Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Radeon X1650pro stops motherboard power up

Originally posted by Pyr0Beast View Post
    Check voltages on that rail to see if it works.
    The replacement 70T03H shows voltages on its S D & G pins, using a mounting hole on the motherboard as ground reference

Rather than risk throwing good money after bad, I cannibalised a pair of IR F7413 (data sheet attached, if anyone's interested) from an artifacting 9800XT

This pic shows them in place (what a fiddly job that was)
    Attached Files
    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Replaced the original electrolytics with recycled (dislike wasting new money on obsolete consumer cr*p) trio of Rubycon MCZ and a Nichicon HM with A0601 date code
      Attached Files
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Still no continuity beeps from the Molex pins, so on to the acid test

The motherboard powers up, shows POST stuff on the screen, and freezes

It's an old Socket370 CUV4X-C which won't detect IDE devices, so no great loss if it fried

Time for the P4C800-E from another thread - it POSTs and boots into XP

Now I need to get a driver - wasted time downloading Catalyst WDM 10.2 from ATI-AMD, looks like I need the 75.6 MB of bloatware - graphics makers have become too sophisticated for their own good, what happened to K.I.S.S. ?

My thanks to everyone who made relevant posts - especially momaka, Pyr0Beast and Th3_uN1Qu3 for your ongoing patience

Comment

The software is the reason why I don't like ATi cards. It's far too bloated AND it requires .Net framework. Also the drivers are usually pretty crap anyway.

But if you want to forget about CCC, you can download a separate package which installs just the driver. You should still be able to configure resolution etc through Windows, but probably won't be able to change advanced 3D stuff etc.

Anyway, Good job!!
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Don't see why all the bashing, you can always grab the Omega drivers and use ATi Tray Tools. ATi drivers have gone a long long way.

nVidia's new control panel (well, it's been there for several years but for some it may be "new") also runs like crap and has like only half the stuff that you need, so just help yourself to some Omegas and enjoy.
            Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 12-30-2010, 05:01 AM.
            Originally posted by PeteS in CA
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
            A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I don't know about you but I have never managed to get Omega drivers to work well for me. That was a while ago, they might be better now.

But it's just stupid things.. for example I tried to play Call of Duty (the first one) the other day, on an HD5770 - it wouldn't even run. Turned out I had to rename the executable to that of some other game so that it would actually work.

Apparently it's been like that for quite some time now. I'm not saying nVidia wouldn't have those kinds of problems, it's just that they fix them. And Call of Duty isn't exactly some random game nobody has heard of, either.

And yes, the new nVidia control panel is horrible, but at least it doesn't require .Net (which is what annoys me the most about CCC)
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

I finished COD1 again on my 3870 last month, no problem. They will fix it. As for nV... the big 8000/9000 series fiasco, the renamed GT100s and 200s which are the same as the old cards, the driver update that killed several thousands of cards due to slowing down the fan instead of speeding it up, the powermizer DPC latency issues (crackly/stuttery audio) and that they've been behind ATi for the past 2 years yet their cards are still more expensive than the reds, well... sorry but no more nVidia for me.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                  I finished COD1 again on my 3870 last month, no problem. They will fix it. As for nV... the big 8000/9000 series fiasco, the renamed GT100s and 200s which are the same as the old cards, the driver update that killed several thousands of cards due to slowing down the fan instead of speeding it up, the powermizer DPC latency issues (crackly/stuttery audio) and that they've been behind ATi for the past 2 years yet their cards are still more expensive than the reds, well... sorry but no more nVidia for me.
                  Ati = Quality

Comment

Glad to hear it works.

Comment

Nice job!
                      Wasn't bad money after all, was it ? Sure it took some time and effort, but you probably learned something from it too.
                      Anyways, good to see another item saved from the trash (extra points here for using recycled parts too ).

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        but you probably learned something from it too.
                        Certainly did - now I should be able to do some straightforward electronic troubleshooting on my own next time

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        Sure it took some time and effort
                        Compared to buying something, plugging it in and having it work - how effete is that

~ 3 hours to end of 2010 here - Happy New Year everyone

Comment

Working...
                        X