Samsung PN59D8000 Nothing After Move to Basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN59D8000 Nothing After Move to Basement

Hello Folks, thanks in advance for any guidance you may be able to provide.
    Moved 59" Samsung plasma that was working flawlessly to basement to make way for new TV. Didn't turn on for several days but when did got nothing. Standby LED was on and did react to On signal but no sound or picture. Here's what we got when doing some minor readings:

Nothing of any concern noticeable on any boards or capacitors.

Standby ~5.3V
    PS_ON ~3.3V
    PowerON ~3.3V and goes down to ~.2V
    VS_ON 0V up to 3.3V but then quickly goes back down to 0V

Green LED on logic board light blinks roughly once every 5 seconds (versus norm of once every second or so)

VS ~5.8V (panel sticker indicates should be ~217V)
    VA ~.04V (panel sticker indicates should be ~55V)

Disconnecting power connector to Y and X boards no change in VA and VS

VSCAN test point on Y main voltage not present
    Ve on X board (Vb in my boards case) ~4.6V

Looked at various threads, Samsung PDP Test Video and Samsung Fast Track Troubleshooting Manual but nothing definitive so not sure what to do next before just ordering and replacing parts. Thinking since this TV is nearly 10 years old perhaps others may have come across this issue and had an idea what is at fault. Any thoughts? Thanks once again in advance.

-deeMatrix

Re: Samsung PN59D8000 Nothing After Move to Basement

Did VA / VS shoot up to their approximate values before collapsing just as quickly when you carried out the test given in the Fast Track Manual.
    Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
      Did VA / VS shoot up to their approximate values before collapsing just as quickly when you carried out the test given in the Fast Track Manual.
      Thanks for your response. No VA and VS did not shoot up at all.

Comment

Any thoughts anyone? Would really appreciate it.
        -deeMatrix

Comment

Have you checked that there is no short circuit on any of the voltage lines.ie VA or VS to ground

Comment

Have you checked that there is no short circuit on any of the voltage lines.ie VA or VS to ground
            Thanks dick_barton once again for your input. I only removed power connector from the Y-board and X-board one at a time and checked VA and VS voltages but no difference (not even briefly). I see the "Fast Track Troubleshooting Manual" indicates to "use ohm meter to measure resistance wile disconnecting Y-board and X-board supply feeds one at a time". Is this an additional step as unclear on what to do here? Thanks in advance.

Comment

With the set powered off and disconnected from the supply to be safe, you need to use a multimeter set to ohms to measure what the resistance is between Va and ground and also between Vs and ground.

Comment

With the set powered off and disconnected from the supply to be safe, you need to use a multimeter set to ohms to measure what the resistance is between Va and ground and also between Vs and ground.
                Got ~5550 ohms resistance for VA and ~40000 ohms resistance for VS. Thoughts? Thanks

Comment

Those readings appear to more than OK. Were these taken with all the wiring in place or did you just check VA and VS of the power supply board. If only for the power supply you will need to check them on the other boards they go to.

Comment

Those readings appear to more than OK. Were these taken with all the wiring in place or did you just check VA and VS of the power supply board. If only for the power supply you will need to check them on the other boards they go to.
                    I had the power connection to the Y-board which connects to the X-board so all wiring was in place but only checked the VA and VS test points on the power supply board. I need to check additional locations on Y and X boards?

Comment

It does appear that there is no problem but it wouldn't hurt to check at all possible points

Comment

It does appear that there is no problem but it wouldn't hurt to check at all possible points
                        So had the SMPS power, as well as Y-board and X-board power connectors disconnected and checked resistance at all the test points on the various boards.

All points registered various amounts of resistance except for one point on the X-board which was .6 Ohms (multimeter was set to 200 and display read 00.6. Any multimeter higher Ohms setting displayed 0.00). Not sure if this indicates something potentially wrong with the X-board or is .6 Ohms ok?

Comment

Without knowing what point the readings were low, it's not really possible to say if it's an issue.
                          Can you post some photo's?

Comment

Without knowing what point the readings were low, it's not really possible to say if it's an issue.
                            Can you post some photo's?
                            I posted the pic of the TV back and the X-board marked with red arrow/circle indicating the one test point with only .6 Ohms resistance with power disconnected. Can post additional pictures as needed. Thanks once again for any potential insights.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure what the reistance at that point should be. There should be a label on the back of the plasma panel with voltages given.

Maybe this pdf can help you.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by deeMatrix View Post
                                I posted the pic of the TV back and the X-board marked with red arrow/circle indicating the one test point with only .6 Ohms resistance with power disconnected. Can post additional pictures as needed. Thanks once again for any potential insights.
                                Looking at another Xsus board the red circle appears to show a ground point so zero or near zero ohms would be correct.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Looking at another Xsus board the red circle appears to show a ground point so zero or near zero ohms would be correct.
                                  Thanks. I have the Fast Track Manual and did the initial "Vital Signs" which didn't help much but didn't do the "Activating Power & Logic Board Test Patterns without Main Board" though yet so perhaps that might be next logical step to see if can rule something out.

Comment

Originally posted by deeMatrix View Post
                                    Thanks. I have the Fast Track Manual and did the initial "Vital Signs" which didn't help much but didn't do the "Activating Power & Logic Board Test Patterns without Main Board" though yet so perhaps that might be next logical step to see if can rule something out.
                                    dick_barton, first off I want to say thanks once again for all of your assistance. I did the above Fast Track Manual step and got nothing on display so basically the same.

Subsequently, I left the main power cable disconnected with the short "Power On to Circuit Ground on Power Connector" and also disconnected the logic board and Y-Main board so basically only had the SMPS powered on.

I then went and tested all the various voltages as rated on the various connectors which were spot on, except for the VA and VS which were very low and the VS_On which didn't register any voltage with logic board not connected. When the logic board was connected the VS_On goes up to 3.3V once powered on as it's suppose to but then quickly goes back down to 0V as though was shut down or something.

Not sure if all this leads to a possible bad SMPS because with nothing else connected to it VS and VA are nowhere near the 217V and 55V as rated? Or perhaps that's normal without the logic board connected as it can't send an active high signal to the SMPS to turn on VS so perhaps a logic board issue? But then not sure about VA being so low.
                                    Last edited by deeMatrix; 11-23-2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

If you have carried out the power supply test as indicated in the trouble-shooting guide and the VA/VS voltages do not appear then quickly drop, it would appear to be a power supply problem.

If anyone else could offer their advice I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Comment

from the first photo it tell at which condition the Power boards, sockets got yellowish / dry then how about its soldering. i would suggest take out boards one after one and clean sockets / cable end to end and inspect the soldering .. i dont believe set will got defect if you moved it from work condition to basement unless the environment at the basement caused am issue.

Comment

Working...
                                        X