Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abit KX7-333

Originally posted by FFXIhealer View Post
    In fact, I already had the latest BIOS revision flashed on there already (6.00PG). Looks to me like you just wanted to put your own brand on there. LOL
    Just a small nitpick: 6.00 is not Abit's BIOS revision.
    It is the revision that Phoenix gave it before Abit bought it and customized if for the mainboard.
    Abit's BIOS revision is "CN" with the datecode: 08-29-2003
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Got the MB back today - looks cherry. I got everything put back in place except the CPU cooler - I'm getting a new one with a Copper base and possibly bigger fan to go on the newer Barton core. This new cooler has three hole attachments on each side of the CPU socket, not the single hole kind on the old CPU. I'm sure either will work, but peace of mind.

I also got my two new 16MB EDO RAM sticks in today, so now my Windows 95 retro system has a full 64MB (4x16MB) of memory instead of 40MB (2x4MB + 2x16MB). Now I have to figure out how to sell these other 4MB SIMMs. Maybe Vogons people will have someone who wants them for a retro 286/386/486 DOS build. I remember 8MB going a LONG way back in 486/33 MHz days.

And I'll keep Topcat in mind if I need another re-cap job done. I have an ASUS P2B (440BX) revision 1.02 Slot 1 board and a Micronics M55HI+ Socket 7 board - both still working and both running retro gaming (Windows 98 and Windows 95 respectively, both with Voodoo2 Glide graphics power).

Comment

Bigger cooler, copper base, bigger fan, what's not to like?

The fact that the system STILL refuses to POST with the Radeon X700 Pro installed. It's definitely not a cap problem, boys. NO beep codes at all. If I pull the card out, it gives me a "no VGA" beep code. Put the 9550xl back in, boots just fine. I even went into the BIOS to disable AGP Fast Write and change the memory size or whatever it was from 64M to 256M and still nothing. I had to end up clearing CMOS to get the thing to boot correctly again, but I got it up.

I'm thinking it's a problem with the X700 Pro chip being a PCI-Express chip and having to go through an AGP bridge adapter for it to work on an AGP slot. I haven't heard anything, but I want to say here and now that it absolutely will not work on anything less than AGP 3.0 (8x and 0.8v signal level). The MB I have only supports AGP 2.0 specs (4x and 1.5v signal level).

Oh well, back to Ebay it is. That, and I get to find out how hard it is to sell one of these cards (the X700) without verifying that the card actually works first.
        Attached Files

Comment

Bigger cooler, copper base, bigger fan, what's not to like?

The fact that the system STILL refuses to POST with the Radeon X700 Pro installed. It's definitely not a cap problem, boys. NO beep codes at all.
          Reminds me of socket 775 motherboards... If I don't have the RAM in right, it often strangely won't even give me a bleep code! It instead plays dead like I crushed the core! Just fans and LEDs...
          (Asus P5QL Pro and Asus Maximus II Gene)

I think I had a problem like that with a video card before, it strangely didn't bitch at me like it usually does... (Asus A7N8X-X)
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-10-2017, 03:08 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Nice cooler, have you checked that gfx with other Mobo?

Comment

Originally posted by Drack View Post
              Nice cooler, have you checked that gfx with other Mobo?
              Nope. Why? Because I don't have another motherboard with an AGP slot except for an even older ASUS P2B, which only has an AGP 1x/2x slot.

The next (newer) motherboard than this Abit KX7-333 is the one in my Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 laptop - which has a custom PCI-Express slot for the GeForce Go 7800 GTX card that's in there now. This Abit MB is the last AGP MB I have.

Comment

^
                That wasnt the point....might try it in another board to verify that it's good.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  ^
                  That wasnt the point....might try it in another board to verify that it's good.

I
                  do
                  not
                  have
                  another
                  motherboard
                  to
                  try
                  it
                  on.

Comment

well golly....I didn't realize it was that difficult to find an AGP motherboard/system to test with.... It's not like its an antiquity like a VL bus GPU or something....

If you want to pay the shipping, I'll be glad to test it at no charge.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

I have 4 agp Mobo's here lol (2 with bad kzg on vrm and one working kind of weird but the other ones works) they are cheap, just buy one of those 2 bucks p4s CPU Mobo combo if you have the money

Comment

If I were closer to you I would send you the one that works weird (the one that works perfectly is in my PC if not I would send that) it's just one memory bank that works when it fucking wants, but ago it's OK, sadly I'm too far away from you that's why I said the 2 bucks deals on ebay

Comment

ASUS P2B, which only has an AGP 1x/2x slot.
                          yea most likely that is a 3.3v agp slot which wont work with a 1.5v agp card. it might even be keyed differently so u dont insert the wrong card and fry stuff.

just fyi, it is well known that the rialto bridge chip on those pci-e to agp cards dont like via chipsets. a search around the web shows lots of users with x1950, radeon 2400/2600 and 3450/3650/3850 agp users with lots of issues getting these cards to work on or be detected by via chipset boards. sometimes, the board refuses to post with these cards inserted like yours. intel chipsets dont have issues with the rialto bridge chip.
                          Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 02-14-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

X700 isn't a particularly desirable card anyway, if you are making a retro system it doesn't really belong in a older board such as you have.

Geforce 3 and 4's are usually very easy to come by, a 9800 pro would be a good card too.

Comment

Well, I know this thread of discussion is a bit long in the tooth, and perhaps the OP stopped caring about the X700, discarded it, and moved on completely by now. But it's somewhat difficult to help troubleshoot the card without knowing what it looks like, IE the stock capacitor choice, etc... it would help to inspect and peruse the underside and overside for bad solder joints too. Did you try cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol by any chance? Does the card have an auxiliary berg (floppy connector) that mandates a floppy connector for additional power drawn from the +12V and +5V rail (or possibly an auxiliary molex connector for the same purpose)? And if it does, do the joints look cracked at all at the top or bottom, like in the images below?

Ideally, it (the connector) would look like the following image:

It should NOT have lifted and cracked joints, like this:

I could be way off and the issue could be much closer to what Chaos suggested, a chipset incompatibility issue, it could even be a bad BGA chipset or RAM... there could even be a faulty MOSFET on the card and only a multimeter would really tell you that. I also want to elucidate what I said about flux before... I meant paste or liquid flux and not plumber's flux (regarding how flux helps heat transfer from the tip of your soldering iron to the joints soldered to the PCB itself). That stuff is corrosive and will eat traces. I hope the card didn't suffer any ESD damage as well.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X