Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox 360 S adapter - 240v to 110v

Hi,

I have got a xbox 360 console from India where it has an adapter designed to work with 200v-240v (135 watts) and has o/p voltages of 5v 1A standby and 12v 10A as operating voltage. Is there any way to modify the same to work on 110v in USA?

Re: xbox 360 adapter - 240v to 110v

have you opened it?
    it may just need a bigger fuse.

Comment

Please find the attached pictures. I see most of the caps on primary side are rated for 420v. Do I need to replace them?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-01-2022, 02:51 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

the caps are fine,
        the fuse may need to be uprated, but i'm not sure if it has a PFC circuit and how it would react.
        did you try it?

Comment

Yes it has pfc circuit and I'm getting only 1.2v on the secondary which I think won't be enough.

Comment

What do you get on the main filter cap? And that 1.2 V is on the 5V rail nothing plugged in?

Comment

Its 172v on main cap and 1.2v on 5v rail on the secondary side, nothing plugged in.

Comment

No one has got any experience on this???

Comment

The circuit was not designed to operate with an input of 110vac. It won't work unless you redesign the primary circuit for both the standby and main power supply section.
                  Just get a step-up adaptor for 110~220v, 200watt or replace the power supply with a north American one.

Comment

How about adding the voltage doubler circuit before the rectifier or in place od rectifier bridge? Will that work?

Comment

maybe if you had a 120v model to compare against, it's just component differences?

Comment

Probably easier using a step up transformer.
                        What is that 7 legged IC on pic 1, almost center on the bottom?

Comment

It's IC TNY276PN, I believe its for 5v standby voltage control. I'm getting 4.8v on pin 2 and 1.2v on pin1 of it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

there must be good internal pictures of these things,
                            all the CB radio guys where converting them to output 13.8v a few years ago.

Comment

Can somebody provide schematics for the xbox 360 ps ?

Comment

Originally posted by anupkg1985 View Post
                                It's IC TNY276PN, I believe its for 5v standby voltage control. I'm getting 4.8v on pin 2 and 1.2v on pin1 of it.
                                Correct. That is the 5V standby, always on. Looking at the datasheet, the voltage you are measuring is below the min values. That is number one that needs fixing. After that you have to figure out if the PFC would work on 120V.
                                That's why I am saying it would be easier to find a used / aftermarket PSU or an transformer.

Comment

Maybe it would be feasible to use the device in a location where you have access to a 230v outlet like you use for high powered devices in the US?
                                  If not I'd just not bother with it and just use the transformer instead, easy solution...
                                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I have already bought the 110V adapter for xbox however I'm just trying to modify this to work with 110v out of my curiosity. Most of the SMPS now days work on the range of 87v-240v input but this one is specifically designed to work with 240v so wanted under stand the components which contributes for this.
                                    As CapLeaker mentioned in the post above, it's the IC TNY276PN which is not working somehow and not producing the stb 5v. But not sure where should I start? I'm not a electronics engineer, I work as software engineer but this is my hobby so want to explore more.

https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datash.../TNY276PN.html

Comment

What will happen if I replace the bridge rectifier with the voltage doubler circuit as shows in this diagram - https://www.homemade-circuits.com/wp...compressed.jpg

Will that work / smoke / burn / damage?

Comment

Voltage doubler circuits require two bulk filtering capacitors, you only have one...
                                        Besides the last component to have a problem with low line voltage should be the TNY276PN
                                        It is literally designed to be a "keep it simple stupid" voltage controller accepting full range 85-265VAC.
                                        See the implementation example on page 8 of the datasheet...
                                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                        X