Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will GPU work with missing memory modules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will GPU work with missing memory modules?

I'm looking at a RX480. When testing with dmgg.py script, it shows multiple possible faulty memory modules.
    I was thinking of removing the modules one by one.

Will the card work with one or more modules missing? Just for further memory testing of course.

Re: will GPU work with missing memory modules?

Depends which modules are bad. If anything, you theoretically could remove chips until you get to a standard RAM amount (say from 8GB to 4GB or to 2GB), and then flash a VBIOS that only uses that certain RAM amount you've downgraded the card to.

I say theoretically as I have never tested this further than somehow limiting an ABIT Siluro FX5200 from 128MB to 64MB by flashing a Winfast A340 BIOS.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Re: will GPU work with missing memory modules?

Ok so I removed one module (of possibly 4 faulty ones; 8 modules in total). In fact nothing has changed. That is: card is still detected as a secondary card. Running the dmgg.py script gives similar results as before.

So yes: a card will still "work" with a memory module removed. And that makes further diagnosing somewhat easier.

I'll continue removing suspect faulty modules until the memory test shows a significant difference. But I guess I will be replacing all 4 modules after all.

Comment

Working...
      X