Samsung RV420 wont turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung RV420 wont turn on

Good day to all. I need some help finding fault on this laptop. The unit wont turn on. When I attach charger, light indicator on both charger and laptop blinks.

I suspect a short. I removed the nec tokin capacitor because I suspect the short came from there. After changing to 4 tantalum caps, laptop turns on for a couple of seconds and becomes short again. I've checked and removed tantalum caps and found 3 of the tantalum capacitors became short.

After removing tantalums caps, I checked pads and found no unusual reading on meter diode mode. I press power button laptop turns on but ISL95831 is getting hot, this is without tantalum caps.

I removed 2 coils (L2 and L3 not sure) laptop turns on and ISL95831 is not heating up.

Up to this point I'm at dead end. Its hard to trace because motherboard has no label on it. Its possible to do this by a having a boardview which I could not find on the net.

As of now I will try to remove 4 fets at a time (Q513, Q512, Q515 and Q514) This is just my guess. Hope to hear from you guys, Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung RV420 wont turn on

You seems to be thinking on the right track. Check all VRM mosfets and if all ok then peerhaps try changing ISL95831. Good Luck,

Comment

what i've been trying to do now it to remove components at a time. It seems I cannot find short using diode mode test. meter seems to be fine.

Comment

Most likely, the high side MOSFET is leaky, possibly the culprit is the one that destroyed your tantalum caps. Also check the CPU, it might be affected, too.

Comment

I found aon6414a nChannel fet shorted. The only problem now is I dont have same model for replacement. All I have here are some NTMFS4935N, NTMFS4936N, NTMFS4935N and this TPCA8055-H. I dont exactly know if these are compatible. Hope you can give your thoughts. Thanks.

Comment

Replacing Q514 solved my issue. Short is gone and laptop is now turning on. By the way Instead of AON6414A, I used AON6428. I'm not 100% sure if its compatible although its stable as of now. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
            X