Identifying a Missing SMD Component Asus ROG Strix H370-I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying a Missing SMD Component Asus ROG Strix H370-I

I have some semi working motherboards from a computer salvage lot on ebay . I was hoping to fix and repurpose them.

I have a mostly working Asus ROG Strix H370-I, I noticed the .2 WIFI slot does not work .

I then traced the board and there is a component missing here, as shown in the attached images ( image 1 is a generic image off web, image 2 is my board )

I reached out to Asus but I don't have much hope of them helping me out.

Can anyone identify this ?

Thanks in advance , this will save it from potential landfill
    Attached Files

Re: Identifying a Missing SMD Component Asus ROG Strix H370-I

Asus typically wont help . They technically could but wont .

Wish 'right to repair' was enforceable

Comment

I looked at some similar boards that have the same shape/size component , that run along the same traces ( from M.2 and USB) . On another board (B350 ITX) , it appears it has potentially two of these mystery components . A spare board a ESD Transistor C96CH, these are not available to buy , however there are similar ESD Transistors of the same size e.g 'C96BJ'

Perhaps I should just try this and see what happens

Comment

If the mystery device is a esd protection diode array, I think its absence would not stop the wifi slot from working. Maybe the protection array failed and was removed, but something else blew at the same time?

Comment

You may well be correct . The missing component's pad traces lead to the Intel Ethernet and USB 3.1 slots , the ethernet works full Gibabit , but the USB on these traces runs very slow (others are fine) .

There is continuity between the missing components pads and the WiFi slot, hence my assumption that the non working WiFi Slot , though I may be wrong .

Since I first posted I actually tried another couple of spare WiFi cards in the spare PCIE M.2 Slot, strangely the Wifi Card with less lanes (M.2 Less contacts) worked (in picture) just fine . Whereas the WiFi cards with more contacts/lanes get a 'code 10' error .
          Attached Files

Comment

Identifying 'C34QH' SMD Component Asus ROG Strix H370-I

I had found a supplier of the same board , whom took some pictures of the missing component, the missing component is named 'C34QH' (Picture attached)
            I couldn't find anything on Google so , I am back here to try figure out what this is . As shown there are traces that lead to the USB 3.1 ports and Ethernet .
            Attached Files

Comment

It seems to be a AZC099-04SP.R7G

Comment

its a ESD protection array ..google the spec . this item can be found in many mobo

Comment

Working...
                X