Help for repair Gigabyte GA-7VT600-1394

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for repair Gigabyte GA-7VT600-1394

Hi people, this board have the atx connector melted to the psu cable, because a psu issue. I divided the cable from the atx connector of the board and i find 5 bad caps.

2 x 3300uF 6,3v 105° (4 in total)
    2 x 1000uF " " (10 in total)
    1 x 1500uF " " (3 in total)
    It have 11 x 100uF 10v 105° and 2 x 1200uF 6,3v 105°.

I plugged the board on a good psu and it works but very instable.
    I must change ALL the caps on the board, or i can chage only the bads?
    What's the best choice for this type caps?

thanx

Re: Help for repair Gigabyte GA-7VT600-1394

if i would do a poly mod , what can i use?

Comment

Whats the brand of the original caps?

Comment

3300uF 6,3v 105° Nichicon HM(M)
        1500uF " " Nichicon HM(M)
        1200uF " " Nichicon HM(M)
        1000uF " " Rubycon MBZ
        100uF 10v " Choyo MR

Comment

i should replace the atc connector, can you help me?

Thanx very much.

Comment

For the 3300s, these
            For the 1500s, these
            For the 1200s, these
            for the 1000s, thses
            for the 100s, these

10v and 6.3v caps are interchangable. the voltage is simply the maximum the cap can handle.

How bad is the damage to the connector? Pictures?
            Last edited by c_hegge; 10-21-2010, 03:18 PM.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

This is my atx

I looked in the forum about polymer caps, and some user used them.
              What type can i use for doing a "polymod" for this motherboard?

Comment

Definately replace that ATX power connector. Please not that poly-modding is expensive and NOT guarranteed to work. Also, Topcat (the owner of this site) doesn't carry all of the poly sizes needed for this mod, so I would suggest using Digikey if your in the US.

For the 3300s, these

For the 1500s and 1000s, these. Note that these polys are 10mm diameter while your 1000uF electrolytics are probably 8mm. You may have to mount them off the PCB a bit to get them to fit.

For the 1200s, these

for the 100s these

Also note that you normally halve the capacitance for the caps in the CPU VRM, but keep it the same elsewhere. I have successfully poly-modded motherboards in the past using similar caps to the ones I suggested here.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

#1 - I wouldn't poly anything except the VRM and maybe the RAM.
                  #2 - There are no 16v caps in your list which suggests it's wrong.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

if i had better pics esp of the vrm i could give advice.

Comment

Rubycon YXF are good enogh? i see them have 8000-10000 hours of life.

Comment

That number is not their expected lifetime.
                        Think about it. - A year is 8760 hours.

"Rubycon YXF are good enogh?"
                        Maybe for the Choyo.
                        Definitely not for the HM and MBZ.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                          #1 - I wouldn't poly anything except the VRM and maybe the RAM.
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9466 - Full poly-mod on two of GA-7VAs (not quite identical but close enough) and both worked fine.
                          #2 - There are no 16v caps in your list which suggests it's wrong.
                          That board uses the 5v for the CPU power, so no 16v caps are needed.

Comment

A DDR400 + AGP 8x board with only a 20-pin and everything on 5v?
                            - No wonder the power connector committed suicide.

20 and 24 pin Molex are only rated for 6 amps/pin.

6-amps x 5v x 4-pins = 120 watts and your done..

5x PCI - up to 50 watts [PCI is spec'ed for 2 amps on 5v - each slot]
                            AGP 8x - up to 42 watts
                            Takes CPUs up to 79 watts
                            Plus RAM, LAN, Sound and USB.....

I'm thinkin' it's REAL easy to burn-out the power connector on this board if you aren't doing the math for loading.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

A DDR400 + AGP 8x board with only a 20-pin and everything on 5v?
                              - No wonder the power connector committed suicide.

20 and 24 pin Molex are only rated for 6 amps/pin.

6-amps x 5v x 4-pins = 120 watts and your done..

5x PCI - up to 50 watts [PCI is spec'ed for 2 amps on 5v - each slot]
                              AGP 8x - up to 42 watts
                              Takes CPUs up to 79 watts
                              Plus RAM, LAN, Sound and USB.....

I'm thinkin' it's REAL easy to burn-out the power connector on this board if you aren't doing the math for loading.
                              Can i change/mod it someway, or only a great psu can help me?

Rubycon MBZ/MCZ are the best , for this motherboard? What about rubycon ZL/ZLH?

Do you know how can extract the atx power connector, in save way?

Thanx a lot for your help

Comment

The HM and MBZ need to be replaced with MBZ or better.
                                ZL are not good enough.
                                - These are okay
                                Rubycon MBZ, MCZ
                                Panasonic FJ, FL
                                Sanyo/Suncon WG
                                Nichicon HM, HN [with date codes 2006 or newer]

The limitation is the 6 amps per pin in the connector.
                                - The only way to fix that is to add more +5v pins or make sure you don't go over 120 watts for the total of all the +5v loads.
                                -
                                Adding a 4-pin molex would give you one more +5v pin and about another 30 watts capacity on +5v. [The 4-pin molex pins are technically rated for 8 amps but figure as 6 amps to stay conservative/safe.]
                                -
                                For the added pin use a 4-pin to 4-pin molex extension cable. [Hard drive power extension cable.]
                                Cut the appropriate [un-needed] end off leaving long wires on the needed end.
                                Remove the +12v [yellow] wire and remove one ground wire so you only have the +5v [red] wire and one ground wire.
                                Then find a place to attach the red to +5v and the black to a ground on the mobo.
                                -
                                Since you have to remove the 20-pin connector anyway you could attach the add-on connector to the solder pins for the replcement 20-pin on the under side of the board.
                                -
                                An alternate place to add the 4-pin connector would be an unused cap position that has one leg on +5v and the other leg on ground. The wires will be bigger than the holes in the board so you will need to use [solder in] some cap lead scraps to use as soldering posts then attach the wires to the posts.

I would not try to add more than one pin because the traces on the motherboard also have amps limits and the traces might become the weak point.
                                - This is a mod. There are no guarantees with mods.

!!!!
                                When I say 'add one pin' I actually mean one +5v pin AND one ground pin.
                                When you add amps to a + voltage you need to add the same amps to the ground side too.

""Do you know how can extract the atx power connector, in safe way?""
                                Normal soldering techniques are fine.
                                Use some solder wick and de-solder the connector pins, then remove it.
                                Many pins makes it a little difficult but not too bad.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Please excuse my very newbie question: what's better between MBZ and MCZ?

Comment

MCZ and HN are equivalent and have lower ESR than the others in my little list there.

All the others are equivalent to each other.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

rubycon zl are low esr but not motherboard-grade. they are more for power supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                        rubycon zl are low esr but not motherboard-grade. they are more for power supplies.
                                        Nope: ZL are motherboard grade.

'Motherboard grade' is kind of a 'loose' [general] description.
                                        There are maybe 6 or 8 ESR grades that are motherboard grade.

ZL is good enough for VRM output and RAM on most P3 boards.
                                        Good enough for most other places on newer boards.
                                        Last edited by PCBONEZ; 10-24-2010, 10:48 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X