This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

How would doing that force the old BCN system into retirement?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
      Because it's a tower server, not a rackmount. Sure, he could recase them... but the big "point" of such a server is that it *is* a massive tower!

To be honest, this is why I didn't expect Topcat to be interested when I passed along the finding of such racks (or rather, Purdue Surplus posted such on their facebook page and my mom noticed!

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      Ah, what a better thing to do on a sunny day, no?

Really cool pictures, BTW!

That neighborhood reminds me of what this place kind of looked like 20 years ago before every little house sold and got torn down for one of those newer "McMansions".
      That's where I lived before I moved out to Madison. Good old New Albany, IN.

I'm assuming the masked guy is TC?? He looks like a total Ninja, lol.
      Nope, that's my dad. I'm the guy in the tan work jacket. Remember, these were taken from my parents' house (why I'd be leaving with the racks loaded in the truck).

It's good to hear they are selling their old equipment.

Here, it all just goes to "recyclers" now. Every once in a while, I might see one in the local CL from a local office disbanding / moving and selling old equipment. But from what I've seen, most racks didn't look anywhere near as good. I recall only one did, and of course it got taken very quickly. Not that I was looking to buy it or anything. But curious anyways, as usual.
      I've gotten a lot of stuff from there over the years. Such as my black sheep Dell Latitude D630 (that I got a lot of hate here and in person for, why I call it the black sheep)... and countless other things. They sell anything Purdue wants to get rid of... vehicles, industrial/commercial/lab equipment... office supplies... anything non-perishable. Also impounded (abandoned) bicycles (I've bought a few, they're mostly Walmart POSs, but legit ones have shown up on occasion). A lot of stuff does get recycled if it doesn't sell (or can't be sold)... but most of that is junk we wouldn't want anyway.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
        ...because the right combination of hardware and also being able to house all the networking equipment in there would definitely doom the old 'black beauty' into obsolescence. Since it's also fully enclosed & secure, it's also a great place to house components that run the security system. As thick as it is, it would easily stop a .22 round and likely larger.....by the time someone busted into it, they'd already have been 'had'..... Of course, this build (or series of builds) will take some time & planning....it will be a complete revamping....which is needed, there's a reason I've never shown what's inside the network cabinet where the patch panel & other networking hardware lives.....

The minute RD said fully enclosed beige, I got real excited!!

Thanks again Ratdude!
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

If the beige one is in the garage, I guess it must be too big for the electronics work area, lol.
          They're both about the same size.....but they fit in the electronics room....the black one on casters for sure. As for the shower stall comment, I can stand in it and completely turn around!! ....so if all else fails!!

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...5&postcount=69
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            Another cheap pickup (basically the cost of shipping). When I spotted it, I was more interested in the very vintage (circa 1992) Enlight AT full tower case.....that just happen to have a Micronic 486 DX2 system in it with a blistering DX2/50 (66 @ turbo speed) CPU, 16mb RAM (HUGE expensive amount in 1992), and a blazing ISA Trident 512k GPU in it.
            The $20 gamble paid off! DX4 @ 100MHz fired right off (Intel). I didn't even have to play musical jumpers.

The full build of this will be for another time...but there's good "bones" here to work with!
            Attached Files
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

I got a 1954 RCA 44BX ribbon microphone in working condition for around 500USD. Repaired the grid, new cloth and cable. Resold for 3000USD a few months later.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                Nope, that's my dad. I'm the guy in the tan work jacket. Remember, these were taken from my parents' house (why I'd be leaving with the racks loaded in the truck).
                Doh! Of course, why would TC drive all the way to you and then both of you drive back to his place? Makes no sense indeed... but my mind's brain farts sometimes can't be helped.

Originally posted by Camarada78 View Post
                I got a 1954 RCA 44BX ribbon microphone in working condition for around 500USD. Repaired the grid, new cloth and cable. Resold for 3000USD a few months later.
                Nice!
                Always good to hear saving well-made old stuff and putting them back in service again.
                Last edited by momaka; 02-23-2021, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Brought back my old HP G6 from the grave, more or less. It had an Quanta R23 mobo, with a pretty nasty burn on the underside of a MOSFET in the charging section. Surprisingly, it charged and worked fine without it, but I wasn't going to take any more risks.

Hence why I got a free Quanta R12 (HM55+ HD6470M) from a scrapped for parts G6 (broken LCD) a friend of mine had, although I had to purchase the cooler separately (he sold the HSF before I got the mobo) and had to harvest a i3-380M from an Toshiba that is currently in pretty bad shape currently.

The only issue I face with it are of course, drivers, because HP and AMD couldn't be arsed to provide a working HD6470M driver for the HM55, only for the HM65 variant.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                  120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Was given a Dell Inspiron 24" 3464 series I3 7th gen, 16gb DDR4 RAM and a 1tb spinner today. Came from a house full of cockyroaches..... All were dead, but the exterior of the case and the stand are nasty. Case interior wasn't bad, surprisingly enough....but between the roaches & animal piss, the stand is really bad....and I can't seem to find one on ebay. Brick missing, but powered it off my bench supply and it works....but it'll need a lot of cleaning!
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Bought another G6, this time a G6-2238sq. 2nd gen Pentium B960 on a 3rd gen (HM76) mobo w/ 1GB HD7670M and 4GB (now 8) of RAM, 500GB HDD. Spark clean outside, but enough dust bunnies inside to plant a tree, as well as thermal paste that was as dry as the Sahara desert. Cleaned, repasted, and replaced the B960 with an i3-2330M (didn't push my luck trying an i7-2670QM), as well as replacing the 500GB with a brand new 2TB Seagate pull I bought last year. The only things left to do is reinstall Windows using UEFI, as the 2TB was previously used in a Acer 5750 I had before this G6, and of course the driver hunt.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Since this thread seemed kinda dead, figured I'd post a few updates.

1. Figured out both HP G6s. HP, in their absolute idiocracy (because I literally can't word it otherwise), stated that the fix for that issue would be flashing an BIOS they provide that supposedly says it has the option for switching the GPU type to fixed - thing is, most people who flashed the BIOS have NEVER got that. The only fix was installing AMD (and Intel)'s own drivers and configuring it to optimize for battery and go full high performance for AC, as well as set each program I want to use accordingly - office/home stuff uses Intel HM55 IGP, and more demanding stuff (i.e Vegas Pro and games usually) uses the 6470M (which btw is registering as 7400M series and there's nothing I can do to fix that). Same procedure was done on the G6-2000, with the mention that the 2000 doesn't have any option for switchable graphics mode whatsoever. So it's kinda like nVidia and their Optimus technology, except you don't have a clear telling sign that the dGPU is used - the only giveaway is by checking the games performance - if it lags, you're on IGP - if it runs smoothly, you're on the dGPU.

2. Have scored a nice Seagate ST31000528AS for use on my external HDD enclosure. Traded in another Seagate (a ST1000LM024) so no biggie about that.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                          Since this thread seemed kinda dead
                          I haven't gotten much lately.... :-/
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                            Since this thread seemed kinda dead
                            I've been too lazy to type a proper post with some of the stuff I've gotten lately, given all the other threads I blast with mega-posts. Otherwise, I've gotten a few things here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                              I haven't gotten much lately.... :-/
                              Same here... did get "something", but it wasn't really a "cheap/free" score.
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Scored an ASUS X54HR from a friend:

Pentium B960
                                4GB Hynix DDR3 RAM (from an HP very likely due to the CT and SPS numbers printed on it)
                                500GB Seagate HDD w/ some old games, movies and drivers for the lappy
                                Radeon HD7470M 1GB DDR3
                                battery that is in an unknown state
                                puny 3.42A cube-shaped ASUS charger that's supposedly original to the machine (yeah right. The laptop pulls at least 3.97A, so no way that thing is stock to it.)

Works fine although that puny charger got decommisioned and an properly patched up 6A Li Shin Intl. charger.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Got a Free Lenovo ThinkPad E550 that was going to the junk pile, was excited when I saw the i7 sticker but its a dual core i7, has a 2gb r7 265 though. I got 8gb ram in it now and a 500gb hitachi but going to replace it with a 250GB samsung 870 EVO.
                                  My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Scored a free Acer 7720G.

Has a G86-635-A2 chip, I'm guessing this is one of the safe chips as most pictures show white underfill similar to G9x series. C2D T5750, 3GB DDR2, 17 inch 1440x900 screen, Intel 3945ABG WLAN. Had no HDDs and charger so I had to improvise something from an ASUS charger - bent the center pin clips just a bit so they make contact with Acer's smaller center pin, and it's been working fine so far.
                                    Main rig:
                                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                    16GB DDR3-1600
                                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Figured out why the G86 was a better one in this unit. It's a 9300M G - relabeled 8400M G that uses the newer G9x underfill. Will probably swap it for a HD3470 or a 9600M w/ modded BIOS though. Will also swap in a 1920x1200 screen probably, since the stock 1440x900 it has is badly yellowed.
                                      Last edited by Dan81; 03-13-2021, 06:06 AM.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Scored one of Th3_uN1Qu3's fave machines - a 512MB 8600M based HP DV9000, model DV9730ef.

All it needed was a reflow, repaste (as the old one was horribly crappy) as well as some RAM and a ghetto charger. Has a 250GB HDD and, much to my utter surprise, an actual HD-DVD drive! (Toshiba TS-L802A I think)

Anyways, all that's left to do is check the HDD life and install 7 on it (currently has an botched incomplete 10 install)
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Had a walk-in drop a pickup load of relics....

In the pile is a custom-built system, plexiglass front & side from early 2000-ish era, has a Athlon XP in it. An IBM PS2/77 486 DX2 @ 33MHz, 16mb RAM, and a 540mb scsi hdd. Sometimes it boots, sometimes it doesn't. It's complete, even including the old clickety keyboard. There was also a complete CTX system with monitor, AMD K6-2 @ 333, 256mb RAM and a 8.4gb HDD....the oddity here was the Super 7 board with an AGP and no onboard GPU. Some HP system with an AMD Athlon in it....a Toshiba Satellite P4-era laptop without the charger....but tested off my bench supply, it works. A newer 24" Samsung LED IPS monitor, a 22" LED AOC monitor, and the usual laundry basket full of keyboards, mice, and other whatnots that breed at night.

The old IBM PS2 will be a fun one to tinker with; albeit pretty useless.... The case with the plexiglass is in very good condition....a little 'blingy' for my normal taste, but would beautifully house a VP6 retro gamer system and remain period-specific...case quality is good (not great), but not completely flimsy like today's trash. As for the rest, meh, more stuff to tinker with.
                                          Attached Files
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X