Old but unused Dell Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old but unused Dell Monitor

I just broke the factory seal on a Dell (Philips) monitor that was manufactured in July of 2010.

I decided to check the power supply board (see image) before I even powered up the monitor for the first time.

The following is a list of the electrolytic capacitors. Are any of these more urgent than the others to replace?

C605
    Lelon A207(M)
    120uF 450v

C501, C503, C505
    FDAI
    220uF 10v

C521, C522, C855
    Elite
    220uF 25v

C606
    Lelon
    A032(M)
    33uF 50v

C851
    Elite
    220uF 35v

C703
    FDAI
    470uF 25v

C707, C708
    nichicon HE(M)
    680uF 16v

C704, C801
    Lelon
    330uF 35v

I did later power up the monitor, and it does work fine. The best parts are the two nichicon parts (C707, C708) on the secondary. Even though they are all unused, they are all 11 years old.

This power supply board is not very commonly available on the used market, so I'd like to protect it from the old capacitors causing the failure of other components. Should all of caps be replaced?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by slap_happy; 10-24-2021, 12:15 AM.

Re: Old but unused Dell Monitor

Hello

I think yes to be in safe side. In a 11 years old capacitor the electrolyt could harm the body it self. The cost of set of new capacitors including big one ( i guess 120uF 450V) are nothing compare to the value of "new" monitor. Did you visually checked the capacitors on video board too?

Comment

I would probably do a complete recap myself only because if the quality of the capacitor are in question and because it sat in storage for so long and you probably do not know what conditions the place where the storage took place
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

dont spend a penny on ANY monitor until you get it to display an image.
        panels fail a lot and you wont know till you try it if the bonded cables have failed and put lines on the screen!!!
        specially on 2010 ish DELL crap - i have about 8 of them that work and have binned atleast 4 with bad panels.

incase your wondering, i dont buy monitors - i recover ones that companies throw out during upgrades.
        i would never risk spending even the cost of a beer on a dell monitor!
        Last edited by stj; 11-19-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

yeah... i wouldn't spend a cent on a dell either, unless i have something kicking around in my parts bin. just run it like that until it dies.

Comment

Working...
          X