How to troubleshoot NO POST - DELL XPS 9550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to troubleshoot NO POST - DELL XPS 9550

I have XPS 9550 WITH LA-361P REV 2 / TRIPOD motherboard. System will not POST (no Dell splash). If you hit power on, power light will turn on for 4 seconds and will turn off. USB is accessed during those seconds. No function keys (F2 F12) do anything so system will not get into bios setup or diagnostics. Screen blank during this process. However, "D" key + power-on will go through graphic testing so screen is working and keyboard input is obviously working.

Suspected BIOS issue but after create USB bios disk, <ctrl><esc> power cord inserted will NOT result in bios reload. No blink codes. Removed/swapped memory and no change.

I have inspected motherboard and no obvious physical damage, component all look clean. This unit just failed to boot one day. Wondering if this might be an bios issue.

So tell me if I am thinking right, if system can recognize the "D" key + power on to execute the screen test, doesn't that mean most/all of motherboard is working at least in regard to CPU? The fact that USB drive is accessed (ie, light turns on for a second), that means something is directing it to do that?

What is going on with POST test? How do I figure out what is going on? I tried to replace bios chip from eBay with current bios but that did not seem to make a difference.

I love to solve this on my own as a software issue but I am willing to send to someone who can properly diagnose and repair. I already got "ripped off" by sending it to a company in TX who claimed to do component repair but simply said motherboard needed to be replaced.

Can someone lead me to document on what happens during POST on a Dell? Obviously the POST is not completing but how can I tell if it even starts?

Re: How to troubleshoot NO POST - DELL XPS 9550

Well I just had such an issue with a HP Compaq CQ50 - see my recent post - at the start up , I only had the DOS command cursor blinking in the upper left corner of the screen.

I tried to program the bios chip with a bios bin file , but it would not work.It turned out that the bios chip was defective.

Replacing it with a new chip and programming a new bin file was the solution ..

Comment

Working...
    X