Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharp AQUOS 70" LCD model LC-70LE550U

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
    Then you have to remove that whole sise board from the panel like I have mentioned in my posting. There is a short on one of the tab driver IC's on that side board. Unfortunately that is the only option you have.
    Thank you so much. It sounds difficult!

Comment

Are you meaning I need to remove and replace the right side board? That should get it back to like new if all else is good right? Any idea on where to find a replacement board?
      Thank you again!

EDIT: I went back and read your post regarding this fix and I see now why it is permanent. This is unlike an LED panel where the strips are removable and can be replaced. Once removed they cannot be replaced. I see it now.

I do still wonder how good of a picture I will have when this fix is complete? Is it anything like original?
      Last edited by Olympus620; 11-11-2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Yes about 8 people now have done that and the picture is just as good as before they were removed
        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

I have done this "surgery" and tv is in my house working perfectly. been 3 weeks. Only easy way to fix this problem. This is becoming a common issue as I've talked to some places that have these on 24-7. there are several on these tvs starting the early symptoms of small horizontal line starting on one side and goes halfway across screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympus620 View Post
            Thank you so much. It sounds difficult!

Actually this procedure is pretty straight forward on the bad side o the panel which is your right side all you have to do is remove three screws in the front and 3 screws on the side removing that black metal barrier bar that covers the side boards you have the pole the plastic shroud away just enough to get a screwdriver in there to remove those screws once you get that sidebar off you can remove the boards from the panel you'll see how the ribbons are attached to the panel. Just pull straight off the panel easily and carefully
            Last edited by freakaftr8; 11-11-2015, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Actually this procedure is pretty straight forward on the bad side o the panel which is your right side all you have to do is remove three screws in the front and 3 screws on the side removing that black metal barrier bar that covers the side boards you have the pole the plastic shroud away just enough to get a screwdriver in there to remove those screws once you get that sidebar off you can remove the boards from the panel you'll see how the ribbons are attached to the panel. Just pull straight off the panel easily and carefully
              Freakaftr8 I want to thank you for helping to solve what is wrong with this tv(side drivers). I was hoping you could help me further to understand the technology and why the side boards cannot be replaced instead of just removed. I purchased this tv with the intent of reselling it after a repair but I am hesitant about reselling it with missing parts. I know I could inform the buyer and sell it with a large discount but I would like to get the most out of it. Is this un repairable because the side boards are not available or are the side boards designed so they can never be replaced/repaired? Thank you!

Comment

They are designed to never be removed. They are what is called hot bar bonded to the panel . However the work load is being done by the other (good) side. There's no telling how long it will last this way. Haven't heard any fail yet (not saying it won't happen) . I wouldn't resell this tv unless the customer is notified about this and they are ok with it. This operation is not intended for the tv to last forever but it is adding life to and inevitably failed panel. Because the manufacturer did not intend for these boards to be removed for a specific reason. But they also didn't put much thought obviously into the failure points of these panels failing which seem to be more and more sporadic lately. Maybe it's just me and maybe I haven't paid attention or didn't realize what would happen when a sharp would give off a blank code for a failed panel in the past because we thought they were deemed unrepairable until we got together and came up with this solution which seems to work. My vizio has been running nonstop for 3 months almost with no problems. Others I think at least 8 or 10 other people on this forum that caught on and performed the same operation with their panels are still working. Like I said I do not endorse this is a permanent fix forever the panel is obviously stressed with one board instead of 2 but like I said before it adds life to a TV that would be deemed parts
                Last edited by freakaftr8; 11-12-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I don't think the boards are the problem, its the flex cable between the boards and the panel. At one end, the cables are soldered on and at the other "hot bonded". Of course, this could be repaired if you have the machinery and the replacement cables. But like most things in technology these days, those components are either an expensive initial investments and/or limited in availability (there are service places that are able to do it for a price).
                  I don't think you can sell a "saved" set unless the details of the "save" are disclosed and the price was suitably discounted.... likely less than $500 depending on "market forces".

Comment

Originally posted by Olympus620 View Post
                    Freakaftr8 I want to thank you for helping to solve what is wrong with this tv(side drivers). I was hoping you could help me further to understand the technology and why the side boards cannot be replaced instead of just removed. I purchased this tv with the intent of reselling it after a repair but I am hesitant about reselling it with missing parts. I know I could inform the buyer and sell it with a large discount but I would like to get the most out of it. Is this un repairable because the side boards are not available or are the side boards designed so they can never be replaced/repaired? Thank you!
                    Forgot to ask do you have a perfectly running TV now? If so post pics

Comment

Forgot to ask do you have a perfectly running TV now? If so post pics
                      No, I haven't committed yet to removing the boards. If I do this it's going into my living room which poses problems with space. Just looking for a way around it if there is one. I am in no rush at the moment with the TV being in the shed out back. I will update with detailed pictures if that route is taken. I have also been searching craigslist hoping for another broken compatible Sharp model. I wish I knew the model numbers of the VIZIO's using this identical display.
                      Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
                        I don't think the boards are the problem, its the flex cable between the boards and the panel. At one end, the cables are soldered on and at the other "hot bonded". Of course, this could be repaired if you have the machinery and the replacement cables. But like most things in technology these days, those components are either an expensive initial investments and/or limited in availability (there are service places that are able to do it for a price).
                        I don't think you can sell a "saved" set unless the details of the "save" are disclosed and the price was suitably discounted.... likely less than $500 depending on "market forces".
                        Good info Budwich, Thank you! I had thought it was a burned out driver component on the side boards that needed to be replaced and reflowed back in place. As one option I was thinking since my sister in law works at an electronics manufacturing facility in Florida and she has bonding and flow equipment everywhere I could just send her the entire tv but in reality that is out of the question.

Comment

The boards themselves look pretty "non-descript", the driver is "embedded" in the actual flex cable.... which makes it even more difficult to "source". As for the service, I think I have seen a few "ads"... most will do the work BUT this is usually reserved for sets / TV that in the "high end" ($$$$) so the cost becomes almost a non-issue at those levels.

Comment

Adding another image I should have added earlier. This was taken with just the right side corner(viewed from back) white ribbon cable removed. The horizontal band was not there yesterday when I was looking at the menu. As a side note the first driver ic is directly in line with the horizontal lines. I don't know if that means anything or not. FYI, I am still deciding whether or not I will be pulling the driver boards off.

Comment

IF you carefully look at the back side of that tab driver cable, you will likely see a "distressed" chip sitting there. On my sharp, the one driver chip actually melted into the plastic frame of the panel.

Comment

IF you carefully look at the back side of that tab driver cable, you will likely see a "distressed" chip sitting there. On my sharp, the one driver chip actually melted into the plastic frame of the panel.
                                It is slightly darker then the other chips. Not only that it will burn my fingers if I touch it. The other 3 chips on that side are cold to the touch.

Comment

ok... now you likely found your problem... replace that chip and you will have a perfect tv ... :-)

Comment

ok... now you likely found your problem... replace that chip and you will have a perfect tv ... :-)
                                    haha That might be a bit much for my skills.

Comment

That's your problem. Unfortunately you have got no other choice but to remove that board with those IC's on them.

Just an interesting thought that I have not tried with anybody else's TV nor myself yet. Why don't you try removing just that IC off of the screen and the board leaving the other IC's still attached to the board and the screen. Then plug in the white cable to that side board again and see if you have a good picture. Trying to see what would happen with just one remove instead of all 5 on the side. Regardless that IC must be removed anyway

Comment

me too (interested) as that's what I wanted to do with mine but "some" indicated that all on the "troubled side" had to be removed.... :-)

Comment

That's your problem. Unfortunately you have got no other choice but to remove that board with those IC's on them.

Just an interesting thought that I have not tried with anybody else's TV nor myself yet. Why don't you try removing just that IC off of the screen and the board leaving the other IC's still attached to the board and the screen. Then plug in the white cable to that side board again and see if you have a good picture. Trying to see what would happen with just one remove instead of all 5 on the side. Regardless that IC must be removed anyway
                                          Sounds good, I have not looked to see how the flexible ribbon cable(with driver) attaches to the display so I am unsure where I should "peel" away the ribbon cable. Do I peel the flex cable away at the green board or below the driver nearer to the display? In this picture I am asking above or below the driver?

Comment

Working...
                                          X