PS3 PSU (APS-231) Voltage mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PS3 PSU (APS-231) Voltage mod

it' difficult to trace it, voltages stays same all all times on pins 10 and 11 and that's weird.

Comment

also at the time of triggering OVP?

And by tracing i mean look for pcb tracks leading to the 12V output

Comment

Originally posted by domas View Post
        also at the time of triggering OVP?

And by tracing i mean look for pcb tracks leading to the 12V output
        Yes.
        I know what you mean. There are no tracks leading to 12v output as it's on other side of PSU, primary and secundary sides are only connected by optocouplers, this unit is totally different than ATX PSU's.
        I find this too difficult, so i quit for now, I must return soldering iron and multimeter to my friend.

Comment

ok. nice that at least you could crank it up to 14V. Please let us know if you continue to work on it

Comment

I already knew the solution, just solder a peice of wire at bottom of relay which is controlling everything except 5vsb, it should work, but that involves high risk as there won't be any kind of protection, no more OVP nor OCP. I would need extra cooling and measuring equipment so I can see what's safe and what isn't.

Comment

Hello, I have read this and other forums in order to assist me in modifying an aps-226 PS3 power supply for use as a cheap 18v power supply for lipo battery charging. I purchased a high power battery charger which is quite power hungry. It will allow for 12v-18v DC inlet voltage and requires a minimum of 60amps DC to output full charging capabilities. I decided to wire two of the aps-226 power supplies in parallel for a possible output of 64amps at hopefully ~18v. I first followed this article and found that connecting a 100k ohm 15turn potentiometer to pin #2 and #3 of the "L287" , described earlier in this article, will allow for an adjustable voltage of up to about 13.4v DC. At ~13.4v DC the OVP circuit will trip shutting down the power supply for about one minute. I have now found that by modifying the input voltage of of the optocoupler for the OVP circuit with resistors in order to adjust the max voltage of the OVP. If you look at the back side of the aps-226 PCB you will find one of the optocouplers labeled "12v OVP". If you lift the two pins one the secondary side of the PCB and solder two resistors of equal value between the PCB and optocoupler pins you can trick the OVP circuit to think it has less voltage than what truley exists. I ended up using an 1/8watt 260kohm resistor to achieve the voltage I needed. Be sure to upgrade all 16v capacitors to 25v to avoid smoking them. If needing above 16v be sure to also replace all three of the 2.2ohm 2watt resistors on output rail with 2.2ohm 5watt.

Hope this helps somebody, good day

Comment

Hello,
                I have also this psu lying around. And I would like to use it with my hobby charger (input voltage 11-24v).
                If I change the psu-s output caps and resistors, then what would be the safe max voltage for this psu?
                24v would be ideal to get max power out of my charger, but i guess it is too much for a 12v power supply?

And second question: if I increase the output voltage, then what about amps?
                How to calculate max amperage after voltage increase?

Thanks!

Comment

I also want to make a similar mod but with a ATX power supply instead of a PS3 one, going to open a new thread soon about it!

Comment

Working...
                  X