didn't want to desolder it to see exactly what it was)..

cabled with heatshrink at the mains socket
          1n4001 diodes for bridge rectifier (quite enough for a 12w max adapter)
          fuse
          22uF 400v main cap (jicon 105c)
          2 105c 470uF 25v on the secondary that I don't recognize the logo (like a pyramid viewed from above), with K vent.
          quite big clearance between the sides, y cap for emi filtering...

quite nice for something that was under 10$
          Attached Files

Comment

1N4001 diodes would blow up when used on the high voltage of the mains! Did you mean 1N4007?

Anyways that pcb is of a crappy material, and likely rifeking caps too ... yuck!
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It's also just a two transistor circuit and but at least it does not use the killer cap.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

1N4001 diodes would blow up when used on the high voltage of the mains! Did you mean 1N4007?
                Yeah, probably. I only saw the 1n40 part so assumed 4001 without thinking about the maximum voltage.

Anyways that pcb is of a crappy material, and likely rifeking caps too ... yuck!
                It's paper pcb, but do you think it really makes any difference when it's a 12v 1A max power supply? IMHO it doesn't matter at all.

Ran this for hours with a couple of 12v fans (so about 0.4A) and it barely got warm, so not too concerned about the capacitors, it probably only goes up to 40-50c.

I didn't even expect the transistors to have a heatsink so I was a bit surprised seeing even thermal paste and heatsink and the pcb locking in place on top of the channels for the screws.

It's not just a pcb that slides between two plastic poles like I see on some Chinese adapters.

Comment

Believe it or not, a beautiful looking Allied. Built by Solytech but still....

For input it has 4 Y caps, 3 X caps, 2 coils and an MOV. Switchers are made by Fairchild, huge transformers Surprised to see Teapo in a Solytech I thought they would have used YC. I will probably replace all the Teapo though except for the primary cap, I might order one anyways though... The soldering, not so good

On the secondary it has dual 30A shottky's for 5V and 3.3V and dual 50A schottky's for 12V and it even has OCP. The fan is a sleeve bearing Globe Fan I will probably relube it. I like this PSU for only $28
                  Attached Files

Comment

Solytech SL-8600EPS. Quite well performing units.

Comment

epower, so topower? Although it has ZU on the transformer, so Zumax?...I don't think it could do 600W but it looks to be a decently built power supply, I was thinking maybe 400W?

The input caps look good (and they're actually rated at 105C), it's got a nice input filter with MOV's, and surprisingly a 10A bridge rectifier. Couldn't find any datasheets for the primary MOSFET's, there are 2 and they say P1488 on them. Transformer looks good...it has a S30D45CS shottky for 3.3V and 5V, and two MBR20100CT rectifiers for the 12V, it has two groups of 12V wiring but no OCP as far as I'm aware...All the secondary caps are YHC (never heard of them) and ChengX (Just on the 12V) Think it could do 400W?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                        Couldn't find any datasheets for the primary MOSFET's, there are 2 and they say P1488 on them.
                        Should be NPN BJTs, not MOSFETs since this is a half-bridge design. I couldn't find any info either, though.

All the secondary caps are YHC (never heard of them)
                        Judging by the "LOWESR" written on their sleeves, I can kind of guess how "good" their quality is .

Think it could do 400W?
                        Depends on what the primary transistors are rated for. The secondary side filtering looks average, so I would say 350W yes, but 400W... maybe
                        (that is, if you want ripple to be in spec too).

Are the two 20A rectifiers for the 12V going to two separate 12V rails or are they in parallel? If the latter, don't expect to be able to pull 40A on the 12V rail.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          Should be NPN BJTs, not MOSFETs since this is a half-bridge design. I couldn't find any info either, though.

Judging by the "LOWESR" written on their sleeves, I can kind of guess how "good" their quality is .

Depends on what the primary transistors are rated for. The secondary side filtering looks average, so I would say 350W yes, but 400W... maybe
                          (that is, if you want ripple to be in spec too).

Are the two 20A rectifiers for the 12V going to two separate 12V rails or are they in parallel? If the latter, don't expect to be able to pull 40A on the 12V rail.
                          You're right they're probably BJT's. They're good sized at least.
                          I will replace all the caps except those Fhy ones. If i increase the capacitance with better caps it should be in spec? It has 2x 3300uF for 12V plus an inductor. I will have to double check to see if those rectifiers are in parallel or not

Comment

If i increase the capacitance with better caps it should be in spec? It has 2x 3300uF for 12V plus an inductor. I will have to double check to see if those rectifiers are in parallel or not
                            Actually, the 2x 3300uF should be more than enough. I ASSumed 2x 1000 uF, which is standard on most cheapo PSUs.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              Actually, the 2x 3300uF should be more than enough. I ASSumed 2x 1000 uF, which is standard on most cheapo PSUs.
                              They are 10mm ChengX though. Not sure if I can fit good caps in there most are 12.5mm

Comment

I don't know, those look really small to be 3300uF @ 16v

There are Panasonic FR 1800uF 16v @ 10x25mm , 10k hours @ 105c.

For 300-450w power supplies, they should be enough to keep ripple to reasonable levels.

There's FR, 2200uF 10v @ 10x25, still 10k hours @ 105c

If there's pi filter arrangement there, then they should really be enough to keep ripple and stuff in check.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post

There are Panasonic FR 1800uF 16v @ 10x25mm , 10k hours @ 105c.

For 300-450w power supplies, they should be enough to keep ripple to reasonable levels.

There's FR, 2200uF 10v @ 10x25, still 10k hours @ 105c

If there's pi filter arrangement there, then they should really be enough to keep ripple and stuff in check.
                                  Cool, thanks for the info I will order some and I will test the values of those ChengX caps and report the values

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                    While I agree that high capacitance capacitors should be of larger can sizes I have seen great variation in capacitor can sizes even amid Japanese manufactures. I have seen 1500uF, 10V capacitors look beefy and large and 4700uF, 10V capacitors not look so huge... I don't think it's a surefire way to gauge what a capacitor's true value is without either testing it or looking at the sleeve of an honest manufacture. That being said, larger can sizes are desirable for their higher ripple rating and lower ESR rating (so long as it isn't too low), and since this is ChengX we're talking about, I wouldn't be surprised if they did lie about their capacitance.... they could be 2200uF 16V x2 in actuality, but even that would be fine (value wise at least...). The two 20A rectifiers in parallel won't beget you 480W on the +12V rail since the PSU can't output that but it will increase efficiency, which is what matters IMO.
                                    Last edited by Wester547; 05-04-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I have Samxon RS 3300 uF/16 V in D10 on the way if you are interested…
                                      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I'm not claiming anything about the capacitors being fake or not. They're just suppositions. I agree the size doesn't always mean anything, there's lots of various sizes.

Some other guesses... they might be 3300uF 16v, but they might be only 85c capacitors labeled as 105c or who knows, the aluminum can might be super thin allowing for a bit more capacitance compared to brand name capacitors, or they might be 3100uF which is close enough to 3300uF (20% tolerance) etc etc

Comment

Well from what I have seen so far, crap manufacturers and Samxon only have such capacitance in D10. As for Samxon, I think the quality is proven now. As for the rest, the "quality" is proven as well, isn't it I think it is not uncommon for some of them to hold nominal capacitance even for just weeks after coming from factory, right.
                                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                          X