X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPIBL-LB cpu upgrade

hi guys,
    how are you doing.

recently i got hp dx2400 with IPIBL-LB (inter g33 ich7raid, 4mem slots) motherboard inside and 8gb of ram.
    it came with e5200 and wanted to upgrade it to latest and greatest.
    board spec (https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c01324212)

upgraded bios to the latest, updated inter RST module, RTL boot module and cpu microcode to support xeon 771 cpus (reported to even run x5460)

i have ordered e5450 but seller (mistakenly) sent L5240 (2 cores 3ghz) and it works (running esxi server 24/7 no problems)
    but i wanted more.
    ordered core2quad q6600 cos it was dirty cheap (~8euro delivered) and another xeon e5450 (for around 20e)

now comes a problem.
    with both q6600 and e5450 motherboard and psu are rebooting violently.
    it turns on for ~5 sec, turns of led on mb, led on psu and i hear hdd power down and up and after another ~5 sec it does it again. it never postst, only reboots, no beeps either. both cpus get slightly warm.

now, with a limited resources (almost no spare parts) im trying to troubleshoot a fault...
    core2quad q6*** and q9*** are officially supported and xeon mod is working obviously (at least in case of l5240). e5450 and l5240 have the same cpuid and should work

any idea what sould i try or which cpu to order. i find it very unlikely that both cpus are faulty

wha is your experience and recommendation in regards to upgrade cpu?
    Im Back... sort of...
Working...
X