Asus P5GC-MX bad KZG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P5GC-MX bad KZG

For now, this only has one visibly failed cap, down by the PCI slots (one of the 820uf 6.3v). This is the cap compliment-

(15) KZG 820uf 6.3v 8mm
    (4) KZG 1000uf 16v 8mm
    (2) KZG 1500uf 6.3v 8mm
    (1) Sanyo 680uf 6.3v 10mm
    (1) KZG 470uf 16v 8mm

Desktop is being used as a server in a Chiropractors office. It is not heavily utilized, but it does run 24/7. Inside temps are slightly elevated, as it runs two WD 250gb RE3 drives in RAID. However, I added a fan in the front and one in the back above the CPU when I built the RAID array. As it was originally built, the only exhaust was from the PSU, and the intake through a CPU fan duct.

Ordering the caps from the TopCat here, and will recap ASAP as a pre-emptive strike.
    Last edited by dood; 08-07-2011, 12:46 PM.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: Asus P5GC-MX bad KZG

Here's some pics to go along with the recap.

The overview of the board. The bad cap is down at the lower left of the RAM slots

CPU VRM caps. I did not replace the poly caps.

Recapped, and life is good.

A few things to note.

The board is stenciled backwards! Do not install your new caps with the stripe corresponding to the stripe on the board!

I assumed that all of the VRM caps were 1500 6.3's, because the two that I could see on either end were. As a result, I did not have the required 1000uf 16v 8mm caps on hand. I used 1200uf 16v 10mm caps. Unfortunately, one of the caps would not fit flush to the board due to two power mosfets. Also, the ones I had to use were Panasonic FM's, so their vent doesn't match all the Ruby's I used in other places

Also, they snuck in a single 470uf 16v cap down by the PCI Express slot. I had a replacement, but it's a Samxon, so the vent doesn't match the rest of the caps .

All in all, a very easy board to recap. Doesn't take much heat at all to get the solder flowing. Just took a bit of time to replace 23 caps total.
    Last edited by dood; 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I wish I would have seen this post before you ordered...

Those small little UCC caps aound the CPU... I think those are either TMZ or TMV... they are an unreliable series, and they're not polymers. I have an Asus motherboard here with a bunch of failed ones with the bungs popping out the bottom.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

They're TMV's. 680uf 4v. I don't see anything matching that Topcat sells. What do you use to replace them? I thought at that low of a voltage, they were Poly's, but didn't look them up.
        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Go the the polymer section on Topcat's site.

Something like the 4V 560uF or 2.5V 820uF should be suitable. I'm not sure which one would be better. Maybe someone can chime in.

Looks like you can fit 10mm there.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

10mm might be an option, but they can't be any taller, as the CPU HSF covers them.
            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I'm looking at my P5RD1-V with the busted TMVs. They're 8mm x 10mm~. The reason why I mentioned a 10mm wide part was because it looks like the board was designed for both 8mm and 10mm wide. My board only has space for 8mm...

Having said that, if your part must be 10mm high, and then I think these are a dead ringer:
              https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=79
              These tiny little caps are great for replacing failed lytics that are close to the CPU and are covered by the heatsink on your LGA775 board. These are short like the originals, and will clear the heatsink.

Comment

Replacing TMV with poly is a good choice.
                You only have 6 so I would go with 820uF if you can find some to fit.
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-08-2011, 03:34 PM.
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Old thread ressurection...

I'll probably be working on one of these in the near future... Cans omeone who has the P5GC-MX/1333 be kind enough and check if it actually registers the "/1333" suffix in the CPU-Z mainboard tab, I would appreciate it, because if this guy actually has the 1333 version, it would save me a lot of work on the VRM...

Regarding the VRM, I previously stated that "10mm height would be fine"... I actually just measured, 10mm would probably touch the bottom of the CPU heatsink so you would need 8mm high caps...

I'll probably scavenge some "polymer" FL from an Asus board... Interesting thing I found out about them when I desoldered one off an Asus board is that they have a concentric ring pattern on the bunge. I'd always attributed the ones with concentric rings from China as fakes, but could Asus have been using counterfeit FL on their boards?

Comment

there are 22 KZG caps on the board (P5GC-MX Revision 2.02G) consisting of:

4 x 16V 1000uF 8x20mm (VRM High)
                    2 x 6.3V 1800uF 8x20mm (VRM High)
                    16 x 6.3V 820uF 8x11.5mm (Memory filter caps, chispet filter caps, USB...)
                    1 x 16V 470uF 8x11.5mm (16X PCIe filter cap)

There are also 6 short stout 4V 680uF UCC TMV series caps on the VRM Low, one of which is bulging from the bottom. I'm going to use scavenged equivalent spec Panasonic FL caps for this (Those small ones without the sleeves).

There is also a single 10 or so mm large UCC "PS" series polymer cap near the memory slots which is rated at 6.3V 680uF.

Comment

*correction - 2 x 6.3V 1500uF not 1800uF though you can use 1800uF caps if you want. I'm about an hour and a half into it so far and I'm 1 cap shy of finishing the VRM. Then it's on to the 17 8x11.5 caps... FL went in without a hitch. They heat up very fast so you have to be quick with them.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                        I wish I would have seen this post before you ordered...

Those small little UCC caps aound the CPU... I think those are either TMZ or TMV... they are an unreliable series, and they're not polymers. I have an Asus motherboard here with a bunch of failed ones with the bungs popping out the bottom.
                        EVERY SINGLE TMZ/TMV I've ever run across had popped bungs. I always replace the 8x8mm with pollys, and the 8x20mm with panny 1800uf 6.3v FLs.

Comment

Working...
                        X