DDR1 2GB Ram Sticks - NF4 only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DDR1 2GB Ram Sticks - NF4 only?

I have two sticks of 2GB DDR1 RAM. They are Kingston KHX3200AK2/2GB sticks.

I did a search and the motherboard I could see that could use these is a DFI Lanparty Socket 939 board based on the NF4 chipset.

I see on Ebay that there are Foxconn Winfast, Albatron and Biostar boards that use the NF4 chipset. They are all infested with KZG caps.

Was the NF4 chipset bad? I thought they were high-performance. Then why KZG caps?

Re: DDR1 2GB Ram Sticks - NF4 only?

Those are 1GB each. The /2GB in the part number denotes its a 2GB kit.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
      I have two sticks of 2GB DDR1 RAM. They are Kingston KHX3200AK2/2GB sticks.

I did a search and the motherboard I could see that could use these is a DFI Lanparty Socket 939 board based on the NF4 chipset.

I see on Ebay that there are Foxconn Winfast, Albatron and Biostar boards that use the NF4 chipset. They are all infested with KZG caps.

Was the NF4 chipset bad? I thought they were high-performance. Then why KZG caps?
      I wouldn't be surprised if mid-2000s' KZGs are the worst! They are the most likely to bulge and leak when sitting in a room!
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

its actually the K2 part, denoting its a kit of 2 sticks. kingston also has kits of 4 in which case K4 would denote its a kit of 4 sticks.

as for the nf4 chipset, high performance does not indicate long lasting or good quality. nvidia used defective materials in the manufacture of the chipset or shitset as some of us here like to call them. this causes the die of the chip to separate from the substrate severing one or more of the connections causing things not to work. this problem is typically caused by heat and some mobos have chipset fans that fail easily and silently, expediting the failure of the shitset.

as for the use of kzgs, none of the mobo manufacturers knew that series was problematic at the time. they used it either because it was the cheapest japcap available at the time or it was easily/readily available in large quantities to fulfill motherboard production so they just used whatever they could get their hands on.

Comment

Working...
        X