Leader lbo 508 oscilloscope help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leader lbo 508 oscilloscope help

Good day folks. Some of you may remember that a while back I posted about this scope, how I found it in our junk pile at work and decided to have a play with it. Well in the meantime, my "colleague" took on the challenge himself and wouldn't let me go near it, so I don't know what he's done to it or how it actually behaves, because I haven't plugged it in.

Now, it has landed on my table at last and he told me "it's got poor sensitivity"...is that a thing with scopes ? "Low sensitivity" ? Now I don't know sh!t about scopes TBH, so it's a learning experience for me too.

I took a peek inside and noticed two varistors with cracks in them on the board with the large caps on it (see the pics). I swear, I suck at this CRT stuff In the schematic I attached, on page 37, they're D116 and D117. 102K would imply they're 1000v varistors, which the schematic indeed confirms. I couldn't find the exact datasheet, but a fairly close one hinted that I was right: 1000v. They read completely open with my meter. Now why would they pop ? From what I can assume: the transformer on the left (PT101) chucks out 930v. It goes through the large C117 "oil capacitor" and into the string of diodes which rectifies it in negative, so only the negative peaks go through. For those to pop, it would mean the voltage went higher than 2000v, which is what the little label tag TP.5 tells us it's supposed to be on that point, so perhaps it was a simple overvoltage scenario, since I don't see any regulation to prevent it: it relies solely on the stability of the mains input. Any fluctuations on the mains will show up on the output on that X-former, thereby affecting the point after the diodes too. If it got a surge on the primary hard enough, the secondary voltage could've ramped up....just a theory.

Aside from that, since that's certainly not the problem (I'm betting it would work without the varistors entirely) what should I look out for in a generic sort of way ? Any specific parts on old scopes that go bad faster and easier than others ? It's only a speculative discussion at this point since without plugging it in and showing you chaps what it actually does, it's hard to pinpoint. Photos are pretty random too, since there's a lot of space to cover and I didn't catch everything. I can provide better ones if needed. Cheers guys. Thank you.
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Leader lbo 508 oscilloscope help

vdr's can fail with age,
    desolder them and meter them - i bet they show resistance.

Comment

I did but they don't: no reading at all, so that's why I'm saying they're "good". A friend of mine who's also into electronics and who owns an electronics supply shop from whom I wanted to purchase replacements said that's just the coating cracked due to heat and not actual damage, so they can be reused as such or even omitted entirely, which I agree: they're not the problem here, since the chap said the scope does turn on but doesn't behave properly...I'm guessing it doesn't show the correct values or something...
      Wattevah...

Comment

I agree the the varistors are likely ok and just the coating cracked, Find out what the problem is. Likely dirty switch contacts due to the lack of use.

Comment

Hm...that would be pretty cool if all that was wrong with it were some bad contacts.

Another question: do scope probes have something "special" in them or are they just conveniences ? I'm asking because someone, before me, removed the front panel and in doing so clipped off the center wire of the BNC connectors for the inputs because they couldn't undo the nuts holding the BNC connectors onto the panel and if someone were to attempt to measure something by hooking an alligator clip straight to the wire coming from the board, without a probe, would it work (provided they hooked GND to the chassis) ? I also haven't seen this old chap having any scope probes around, so maybe that's what he tried doing and got funky results...I doubt he's that dumb though, plus it could work. Again, bare with me as I haven't played with scopes ever before, so this is pretty exciting and I'm like a kid walking into a toy store
          Wattevah...

Comment

NO don't run it without the varistors.

They are used as high voltage zeners for the scope, and in the HV power supply as a shunt regulator.

The Marcon oil-filled caps are probably toast, they do not last for some reason.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginn...nterpretation/
            Last edited by redwire; 01-07-2019, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I shall give it a read, so from what I gather, any 1kV MOV will do for those guys ?
              Wattevah...

Comment

See if this helps, the voltage is kind of missleading 102k 1000v @1mA
                This page seems to lists the toshiba http://ashop.bg/termis-pozis-varisto...a-toshiba-1fxg

This looks close TND14V-102KB00AAA0 (Page23)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by R_J; 01-07-2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

make sure you dont use smaller ones, the size is an indication of the energy it can clamp.

Comment

I think TNR 15 series is 17mm dia.? Bourns MOV14D pdf 14mm but diagram shows 16.5mm max dia. and all I see for 1kV parts, no larger but maybe Epcos has some.

Testpoint TP-5 is -2,000V so D116 and D117 are 1,000V varistors.

102K015 1,000V@1mA MOV-14D102K
                    820K015 820V@1mA MOV-14D821K
                    681K015 680V@1mA MOV-14D681K
                    561K015 560V@1mA MOV-14D561K
                    Last edited by redwire; 01-07-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

How are the other two mov's D118 & D119 ?
                      This site has some info also (the lbo508 they repaired uses 681k in that location) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair...oscope-no-crt/

These might be the ones TNR15G102K United Chemi-con
                      Last edited by R_J; 01-07-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

The MOVs are probably used to protect the tube from arcing internally. Older designs sometimes use neon lamps to do the same, as they also have the negative resistance needed.

Definitely make sure there are no dirty contacts. It's the first thing to check with a malfunctioning scope.

Scope probes tend to be lower capacitance than regular coax, and as it's coax it shields the signal from other sources. It also may have a resistive divider and compensation network for the capacitance of the probe. If you're measuring lower frequencies you probably won't notice anything different with clip wires, but higher frequencies may have artifacts...

Comment

Here's another thing I noticed, though again, I'm not sure it's entirely related: some of these Nippon Chemi-Cons have this black....stuff at their ends which seems to rub off if I try to wipe it, so could it be they're going bad ? Again, it's likely not related to the main issue, but still...in fact I put back the varistors at my "shop master's" request....on your head then, pops Haven't tried it yet...still waiting for his "signal".
                          Attached Files
                          Wattevah...

Comment

the black is oxide from the spot welds.
                            those may be fucked btw,
                            in my experience low value high voltage caps fail relativly fast.

Comment

That looks like splatter from the (-) weld to the can.

I think with old electrolytic caps the first failure-mode is drying out, as the rubber bung shrinks and leaks with age?
                              They probably need reforming if the scope was sitting for years.

Anyone know why the Marcon oil-filled HV caps fail? They go low value and I thought oil doesn't evaporate easily. Unless they are an oil/electrolytic hybrid.
                              "Established in 1942 by the Toshiba Corporation, Marcon Electronics Co., Ltd. was acquired by Nippon Chemi-Con in 1995."

I would recap the scope, those caps are all pretty old.

Comment

Today I measured the "oil caps" (in circuit, mind you which is usually ill-advised, but it wasn't meant to be an exhaustive test - just a quick one) and my meter showed me around 500mF - not uF, but mF which I believe is correct nonetheless, because it's milli-farads, so 500 of those add up to the 0.5uF printed on the cans...so there was that.

I also knocked out one of those electroltytics (C113 or C114 from the 200v output), again just for the sake of it and this time, instead of 47uF, I got something like 63-64uF if memory serves...would that be considered too far out of whack ? Without an actual powerup, I'm just speculating here....then again, I don't want this thing blowing up in my face....call me unprofessional for believing in such clichees, but I've always had a fear of CRTs TBH and it sort of stuck, despite technically being an "authorized" technician I don't claim anything...I like being honest and alive than brave and zapped

EDIT: whenever I see any CRT, I expect to see a LOPT inside...how come this one just uses a "semi-HV" tap off of a regular transformer and then uses a ladder to increase it even more ? Why don't TV sets use the same principle ? I imagine because they require much higher voltages which can only be produced with a LOPT, otherwise it would be inefficient...just a quick thought that ran through my head just now as I was tinkering with this thing...
                                Last edited by Dannyx; 01-09-2019, 09:11 AM.
                                Wattevah...

Comment

when an electrolytic shows noticably higher than it's marked value, it's always been leaky as hell on my tester!!

btw, i'v worked with industrial monitors for decades - crt's are not a problem.
                                  what is a problem are faulty "tripplers" - epoxy blocks containing diode-cap multipliers.
                                  that and large electrolytics that decide to go boom when your near them - fuck i hate cleaning that up!!
                                  it's like satan made party-poppers - instead of streamers you get bits of chemical-soaked paper everywhere!!
                                  Last edited by stj; 01-09-2019, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                    when an electrolytic shows noticably higher than it's marked value, it's always been leaky as hell on my tester!!

btw, i'v worked with industrial monitors for decades - crt's are not a problem.
                                    what is a problem are faulty "tripplers" - epoxy blocks containing diode-cap multipliers.
                                    that and large electrolytics that decide to go boom when your near them - fuck i hate cleaning that up!!
                                    it's like satan made party-poppers - instead of streamers you get bits of chemical-soaked paper everywhere!!
                                    i was reading this thread earlier about a home made trippler on a oscilloscope
                                    https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...80/#msg1158080

Comment

I thought that most CRTs used voltage multipliers - frequently built into the high voltage transformer - because getting all those windings insulated from each other is kind of tough.

Which is kind of annoying, as indeed those multipliers fail too, and being potted with the transformer usually means that's the FRU.
                                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 01-09-2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

i think modern lopts are all-windings, they do use series-diodes to handle the voltage though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X