Advice for HP Compaq Presario CQ50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for HP Compaq Presario CQ50

So , there is this laptop.It will start when pressing power button.
    When plug in adapter the white led is on.When press start the power button led is white and the wireless led is orange.

I can see that the backlight from screen comes on (I can make it brighter or less with Fn+F5/F6 I believe)

But I cannot go into Bios and there is no post.No splash screen or tekst.
    But when it all has finished - I see the DOS Command cursor flashing in the upper left corner ....

Any ideas what this is ? It has an AMD Sempron CPU and a Nvidia GPU.

Is the GPU bad ? And is it worth to fix this laptop ??
    I think that it is from 2007

When pressing down the power button it will not turn off (I must disconnect the battery or the adapter to let it turn off....

Re: Advice for HP Compaq Presario CQ50

Try to Flash Bios first

Comment

amd sempron means it have ati or nvidia NB. both are badly revision. just heat it up to 120c let it cool for a minute and try to start

Comment

This may not have a defective revision of the NVidia MCP. So try to flash the BIOS first, and if it doesn't work take a picture of the die of the MCP.
        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

just a suggestion. if you can see dos pronpt or any thing in the screen it means 80 % of the BGA nvdia, cpu, and the lcd are good. try flashing it with new bios, try to remove all the connecting parts leaving only the mobo. and fire it up connect only the lcd, memory and power to isolate the problem. try to check the memory since in some model it uses part of the memory for video ram.
          Never stop LEARNING because life never stops TEACHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Duranitron View Post
            just a suggestion. if you can see dos pronpt or any thing in the screen it means 80 % of the BGA nvdia, cpu, and the lcd are good. try flashing it with new bios, try to remove all the connecting parts leaving only the mobo. and fire it up connect only the lcd, memory and power to isolate the problem. try to check the memory since in some model it uses part of the memory for video ram.
            not right. he see it after some time, so IGP can be self heated and video came on.
            if u wanna something diagnose always use external display. internal only when board start vith no picture

Comment

@ktmmotocross ,

The Dos prompt is there after the post is finished.This is Always the same - no matter how many times I try.

When I take out the RAM module the laptop will not start -

I also checked with external display - it is the same routine (so it probably is not a defective GPU Nvidia)

I have disassembled the laptop and cleaned the fan (there was a lot of dust inside )
              All pins from the LCD are straight and not bend ( yes I know what can happen with a bended pin )

I will now try to flash the bios first and try some more things.

Must try to find a good dump bios ...

Comment

@piernov ,

This is what is on the Nvidia chip : U806D445 - 0827A2
                S Taiwan
                PA7153.S1P
                MCP77MV - A2

Comment

Update on this repair :

I ordered a new W25X80 bios chip - I flashed the chip with dumped bios from SMDFlea
                  and the laptop is booting / post etc

So , thanks for the help ...

Comment

Working...
                  X