ABit VP-6 will not post...about 34 months old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABit VP-6 will not post...about 34 months old

First post...I have emailed...you, TC, I think...

Well, yesterday evening working on my computer and *POOF* the monitor goes colored pixels/colored snow. CTRL-ALT-DEL does no good...reset does no good...have to power down using the front panel button. At the time of the *POOF* noticed an acrid burning smell...Tried to reboot, power supply fans came on, case fans came on...bad smell came...but no POST. Tried multiple times, no POST. Measured +12V output, about +7 V. Bought a new Power supply (only 450 W, had been using 500 W). Still no POST, but now even the power supply fans will not power up. Front panel power button not working...Red light on the VP-6 comes on, though. So, being a member of www.VP-6.com, I knew about the bad cap issue. I removed the Motherboard, and the caps LOOK fine...but wait...some of the smaller caps have bulged tops, so I figure this is the problem, and now I have been bit by the "Bad Cap" bug. So, I think the motherboard needs the repairs mentioned in the VP-6 project. I am not an electronic tech, so...perhaps...this repair can be effected? As I mentioned, I have emailed and also filled out a quote request, I am just awaiting a reply. I also wanted to post here to offer you a public thanks for this site--I know a little about the time it must take out of your day. Very much appreciated.

Well, here's to hoping my Motherboard can be salvaged!!

Best regards,

MNEyeDoc

the poof was likely a cap venting.
    good chance a recap will bring it back.
    tc or i can do it if soldering is over your head.
    can you post pics of the bulging ones?

Comment

Working...
    X