Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Function Signal Generator Some Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Function Signal Generator Some Questions...

All,
    I have been collecting/purchasing equipment as I go along my "Electronics Journey". Thanks for all those who have helped me on this Journey and have educated me... I really appreciate this guidance!

Also the fixing of many of my household finds have kept the wife happy as well as I buy said new electronic equipment.

I have read and heard that every electronics workshop should have a Function Signal Generator or more than one.

As I barely understand the use of such a piece of equipment can someone educate me first on what this piece of equipment is commonly used for in electronic repair/design?

Also assuming mostly household electronic repair with possibly automotive applications (not that I have ever needed anything more than basic electronics to keep my daily driver running) what should I look for in a Function Signal Generator?

I find myself commonly fixing TVs, radios (amps), Computers (including vintage/retro), Tablets, Phones, and have found myself doing DIY kits recently.

Thanks for the help,
    Chris

Re: Function Signal Generator Some Questions...

do you have an oscilloscope??

because if not you dont need a signal generator - they are used together.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      do you have an oscilloscope??

because if not you dont need a signal generator - they are used together.
      STJ,
      Yes, I have a Rigol DS1054Z with all the "Keys" installed. Also Probes etc.

I have used it a time or two just for educational purposes but not really much on troubleshooting things.

Thanks for the help,
      Chris

Comment

All,
        Does anyone have any experience with a Function Signal Generator and how to use one with a Oscilloscopt to troubleshoot issues?

Also what I should look for in my first one. Like many of my earlier purchases I assume I will upgrade over time.

I have seen a couple "Classroom" type scenarios with the oscilloscopt but not much when they (Oscilloscope and Signal Generator) play together.

Thanks
        Chris

Comment

it depends what your repairing,
          for anything with analog amplifiers or filters you can feed in a generated signal and then scope the output to see if it is o.k. or distorted in some way.

Comment

it depends what your repairing,
            for anything with analog amplifiers or filters you can feed in a generated signal and then scope the output to see if it is o.k. or distorted in some way.
            STJ,
            For household repair items what Frequency should I look for on my first function Signal Generator. I assume the different types of "Waves" are fairly standard.

Any speicific brands?

Should I get a DIY Kit..I know the lower end ones are probably not worth the effort.

Thanks
            Chris

Comment

household??
              what does that mean?
              unless your repairing audio amplifiers or radio transmitters to dont have a use for a sig-gen.
              i dont have one and i'v been repairing stuff for a very long time.

Comment

household??
                what does that mean?
                unless your repairing audio amplifiers or radio transmitters to dont have a use for a sig-gen.
                i dont have one and i'v been repairing stuff for a very long time.
                STJ,
                Thanks for the response again!

I actually do have a small stack of projects that are Audio/Amplifier related. Covid-19 has had me organize the workshop and garage and I had more than a few projects stacking up. I focused previously on the larger ones (TVs and Monitors). Now we are on the smaller items. One of the biggest now is a Onkyo HTR-290 Amplifier which turned out to be a bad Amplifier IC. Its on order and is supposed to arrive before Christmas.

The other are a couple older (circa 1980s) Radios. These are portable units and at least one is a Multiband radio. Weather band, shortwave, AM, and FM. My favorite is little JCPenny Multiband radio and I like to get that working again. The others are slightly newer and mostly small boom boxes which I could let the kids use in the barn. Keep in mind these projects are for learning experiences. Sounds like the Function Signal Generator would be of limited use for these.

I will mention that I have some interest in HAM radio. My Step-Dad is big on Ham Radios. 30 plus years in the Military/Civilian contractor as a Electrical Engineer. He is involved in the early radio stuff. Including refurbishing and refinishing 1920-1930 radios (maybe even radios before that). He recently won some award by some National Radio group. He is about to move back to my area, previously lived about a days drive away, and I figure that will spark my interest some more in HAM.

I do a lot with Retro-Computers. C64, Atari 8 bit, VCS2600, and a few Apples. Just starting to get these organized now.

I am getting into the Arduino scene for a couple small projects as well. Not to mention I have more than a few Raspberry Pis that I am looking to play with the GPIO. They do not seem to be using a Function Signal Generator much. I have seen a couple projects that it was mentioned but not demonstrated.

So it sounds like if I get Function Signal Generator it will be mostly a shelf queen.

I am also looking at a https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-STOCK-MA...r/313014474073. I will probably purchase Mastech MS8911 before any Function Signal Generator.

Basically this is Birthday present to myself at the end of the month and I have decided it will electronic related.

Thanks for the help,
                Chris
                Last edited by SolomonMan; 12-21-2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

i dont see what that mastech does from the link.
                  it's expensive though.

do you have a component tester?

and for old computers you probably want to build a logic pulser
                  i can give you the details for that.

Comment

i dont see what that mastech does from the link.
                    it's expensive though.

do you have a component tester?

and for old computers you probably want to build a logic pulser
                    i can give you the details for that.
                    STJ,
                    The video below gives a rough review of it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96XTelPZnfA

Basically its a LCR (Inductance (l), Capacitance (C), and Resistance (R))) meter. There are quite a few out there (cheaper ~$20) not to mention the tweezer probes you can get for your Multimeter. The Mastech 8911 has a decent review from what I have seen/gather.

I do have a component tester.

I would be interested in the logic pulser.

Thanks
                    Chris

Comment

STJ,
                      Are these the same as a Logic Analyzer Probe Kit?

I have one of these in the works to be purchased.

Thanks
                      Chris

Comment

no, a logic analyzer can record multiple channels at once,
                        a logic probe shows the state of a pin/signal
                        and a pulser injects pulses into a circuit.

you use a pulser in conjunction with a probe - the pulser injects a signal and the probe is to see if the chips output changes in response.
                        Last edited by stj; 01-02-2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

no, a logic analyzer can record multiple channels at once,
                          a logic probe shows the state of a pin/signal
                          and a pulser injects pulses into a circuit.

you use a pulser in conjunction with a probe - the pulser injects a signal and the probe is to see if the chips output changes in response.
                          STJ,
                          I ended up picking up a LOGICAL ANALYSIS TEST KIT LTC-2 made by Continental Specialities. Its identical to the One from Global Specialities.

A couple of my firiends (local) have these kits and they use them commonly on old Arcade machines. After seeing them in action I decided to get one over the Holiday.

I also ended up picking up a Isolation Transformer for a upcoming project.

A Good Birthday Present.

Thanks
                          Chris

Comment

HMMM...
                            i prefer to make my own for under 10€ and spend the other 90 on beer and rum!
                            http://users.tpg.com.au/users/talkin...ser-Intro.html

Comment

HMMM...
                              i prefer to make my own for under 10€ and spend the other 90 on beer and rum!
                              http://users.tpg.com.au/users/talkin...ser-Intro.html
                              Thanks for the link...I will keep that in mind when I am looking for another project to solder up...

Happy New Year,
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X