This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

hello everyone my name is ricardo montoya, a watch repair technician by trade since 1978,live in beautiful Downey Southern California, love electronics and although not a savvy one love to tinker with everything that doesn't work my way, found this forum by chance, actually through a faulty cap on my router then began searching the issue, bam got here, love it, hope to be of any help to all, found myself doing a lot of reading in here so see you all around. M8

Comment

Hey Guys, glad to be part of the forum. Found this site looking for troubleshooting ideas on some equipment I have. This helped me a lot. I hope I can add some information for others that may help them fix their equipment.

Comment

Hi, everyone.

Also just looking to solve my monitor problem and found this website. It impresses me how some people are nice and help each other in these forums. At least something nice in this modern lifestyle.

I am from France, housewife with 4 children, I have more experience in IT than in electronic. A few month ago, thanks to these forums, I repaired myself a Viewsonic monitor by omly replacing 2 bad caps. But this time I did not have same chance and can not get my second monitor fixed.

I hope that you can help, Thanks.

Comment

hello. just dropping in to say hi. my sony bravia 40" died and would love to fix it myself. i build custom flashlights with high output led's so when the tv blew playing the wii (first hour of having it hooked up) i figured i'd try my hat at fixing it myself. thanks for having this forum for us home gamers!!

Comment

Hi Everyone,
            I've fixed 10-12 monitors now for fun or profit (by profit I mean my wife made me sell them because I had too many... like that's even possible ). I have a Viewsonic VX2255WMB of which I think I've located the problem, but I don't know the specs of the part so I'm hoping to learn a bit more from the experts.

I'm originally from Germany but have done quite a bit of traveling and am now living in the US with my wife and a little on on the way. I'm an embedded systems engineer, but an electrical engineer by training. Since I code all day, hardware is where I play.

Comment

New to the site. Been working with "electronics" since the mid 1950's. Probably one of the seniors on the site. Vacuum tubes - you bet! Transistors, real core memory, some interesting military stuff in the 60's & 70's, some time in Cape Canaveral. Computers from Altair 8800, Comodore PET, Apple IIe, "Trash 80", IEEE-488 bus, logic analyzers, discrete transistors, and more old technology. Now it's all surface mount technology, liquid cooled CPUs, a gazillion bytes of storage, and more. Automotive electronics more advanced than most homes. Slot machines, pinball machines, amplifiers, organs, keyboards, mixers, etc. Aircraft systems, etc. Love working with them all any chance I can! Since we are all technology fans, this should be a fun and entertaining site - as well as technically helpful. My current project will be posted shortly, seeking some of the sage advice of this very knowledgable group. Hopefully I can assist someone as well.

Comment

Hello from Belgium

INTRODUCTION
                ------------
                Hello from Belgium

First of all "HI" to everyone.

Got my first euh... "computer", an atari 2600, way back in 1978.
                I know, it was only a gameconsole, but it had a cpu in it.
                Then up to the Colecovision to get the extras later to make a computer out of it.
                Wrong again...

At school, had to build the elektor Junior Computer.
                A 6502 based cpu with only an I think 6 character display, with a
                hexa-decimal keyboard for input.
                This counted as our graduation project which we made at the beginning
                of the year instead of at the end.
                This way we could use it trough the year to learn some machine language on it.

Then the mighty C64, for wich I made lots of extensions and roms cratridges for.
                Folowed by atari ST, Amiga 1000, 2000, 500, 1200 etc..

Made my own amiga external FDDs, as wel as 512MB expansions for the A500,
                some digitizers, virusbeepers etc....

Both c64 and Amiga where hacked till death sometimes....
                Great Machines !!!

Later on my first, self built, 386 pc with a gigantic 85MB SEAGATE SCSI.
                Before I could boot up dos from that...
                Think that's where I got my gray hares from...

Followed by every mayor CPU upgrade untill my Core I7-920 now.

Never been a fan of windows 3xx.
                Then OS2 came out.
                Giving us "real" multitasking which was great at that time.
                And it really was a better dos than dos.
                Liked it very much.
                Followed by win95/98/2000/XP, skipped vista, Win7-64bit.

All these years I've been expanding, repairing and servicing them for family and friends.
                Recently I got a infrared BGA rework station for reflowing/reballing.
                So, next step will be to try and fix notebooks.
                Just got a few to experiment with.

What helps me out a lot in locating faulty devices is my broad
                experience with the different types af computers and that I have
                been on top of the evolution of it.

Only thing negative to a certain point is the internet...
                It made me so lazy....
                In the old days, had to find problems myself, which I then mostly didn't forget about.
                Now it's "google" it, fix it and.... forget it.
                Any 1 else experiencing this?

So far my introduction.

Regards,

Comment

I'm totally new to forums so bear with me.
                  I'm from the great state of Minnesota.
                  I've been a Mac man since 1990.

Comment

Well, I guess I'll make my first post/introduction here.

I'm an Electrical Engineer a few years out of college from Ohio. I'm joining this forum because it looks like a Pretty Sweet site for discussing component level computer repairs!

My first computer was a Macintosh TV 33MHz with a 13" Trinitron Monitor. Supposedly the rarest Macintosh ever made. I just might still have it.

Comment

Cory here from Seattle. I only do minor Electronics repairs.

Comment

Well everyone calls me LB (EL Bee), I'm not a techie by trade, but more like a techie by accident. I hate things that don't work so I try to fix them and computers almost always need fixing so I got good at it.

I'm 29, married, with 2 little ones. I found this sight while searching how to repair a gateway monitor and discovered that there is a LOT of good stuff on here! So here I am.

Comment

welcome everyone

peace.
                          We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

Hello,

I found this forum while trying to locate replacement capacitors for my video cards. I only repair my own hardware. I have used computers since my father brought home his first portable computer (about 3' x 1' x 1' with detachable printer on back - large and heavy). That was with dos 1.0. The first computer I owned was a Commodore VIC-20. I moved up Commodores lines to an A3000 Tower.

Talk to you later.

Comment

HI, I'm Harry, aka gaplayer31805 my poker screen name. We live in the country, I used to repair televisions so I thought I would give monitors a try. Finding that mostly caps going bad is the problem. I am usually successful but sometimes need to refer to forums to figure it out. I would love to figure out my sony kdl52w5150 but that will be another forum. but for now Hi everyone and I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

Comment

Hi all.... been repairing PCB's for 30+ years but new to "Capping". Did my first iMac G5-1.6 PPC last week and sure wish I had found this forum first but results seam successful anyway.

-Thanks for al the GREAT tips & Info...

Mr_Mac123

Comment

Hi,
                                  I was looking for detail for my computer LCD repair, and have found this nice mine of information.
                                  I Like to look insinde a lot of boxes, and trying to repair it. So I'll probably read this forum often...

Most of all that won't be bad for my english which is not my own language -french is- my boos could like it

Thank's

Julien

Comment

Hi all, posting here to follow Topcat's email to me.. I have a long electronics and PC hardware background, but now live on the beach in Costa Rica and have had to try to repair things eaten by the salt air. Currently I am trying to troubleshoot a Dynex DX-L26-10A which turns on, but quickly goes to black screen. I will be searching the forums for help. Cheers

Comment

Hi all, got here thx to my lovely acer al2423w that fails again (solution already found: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9210).

It failed within 2 years the first time (warranty), now 2 years later it fails again (no warranty)... ah well, got me some cap replacement to do.

Comment

Hi, i'm from Amsterdam, and i see people from this forum can help, and they probably have the power to give second life to things that i throw out in the past, so its the new beginning...

Comment

Hello my name is Pete (obvious, yet not so much these days)

I repair electronics for friends usually, just for fun mostly. I will always refer to them as clients or customers though to keep the professional image of the board.

This is a long intro, but I am somewhat complicated; not self willed mind you.
                                          Forgive the eccentric portions please but it will help understand who I am.
                                          My first computer was actually a mechanical beast that worked with levers and stoppers when I was a child. My first PC was an Osborne? I think and was a 80286 soaring at a blistering 4.5 MHz. about the only thing it did proficiently was lock up its memory.
                                          I have a few degrees in electronics, quite a many actually but I am the last one here to enter a "pissing contest" about that. I am a designer and own an avionics company that is for the most part 'government created' as I exclusively am a contractee. I like stability in my designs. In fact there are (only portions now mind you) electronics I have designed that are so dependable that they can take bullets (circuit failure redirects to alternate functionality). It comes in handy when rounds are hitting you while at 6000 feet. Not a good time for your targeting system to take a dump, so it don't.
                                          LOL you definately don't have to worry about me advertising and spamming here. Like most sensitive advancement, Sam makes the limitations of revelation VERY clear to be very vauge. I design aircraft cockpit apparatus. That's it. They might even frown at the above paragraph, but there's no breach, so it's np.
                                          Just don't ask me HOW a gnat can be tracked at 5500 feet because I do sometimes have a drink or two after work and might start rambling on and blabbering unfamiliar words if by rare chance I happen to wind up having too many drinks (that's usually not a good thing since I've had ulcers and have a weak stomach) .
                                          I live in Laguna Beach but usually work at a lab in San Clemente or my spacious double apartment living / working area in the middle of nowhere close to Miramar. I'm single, and they make sure I stay that way it sometimes seems. I usually take it out on my automobiles, poor things. I used to think it would be cool to do what I now do but all I can say is the saying applies big time when I say the saying, "Beware of what you ask of yourself, for you might just get it."
                                          What private life? Not to rant in my intro, but when was the last time you had to call the folks for permission to go to a movie with a girl? Or if you wanted to go to a bar? Yeah, you get paid well but the rules have to be followed and that costs me a lot of this thing that most folks don't even realize they have. It goes with being an American, it's called liberty.

So that's me nutshelled aside from hobbies like creating outrageous vehicles equipped with throttled rockets once used in the space program as retro-rockets. Illegal of course, but stealth mounted as much as possible on a ZR1none the less. So if you see a Black ZR1 on the 5 Fwy in San Diego or South Orange County with two big black circular thingys below the tail lights, best that you don't get too close or tailgate for inspection as I may wind up melting your bumper and burning the paint off your car. I wouldn't want to do that to a forum friend. Other hobbies are contraptions that were accepted, then denied later, like a Hi KW generator that is also a motorcycle, equipped with a M120 Mercedes V12 with twin Eaton turbos. LOL it was denied because no one wanted to drive it. Guess I can't blame anyone for that! LOL

It's these small and sometimes a bit large projects that keep my sanity from feeling like a free civilian feeling inprisoned in the life I created for myself.

Apologies of the slightly eccentric and very elongated introduction, but you folks wanted to know about me, and so basically now you do, more so than my next door neighbor in Laguna whom has lived next to me for 14 years. He don't even look much, and I like that. Finally, on retirement, I am certainly ready. 23 years of this now and I'm 52. I'm told I may, if I find someone to take my place. My reply was that I did not know I was obligated to do that too. So, whenever I'm at JPL and other places alike getting parts, I look for a kid using a Solomon soldering station among all the Wellers everywhere. When I find him or her, it will be a great relief. I have property in the South Pacific, and when I find someone, things happen to go well, I plan to rid all of what I own here and become not only a land owner, but a pearl farmer in Bora Bora.
                                          Why? Because I believe I've smelled enough solder to pull out a rolls worth from each heel on my feet.
                                          I befriend anyone of military involvement, especially the soldier. Soldiers are heros above all others. If you ever see one, please give them right of way at the least. Insist they walk to the front of the line and not be made to wait. Give them whatever they need for free if you can or at your cost if you must. If you're giving something away that a soldier might use (eg. good computers, cars, stereos, stamps, ect.); make sure it's a soldier that gets it. They are trained to fight and if need be, die for your freedom, a word with free in it that carries a heavy price. God bless them and us all.

Comment

Working...
                                          X