Dell XPS 410, KZG 6.3v Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell XPS 410, KZG 6.3v Caps

Recently my computer stopped powering up, and after the typical trouble shooting I've come to the conclusion (by visually inspecting) that its 3 bad caps. I read it's ok to replace them with ones rated higher, but from experience can anyone offer some suggestions on brand any maybe places to purchase them? I wanted to just replace the 3 busted ones without buying a whole kit. The original capacitors are KZG 6.3v 3300uf. I am willing to pay more for caps, I just cant seem to find a tested and proven high quality replacement. Would radio shack have decent replacements (to avoid waiting for shipping) ? Thanks in advance, and if this has been asked before I am sorry.

Re: Dell XPS 410, KZG 6.3v Caps

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=30
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Thanks, would it be logical to switch to polys for this repair? The 2 side by side are busted next to the aux power on the mobo, and the 3rd is to the right of the cpu. Sorry for lack of pic, I left the mobo mounted until I get some caps in. If polys wouldn't be ideal I'll go ahead and order those.

Comment

KZG series is known to be unreliable. I would replace them with a reliable brand of capacitors. Switching to polymer can be done, but isn't really necessary, and may even be ill-advised depending on the locations of the capacitors.

I would replace all the KZG capacitors, even those that show no signs of failure. They likely aren't far behind, and sometimes KZG can fail internally without showing any external signs.

Comment

You should replace all KZG even if they aren't bloated because:
          - If some are gone the rest aren't far behind.
          - KZG have a habit of failing without bloating at all.

Upgrading the VRM to poly is pretty safe.
          -
          Any other caps need to be analyzed cap by cap.
          ... and you can't [safely] change uF much on many so there may be some that can't [safely] be changed.
          - To do it right:
          Need to trace out the circuits and find out what each cap does.
          Need to check the actual voltage on each cap.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Thanks for the advice..now just waiting for new caps to show up in mail. Quick question though.. Should I check my psu or get a new one? I read Dell went the cheap route on most components. If I do check it I was told they can hold tons of power for weeks, is there a was to discharge it? Thanks in advance.

Comment

They don't hold tons of power for weeks at all. by the time you undo all the screws on the case and PSU, it will be totally drained.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

~~~ Unless the discharge path is broken. That's pretty rare though.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

The Dell XPS-410 power supplies are 375w. They will handle a fully loaded machine at the max config allowable at time of purchase back in 2007.

Max config:
                  Intel Core2 QUAD q6600
                  4 gb RAM (all slots filled)
                  nVidia 8800 gtx
                  (2) 7200rpm HDD

but at that config, when the machine was stressed to max (like 3D gaming ... Crysis maybe) the PS is running at around 85%. Easy for a nice new high quality PS, but not so easy for a 4 year old PS.

When I upgraded my two 410's (with q6600) to also hold a ATI 5770, I also installed a Corsair 650w ps. Now, even at max, the PS only runs around 40-50%.

What is inside yours and do you plan to do any more upgrades?
                  Last edited by Tesla; 07-06-2011, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I am trying to repair a Dell XPS 410 MB and already replaced six 6.3V 2200uf caps but when we tried the board out, we got the same flashing amber power light. I now want to replace (3) 16V 680uf, (3) 16V 470uf, and (1) 6.3V 220uf caps. Does anyone have a recommended list of replacements or is the newbie reply go look at the store?

Comment

16V 680uf: https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=50
                      16v 470uf: https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=157
                      6.3 220uf: https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=53
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I had three sick XPS 410's with bulging caps on the motherboards. All three have been repaired with cap replacements. They each had a total of 3 680uf 16v KZL capacitors. Only one capacitor of this type was bulged at the top. I wanted to know the specs of this capacitor but could find absolutely no mention of a KZL series capacitor on the net. In fact Google underlines KZL in red and advises did you mean KZE. Of the three of these on each mb, one resides right next to the cpu power connector.
                        The only mention I did find on a forum was a photo post where a question was asked about a KZL cap on a mb. The responder said that it looked like a KZJ and the original poster replied that he read it wrong and it was KZJ with what had looked to him like a backwards L. The caps I have do not have backward L's.
                        A mysterious cap indeed. Does anyone know the specs of this cap or what should replace this KZL. Thank you for every response.

Comment

I forgot to mention the size 10mm x 12 or 13mm

Comment

Those 16V 680uF caps are probably general filters on the motherboard and don't really need to be anything special. But just to be safe, use Nichicon HM, HN, or HZ. Although I bet even something equivalent to Rubycon ZL will work fine. The badcaps.net store should have all of these brands and series.

Comment

Thank you Momaka for the information. I have decided to do just exactly that, pick a decent low esr and high ripple motherboard type capacitor as you mentioned and call it good. Still find it odd that the caps in question seem to have no history whatsoever and that I can find data sheets on any other cap that I have ever encountered. Next up, monitors. Happy Holidays

Comment

FWIW the actual max. spec for these is much higher than what Dell offered at the time. Due to being able to power a Pentium D these have the ability to run a 135W, QX6800 2.93GHz CPU. Larger RAM modules came along and with a BIOS update can run 8GB DDR2-800.
                                Overclocking is possible using Throttlestop 6.0 software to control Voltage and multipler in Windows.

Comment

Working...
                                X