Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my Laptops Hard Drive on it's Way Out? (4 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my Laptops Hard Drive on it's Way Out? (4 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024)

So just a few hours ago (from when i'm posting this) my laptop (which is a Dell Inspiron 3542) randomly shut down for no reason and when i rebooted it, some of the files on the desktop had moved and some files on the taskbar were missing.

The hard drive in this thing is a 4 year old Samsung ST1000LM024 with 30K POH and was working fine up until now (and looking around online seems to show that this model is not very good in general).

What do you think, is it time to replace it and if so, what drive should i replace it with?

The OS i'm using is Windows 7.
    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Re: Is my Laptops Hard Drive on it's Way Out? (4 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024)

Yes, swap it out ASAP. Replace it with a Western Digital of your choice.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
      The hard drive in this thing is a 4 year old Samsung ST1000LM024 with 30K POH and was working fine up until now (and looking around online seems to show that this model is not very good in general).
      For me brand S*****g for HDD is only crap, on 2009 only can use for 2 month then suddenly got totally bad sector. after that happen i never trust anymore.

What do you think, is it time to replace it and if so, what drive should i replace it with?
      WD or Seagate, one of them the first my choose.
      Hitachi.
      Toshiba.
      both on last seem lower quality from top ones

I format with help xp bottable or HBCD.
      -Primary (C)
      -Logical (D-Y partitions)
      -unallocated (Z)
      didn't like all partition as primary and i believe have more reliable.

Comment

Actually I have the same model here on my desk (defective) manufactured by Seagate. So I do think that ur drive is Samsung branded but manufactured by Seagate.

I would choose WD, never had problems with those

Comment

Ok, i'm looking at getting a Western Digital WD10JPVX. should this be able to replace my current drive?

Comment

Looks good to me.
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

So just a few hours ago (from when i'm posting this) my laptop (which is a Dell Inspiron 3542) randomly shut down for no reason and when i rebooted it, some of the files on the desktop had moved and some files on the taskbar were missing.

"ST"-> Probably a Seagate with the Samsung name slapped on it! And Seagate 2.5-inch HDDs, apparently have major issues! With extreme slowness probably being common.

Just like Maxtor earlier, where their name was slapped on Seagate HDDs, probably at or roughly 5 years before Samsung had the same kind of fate!
              Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-03-2019, 09:43 PM.
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

One last question, do you think the issue i had might be related to the hard drive? (PC freezing then shutting down and after rebooting, files on the desktop moved and files in the taskbar disappeared)

Comment

Yes

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

PC freezing then shutting down
                    Are you getting an auto-reboot from Windows? (caused by an error that's also a BSOD)
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                      Are you getting an auto-reboot from Windows? (caused by an error that's also a BSOD)
                      No.

Comment

No.
                        A shutdown is usually the CPU reaching a critical temp. Thus, on a wild goose chase, LMAOO!

A crash is most likely the HDD, except for an Athlon II-based HP CQ 61 from 2009, of course...
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-04-2019, 06:31 PM.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

personally, I'd take the HDD out, put in a SSD, ditch windows and run some flavor of linux.

Comment

Yeah, just try an SSD and see if your machine works then. 120 GByte will cost around 20-25$, even cheaper than an HDD

Or do you need the big space of the hard disk?

Comment

I only use under 1/3 of the 1TB.

Comment

just download some kind of software that can pull the smart data from the hard disk like crystal disk info or hdtune. look for any reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors. that most likely indicates a failing hard disk.

Comment

I'm with ChaosLegionnaire here, first thing to check, if the hard drive looks healthy you may suspect something else. (doesn't mean the hard drive is 100% good but still)

But yeah replacing an HDD with an SSD is always a good idea as well.
                                  OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I have crystal disk info and as far as it can tell, the disk is fine.

Comment

Download HD Tune and perform a Full scan of the drive, but not in quick mode.

If there is no defective sector on the disc, the problem could be another. OR the drive electronics could habe a problem itself, but mechanically everything is good.

Comment

Can you post a screenshot of what PassMark DiskCheckup says about the drive?

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X