Amico Capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amico Capacitors

Hi guys. I saw some Amico branded capacitors on Amazon. They're really cheap and appear to of Chinese origin. Some of the reviews say they've used them for Audio repairs and various projects with good results. Nothing with respect to motherboards though. Anyone used this brand to recap a motherboard? Appreciate your feedback.

Re: Amico Capacitors

Haven't heard of them. Sounds like they might be OK for general purpose usage, but motherboard filter capacitors are a very high stress usage. I would recommend not using them to repair motherboards.

I wish I could suggest something that would work for you - knowing what brands and series are good is relatively easy, but I don't know what would be available to you in Trinidad. If Newark, Farnell, Element14 or DigiKey (all are distributors, not manufacturers) sell to Trinidad, those would be good starting places.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Any pictures of them?
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

One word... nope.

Comment

Sorry for the late response guys, appreciate your responses.

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
          Haven't heard of them. Sounds like they might be OK for general purpose usage, but motherboard filter capacitors are a very high stress usage. I would recommend not using them to repair motherboards.

I wish I could suggest something that would work for you - knowing what brands and series are good is relatively easy, but I don't know what would be available to you in Trinidad. If Newark, Farnell, Element14 or DigiKey (all are distributors, not manufacturers) sell to Trinidad, those would be good starting places.

That's exactly the problem PeteS. Any of the quality items that I need must be imported. Most of what's available here are generic brands...you never know what you're going to get.

I took a chance and ordered the Amicos already though. The set I ordered were labelled specifically for Motherboards. They should be here sometime this week. I'll install them and report on how they fare.

Thanks again.

Comment

If they are ordinary low ESR, it will probably work OK, but they will not last very long.

If they are general purpose I don't expect them to work at all.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I got them and replaced 4 bad caps on a Dell Dimension 4550 Mobo. The board is behaving the same as before: sometimes it boots to bios, but at no time does it get to the OS splash screen.

Can't say for certain that these new caps are no good as the mobo may have other problems with it.

I've attached a couple of pictures to show what they look like.
              Attached Files

Comment

The ones in the picture aren't Amico, they're made by ChongX :

http://www.chongx.cn/en/cp_view.asp?id=567

But on their site , the CD110X are only rated for 2000h @ 85c

Still crappy capacitors but they would at least get the board running. But your motherboard probably also has some capacitors that are not swollen or visibly bad and those still affect how the board works.

Comment

Wow...so Cheng, Chang, ChengX, and ChongX must be the same company?

Comment

No, Chang are Changzhou Huawei Electronics Co., Ltd and they're basically from 1987, so they should know something about capacitors:

http://www.huaweiec.cn/product_list_e.asp

I didn't see a lot of them fail, and even my Tenma linear power supply uses Chang exclusively and I'm not gonna bother replacing them.

These ChongX are (supposedly) made by "Changzhou Hua Hong Electronics Co.", and these started in '98.

They seem to be copying the Chang logo (but it's O instead of A and the N is much thinner)

http://www.chongx.cn/en/about.asp

later edit: and there's also chengx, chong etc.. clones or relabeled or no longer made stuff : http://translate.google.com/translat...chengx&act=url
                    Last edited by mariushm; 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM.

Comment

cheap capacitors are never a bargain - just import the good stuff (Rubycon, Chemicon, Panasonic, Nichicon) and even if it seems expensive, it is still a very cheap way to get a computer running again.

PS - Cheech & Chong brand is my favorite!

Last edited by theOracle; 01-14-2013, 04:53 AM.

the BIG 4

~~~ the top tier of low-ESR electrolytic capacitors ~~~

Comment

beat me to it!
                        Originally posted by theOracle View Post
                        cheap capacitors are never a bargain - just import the good stuff (Rubycon, Chemicon, Panasonic, Nichicon) and even if it seems expensive, it is still a very cheap way to get a computer running again.

PS - Cheech & Chong brand is my favorite!

Comment

Originally posted by 3300uf View Post
                          I got them and replaced 4 bad caps on a Dell Dimension 4550 Mobo. The board is behaving the same as before: sometimes it boots to bios, but at no time does it get to the OS splash screen.

Can't say for certain that these new caps are no good as the mobo may have other problems with it.

I've attached a couple of pictures to show what they look like.
                          Those are utter garbage, but one would expect them to at least get the board up and running for a few days. Pop open the power supply and have a look, you probably have a bunch of bad caps in there too.

Comment

Those Dimension 4550 boards are surprisingly tolerant of bad caps. My parents have been running one for years with bad caps in the power supply and motherboard, and it is still stable.

Comment

Working...
                            X