Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help selecting replacement caps for ECS K7VZM with bad G-LUXON caps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help selecting replacement caps for ECS K7VZM with bad G-LUXON caps...

System Info:
    ECS K7VZM v1.0
    Duron 800MHz
    256MB SDRAM (PC133)
    Diamond Video

I am looking to replace the capacitors on my nephew's older ECS K7VZM motherboard. It stopped booting recently -- it will power up to the BIOS but will not boot much beyond the hard drive detection. That's when my sister called me in. (Fun, huh!)

I found eight of the twelve G-LUXON 2200uF 6.3v 105C caps in the supply area have bulged. There are also seven G-LUXON 1000uF 6.3v 105C caps that I will also likely swap out, even though they have not bulged yet.

Using a crude inch ruler and converting, I get the following ballpark dimensions (do not take these as fact!):
    G-LUXON 2200uF 6.3v 105C - ~10mmx20mm
    G-LUXON 1000uF 6.3v 105C - ~8mmx16mm

I have looked at Digikey for Low ESR caps, but no Low ESR electrolytic caps in the 2200uF size showed up. I have reviewed the forum rules and gather that I can not ask for specific part numbers from distributers such as Digikey, but is it acceptable to ask questions about ripple current to help in my selection of replacement parts?

If so, I was told that higher ripple current == lower ESR. Is this correct? What ripple current would be good for replacement caps for this board. I saw some Nichicon "VR series" caps with 1000 mA of ripple current in the 10x20mm size. Is this high enough? There was also a Nichicon "PW series" cap that is taller at 10x25mm, but has 1440 mA ripple current. I don't think the height will be a problem considering the distance from the processor heatsink, but are these ripple currents anywhere near what I need?

Basically, what is a high enough ripple current to be acceptable?

I will try to post pictures later so others that may also have this ECS K7VZM board will know what to look for (though it wasn't hard to spot at all).

Thanks for any help you all can provide in my inquiries...

Re: Help selecting replacement caps for ECS K7VZM with bad G-LUXON caps...

I would recommend going with Newark InOne, as they sell the proven reliable Chemicon KZE for half the price of Digikey's Nichicon HE. But if you decide to go with Digikey, go for the Nichicon HE caps. These are low ESR and used sometimes on motherboards.
    The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

Thanks for the quick and detailed response.

Digikey also sells the Chemicons for much cheaper than Nichicon, but they didn't have a data sheet to look over, so I was worried that the Chemicons were inferior knock-offs. Are they of equal quality to the more name brand (at least to me) Nichicons and Panasonics?

Thanks again.

Comment

Digikey also sells KZE? I didn't know. But the Chemicon KZE are used on many motherboards and are high-quality.
        The great capacitor showdown!

Comment

You'll find links to Nichicon's, Panasonic's, Rubycon's, and UCC's catalogs (which will have impedance, ripple current, and life ratings, as well as what values, case sizes are available) here. The KZE, HE, and FM series are peers, though the ripple current rating for the HE is lower and the rated life is higher (a specsmanship trade-off).
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thanks again for the helpful responses.

For the sake of others reading this thread, I have narrowed my search to the following brands/models of 2200uF 6.3V capacitor for the ECS K7VZM:

Nichicon HE, 1650mA ripple, 4000+ life, 10mmx25mm
            Chemi-Con KZE, 2150mA ripple, 1000+ life, 10mmx25mm
            Panasonic FM, 2470mA ripple, 3000+ life, 10mmx25mm

The Chemi-Cons are the cheapest. Panasonics and Nichicons are pretty much even on price, and both are about 30% more costly than the Chemi-Cons at Digikey. After reviewing all the specs, I think I am going to go with the Panasonics for their good mix of ripple current and rated life. I suspect any of the three will be good replacements for the bloated G-LUXONs.

I am also attempting to attach a .jpg of the ECS K7VZM motherboard's power supply section where the two rows of bloated G-LUXON 2200uF caps can be found.

I will report back after I order parts and recap the K7VZM...
            Attached Files

Comment

those 8 by the CPU are tight. If you can only find 10mm width then you should solder in the row next to the CPU first so they are standing straight up and then you have only 1mm less clearance for the HSF. then solder in the next row but angled away from the CPU.

http://www.badcaps.net can supply you with 8mm Rubycon MBZ though which are extremely low esr.
              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

willawake,

Thanks for the note. I should have been more specific. The original caps by the CPU are 10mm 2200uF based on my crude inch ruler measurement, so the new ones will be the same diameter, only taller by 5mm (20mm vs 25mm).

In an effort to zero in on the bulging 2200uF caps, I didn't post a picture of the entire board, where you would have seen some of the 8mm 1000uF caps down around the PCI slots and elsewhere. The 1000uF aren't leaking yet, but will be replaced while I have the computer disassembled.

P.S. Congrats on your 1,000th post!

Comment

Recapping complete, and the K7VZM board is alive and running perfectly stable so far...

Notes from the recapping (for others who may be recapping a K7VZM):

1.) I selected the Panasonic FM series caps for my recapping. They seemed to have high ripple current (low esr). (See NOTE below.)

2.) NOTE ABOUT PANASONIC FM 1000uF 6.3V:
                  I read the datasheet wrong for the 1000uF 6.3v Panasonic FM caps. I needed 8mm diameter 1000uF 6.3v caps and Panasonic's 1000uF 6.3v FM caps are 10mm x 12.5mm. The 10mm caps did fit, but was very close in a couple of spots. I focused so much on the selection of 2200uF caps (the ones actually bulging) that this size issue with 1000uF slipped through the cracks. Fortunately, it ended up working out.

3.) The new 2200uF 6.3v caps are 5mm taller than the originals (10mmx25mm vs 10mmx20mm). This did not cause me any problems as there is still enough clearance between the existing heatsink and the 2200uF caps for the taller height to not be an issue. This could present a problem with very large heatsinks such as some of the Zalman products (I don't currently have any Zalmans to test fit, but some of their "flower" designs might not fit after this change).

Comment

Working...
                  X