Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Cheap Chinese Soldering Plates

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
    Thanks for the idea. Kapton tape should probably work in this instance, there's little risk of the tape falling off and burning up since it's already temperature limited.

you could put a strip of spring-metal on one corner mounting hole to press the thermocouple to the plate

Comment

Just jam the thermocouple in the end between kapton tape and profile.

Comment

but thats reading the ptc and not the aluminium

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          but thats reading the ptc and not the aluminium
          As they are all touching the ptc should be the same as the aluminium.
          The flat parts are also colder than the middle, so upside down the flat surface has an uneven heat anyway.

Comment

Ok, did some testing. 3 minutes 30 seconds to 215C. Top temperature around 330C or so in another minute or so. It bounces aronud a bit between 225 and 235. I had one measurement around at 239C. I ran it on top of a marble slab, there were reviews that the feet get hot, and I believe them.

Hard to argue with the price on this one. I'll have to go through my projects and see if I need to reflow anything.

Comment

i put mine on threaded standoff posts so it is a good inch from the table

Comment

Mine rests on a silicone soldering mat. I have two large heatsinks that are the same height that sit either side to provide better support for strips. I have also got disc cut from the insulation for a log burner, good for over 1000c
                Last edited by diif; 11-05-2021, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Ok, did some testing. 3 minutes 30 seconds to 215C. Top temperature around 330C or so in another minute or so. It bounces aronud a bit between 225 and 235. I had one measurement around at 239C. I ran it on top of a marble slab, there were reviews that the feet get hot, and I believe them.

Hard to argue with the price on this one. I'll have to go through my projects and see if I need to reflow anything.
                  Were these test at 120 volts or 240 volts which version do you have that you did testing on
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                  10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                  6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                  1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                  25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                  6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply
                  1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                  2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                  All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

pretty sure he used 120v, because at 240v they heat a lot faster than that!

Comment

pretty sure he used 120v, because at 240v they heat a lot faster than that!
                      Yes, tested at 120v.

Comment

How are people getting the hot pc board off the plate? My luck, I would bump it and have parts all over the place. There needs to be a lift or something?

clearchris, can you measure ohms cold and hot of the plate you have. I ordered one 100V for $9 and will compare when the slow boat comes in.

Comment

i have an inline switch on mine that was intended for a table lamp.
                          i just power it off and let it and the pcb cool together usually

Comment

I do strips, so there is extra support both sides of the plate and then I lift it with these. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003324153934.html

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                              How are people getting the hot pc board off the plate? My luck, I would bump it and have parts all over the place. There needs to be a lift or something?

clearchris, can you measure ohms cold and hot of the plate you have. I ordered one 100V for $9 and will compare when the slow boat comes in.
                              Link? Which one?

I can't measure right now, my meter is across the country. I may pick up a cheap meter in the meantime though.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                Originally posted by diif View Post
                                I do strips, so there is extra support both sides of the plate and then I lift it with these. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003324153934.html
                                Those gloves don't provide any accuracy
                                Even an aluminium foil paper sheet would provide much better results.
                                Place the sheet over the heat plate, leave good margins, place the strip, do the work, lift the strip picking up the aluminium foil paper edges.

If quick cool down isn't needed then follow:
                                i have an inline switch on mine that was intended for a table lamp.
                                i just power it off and let it and the pcb cool together usually
                                Last edited by megaraider; 11-06-2021, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Those gloves work great. I'm moving a hot pcb a few cm. I'm. Puzzled how you can tell me thy don't work when they work great?

Comment

Yes, tested at 120v.
                                    Thanks
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply
                                    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Those gloves work great. I'm moving a hot pcb a few cm. I'm. Puzzled how you can tell me thy don't work when they work great?
                                      Working with LED strips... not imo.
                                      But if those gloves work great with pcb boards there's possible answer to your question @redwire

Comment

[QUOTE=megaraider;1082744]Working with LED strips... not imo./QUOTE]

Yes, mainly aluminium with the occasional fr4.

Whilst the OP and others might claim they are new, I've had mine since 2018, how long does it take you to find an optimal way of working with a tool ?
                                        Last edited by diif; 11-08-2021, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Yes, mainly aluminium with the occasional fr4.
                                          Whilst the OP and others might claim they are new, I've had mine since 2018, how long does it take you to find an optimal way of working with a tool ?
                                          Agree, LED strips and tools to work with aren't new

Comment

Working...
                                          X