Car radio stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car radio stopped working

Strange... With the hot weather, suddenly my car's broadcast receiver stopped working. It had been working fine. I hear noise only when I turn up the volume all the way. I can "tune" but the noise silencer silences the noise after a second...

Cassette player still works.

Antenna failure, frontend RF amplifier failure, dunno yet, I haven't pulled the head unit from the vehicle yet...

Hmm.

Re: Car radio stopped working

maybe there is nothing on air?
    or your antenna is unplugged or damaged

Comment

Damn. wasn't as simple as a disconnected antenna. Wonder if this 1995 radio has electronic or switch switching of audio vs cassette...

Wonder how much effort I should try to fix this or find another one from a boneyard.

Comment

Ugh. Custom components, this is going nowhere fast. Some people have reported reflowing repairing the radios but I chalk that up to dumb luck... heck I wonder if I buttoned the radio back up without doing anything, it'd start working again...

Comment

check antenna connections . might have corrosion where it connects to the body .

Comment

AM works, FM does not work. Tuner problem. Has COB's. Probably lost cause.

Comment

Thinking for now I should jury rig a line-in so I can at least use the PA, but probably will need to replace. Now figuring out where to tap in...

Comment

is it DIN format, or some custom face shape?

Comment

Almost DIN but not quite... About 1.5 DIN. Front face is not part of the panel, at least, but the unit is attached at the front so the mounting kit needs to have that adapter else nowhere to attach it to the vehicle.

Comment

Does it have an active antenna? I have seen these get water in them and then croak.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                      AM works, FM does not work. Tuner problem. Has COB's. Probably lost cause.
                      I don't think I saw the term COB before when used with a radio. What's that?

I can think of COF, for chip-on-film, which can be miserable!
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Same as the usual definition - chip on board, one of the daughterboards has two dies (dice?) black epoxied onto the board itself...

... if someone thinks of sanding off tops of ICs, try identifying ICs that are epoxied on the board!

Active antenna? Don't know, don't think I have an RF preamp. The troubleshooting guide in the service manual says "exchange radio" ...

Comment

so does it have a real antenna, or is it using the screen heater or a tiny fin?

Comment

Real antenna. Not even a power antenna, just a real antenna.
                            I don't think I'd be getting AM stations if the antenna was borked, so I have to rule out the antenna...

Comment

you might get AM ok even with marginal antenna .. i have been in plenty of cars that only get AM because of it . FM likes a ground connection . well thats what i find .

Comment

Active antenna pre-amps can get water in or a bad connection on power, and almost a total loss of FM signal. AM makes it through anything.
                                Or the coax can get water in it, try ohmmeter it.
                                In the shop we just poked a jumper on the antenna jack to see what happens.
                                People put in aftermarket radios and the antenna stops working mysteriously. They forget to keep power to the antenna or bias-tee, which the stock radio provided.

In car radios, I find it's almost always broken solder joints. Tapping the pc boards to flush that out. Unless lightning/static zapped the front-end hard, but there's usually a gas-tube there.

Comment

Most curious. Tuned to a known FM station I poked the antenna wire with a metal wire and... well... still dead.

... however I hear popping...

HMM...

Comment

Well, today's debug session was kind of annoying.

I had broken the power output lead in my bench PSU, and was wondering why my radio didn't work at all on my bench. Finally tried shorting the output cable expecting the current to go up... it didn't. Alligator clip wire was found to be broken.

So I needed to resolder. My 100W solder gun is now taking forever to heat up... well, guess what, I need a new tip for it. Grr. Well, I just let it heat up however slowly it does and finally was able to resolder the alligator clip to the wire.

Now my radio powers up on the bench. With the pinout in hand I probed the pins... Glad I have a 300MHz scope (or too lazy to get the frequency counter set up) and confirmed the local oscillator is dead or at least it doesn't trigger the rest of the PLL circuit to work properly. Since the LO is on the COB TEMIC module, debug stops here, need to locate another TEMIC module to repair the radio.

Comment

COB Hell.

Yes there's more components on the other side, though covered by the shield.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

pull the shield.
                                        just from that picture i think it may recover just with a good fluxing and a re-heat of each joint.
                                        though from experience with sattelite tuners i would test the semiconductors - they are probably on the edge of there rating

Comment

Working...
                                        X