Wanting To Try Something With Extra Capacitors for my original xbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting To Try Something With Extra Capacitors for my original xbox

i have a shipment of capacitors arriving friday. i'm wanting to try an experiment where i fill all the cap spots(instead of just the 3 spots) in front of the processors with 3300uf caps to see if the extra power being available to the gpu/cpu help the xbox's performance. my question is, is there any chance that this will damage the xbox? also, has anyone ever tried this before?

Re: Wanting To Try Something With Extra Capacitors for my original xbox

it should work, but dont expect more speed.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      it should work, but dont expect more speed.
      so it won't hurt the xbox in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by bulkchart32 View Post
        so it won't hurt the xbox in any way?
        That depends on the characteristics of the power supply. Adding caps will make the circuit look like a lower impedance as power is applied. It's likely that the power supply will tolerate the increased load -- but, the suppl(ies) may come up slower than they should. Predicting the consequences of that are likely beyond a casual observer's capability.

[chips have constraints on how power is applied and removed]

Comment

it's a vrm output

Comment

it's a vrm output
            so the vrm sends it's current through those caps?

Comment

the vrm is a low voltage high current psu for the processor core - those 3/5caps smooth it.

Comment

Changing Capacitors will not make your xbox more powerful, give it up already you have been told serveral times in many threads.

Comment

Didn't you post this on reddit as well? It's pointless. More capacitors != faster system.
                  What capacitors did you buy?

Also, those capacitors aren't "fun" to replace without a de-solder pump. You will be happy when you have finished with the first 3.

BTW, I used 3900uf caps (x3) and no visual difference whatsoever at nearly 12000uf total.
                  Last edited by jayjr1105; 10-08-2020, 12:50 PM.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  Ryzen 3600x
                  16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                  MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                  MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                  Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                  Rosewill Capstone 750W
                  Hakko FX-888D Station
                  FX-8802 Iron
                  MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                    Didn't you post this on reddit as well? It's pointless. More capacitors != faster system.
                    What capacitors did you buy?

Also, those capacitors aren't "fun" to replace without a de-solder pump. You will be happy when you have finished with the first 3.

BTW, I used 3900uf caps (x3) and no visual difference whatsoever at nearly 12000uf total.
                    yes i did post it on reddit. i've changed a several caps in xbox's before. i'm well aware of what a pain it can be. and i do have a solder sucker.

Comment

it's a vrm output
                      this is not about changing them, this is about wanting to add more so that it will get more power to the chips. i'd have 5 caps instead of just 3 to deliver power to the chips. that's be like having 5 wires delivering power instead of 3.

Comment

yes i did post it on reddit. i've changed a several caps in xbox's before. i'm well aware of what a pain it can be. and i do have a solder sucker.
                        Solder sucker and solder vacuum are not the same thing. $200 price difference there. You are not making sense. Just change caps if they are bad and that's it. Populating two extra caps for the heck of it is a waste of time and 2 capacitors.
                        Ryzen 3600x
                        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                        Rosewill Capstone 750W
                        Hakko FX-888D Station
                        FX-8802 Iron
                        MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

this is not about changing them, this is about wanting to add more so that it will get more power to the chips. i'd have 5 caps instead of just 3 to deliver power to the chips. that's be like having 5 wires delivering power instead of 3.
                          it doesnt work that way - ever.
                          the chip draws the power it needs and if there isnt enough it will glitch and crash.
                          which does not happen because the circuit was designed to support that cpu.

Comment

Increasing the capacitance will not improve anything. OTOH, you are messing with a carefully designed network that probably has capacitors of multiple types, values, impedance characteristics, and locations. You could probably get away with some amount of changes, but you will get no benefit and will risk screwing up the VRM's loop stability and/or the network's transient load response.
                            Last edited by PeteS in CA; 10-09-2020, 03:25 PM.
                            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                            X