Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS M2N-E no POST, no video, no beeps

Hi.

I'm new here. My computer was working fine for the past 18 months. One morning, while my computer was on, some use a power saw that drains a lot of electricity, which forces the power to get cut out. That also cut the power from my computer as well. Two hours later, when the power came back on I turned my computer on and everything was working fine as usual. About an hour later, I left my computer on the internet and went to school. About three hours later I came home and found my computer froze and the mouse LED wasn't on either. So I restarted my computer and now it wouldn't POST or beeps and I also get no video on my tested to be working monitor. All of my other hardware has already been tested and confirmed to be working except for the motherboard and CPU.

Here are my specs:
    M2N-E bios 1601
    Athlon64 3500+ (ADA3500IAA4CN)
    Crucial 2 x 1 GB dual memory
    Sapphire X300SE 128MB
    Hitachi 250GB HD SATA
    Generic 300W PSU
    D-Link Wireless PCI card
    Windows 7 32-bit

I don't see cracks or leaks on any of the capacitors. This is an RMA board that I received 18 months ago. I really like this board and can't afford a new motherboard that can support all my current hardware. Please help me find the cause as to why this motherboard won't POST. Thanks in advance.

Re: ASUS M2N-E no POST, no video, no beeps

The BIOS could have gotten corrupted. But first, try a PCI video card, as i've seen dead PCI-E slots on one of those.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Generic 300W PSU may also be the problem

Could you buy or borrow a replacement, to see if that fixes it
      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Thank you for setting aside some time to read my post and helping me with is problem Th3_uN1Qu3.

PCI video card is a really good idea, but sadly I don't one or know anyone who has one. I've though about the BIOS too, but I wasn't flashing it. The computer was connected to the internet and frozen when I came back. Now when I press the power button, the CPU and case fans spin and that's about it. The red HDD LED light stays on solid. I don't hear any beeps. I also tried taking everything out of the case and setting it on a cardboard box with just the CPU w/HS & fan, video card, and one stick of ram, but it's still the same.

It's either the motherboard or the CPU, but I don't have any extra CPU or motherboard to test it out. Is there any other ways to find out which part is bad? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pfrcom View Post
          Generic 300W PSU may also be the problem

Could you buy or borrow a replacement, to see if that fixes it
          Yes you right. The Generic 300W PSU may be the problem. My friend was kind enough to let me borrow his Ultra V-series 500W PSU from his gaming computer and it's still the same. I also tested my PSU on his computer and it works perfectly.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Reset the CMOS as stated earlier.

If still dead, take the northbridge heatsink off and see if it's cooked.
            Make sure to re-attach it properly.

Comment

I cleared the CMOS and it's still the same.

Here's an online picture of the motherboard that I have:
              http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/asus_m2n_e.jpg

I'm not sure where the northbridge is. The SouthBridge is the square piece right? So from the picture, the northbridge is "to the north" of the CPU socket? Also, how can I tell if it's cooked or not?

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Oh yes, this is an AMD board. My bad.

Comment

You're just trying to help. It's cool. Anything helps.
                  Last edited by jtg; 01-09-2011, 06:26 PM.

Comment

If yours is identical to the picture, it does have a removable BIOS chip, in a socket just to the left of the SATA connectors

That gives you the option of easily trying a replacement BIOS chip, especially compared to a BIOS chip soldered direct to the board
                    better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

If you don't have a PCI video card or a way to borrow such a dinosaur, mark the board "dead" and call it a day.

A friend had a M2N-E SLI that had its PCI-E slots fried by a shorted video card. Would work with PCI video. I got it with plans to use it for a game server. At least till i decided to update the old buggy BIOS... big mistake. The new BIOS prolly contained some code that detected the faulty slots and prevented the board from powering up at all.
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Nvidia chipsets don't always have a separate northbridge and southbridge. In this case, you should look at the chip under the square heatsink. The fins near the CPU socket are cooling off the VRM.

One symptom of a bad chipset is that it will get very hot. Gently touch the square heatsink and see if it gets very warm very quickly. Careful not to burn yourself. A properly functioning chipset will get warm as well, but will usually do so gradually. Unfortunately, Nvidia chipsets are not the most reliable out there. If you do decide to take the heatsink off to visually inspect the chip, be very careful not to bend the heat pipe. They are not very thick copper and often bend with very little effort.

Finally, it looks like that board has a socketed bios chip. It would be easy to swap it out if the bios was corrupted by the power surge. A power surge can damage the bios chip even if you were not flashing it at the time. It's rare, but it happens. A pre-flashed bios chip can be found on ebay for less than $10 if you're in the US. If you are, let me know and I can recommend a seller I've used in the past with good results.

Comment

Thank you for everyone's input. I really appreciate your help.

Th3_uN1Qu3

I'm curious to know, did the video card that shorted out the PCI-E slots still work in another computer? My video card is tested and is confirmed to be working. When I power it up in my motherboard, for a minute or two, it feels a little warm.

pfrcom : Thank god that this board has a removable BIOS chip. I'll get it replace and see what happens.

yyonline

Powering on my board for two minutes, I touched the square heatsink and it doesn't feel warm at all, so I guess it's okay. What should I look for when I remove heatsink?

Yes, I'm in the US. Please recommend me the seller that you've used in the past with good results.

Comment

If you're going to try swapping BIOS chips, I'd recommend getting a proper PLCC extractor to pull the chip

You can lever it out with a fine jeweller's screwdriver, but it's easy to crack the socket if you're not uber-careful

If the socket's cracked the BIOS chip will then make erratic contact, and you'll then have a permanent, most likely unfixable, problem

Comment

Originally posted by jtg View Post
                              Powering on my board for two minutes, I touched the square heatsink and it doesn't feel warm at all, so I guess it's okay. What should I look for when I remove heatsink?
                              Look for any burned or dark spots which could indicate the chip is damaged. That said, more often than not, there will be no visible damage. The "excessive heat test" can only prove that it's bad. Just because it doesn't get hot doesn't necessarily mean that it's good.

Yes, I'm in the US. Please recommend me the seller that you've used in the past with good results.
                              Ebay ID: biosdepot

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIOS-Chip-ASUS-M...item588665346a

In my experience, I've never had to return anything I've ordered from that seller. As others have mentioned, I'd recommend getting a proper chip puller. It can be done without one if you're very careful, but it's always better to have the correct tool for the job.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that there could be unfixable consequences. Does the PLCC extractor pulls the entire chip straight out of the socket? And when I put the BIOS chip in the socket, are there procedures I need to follow? Or is it straight forward, just pushing in the chip?

Comment

Vote #3 for a bad power supply.
                                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                  -

Comment

I'm curious to know, did the video card that shorted out the PCI-E slots still work in another computer? My video card is tested and is confirmed to be working. When I power it up in my motherboard, for a minute or two, it feels a little warm.
                                    No, somebody asked my friend to test that video card as his computer wouldn't start with it. My friend found out the hard way that the card was fried.

You could try swapping the BIOS i guess. The only BIOS swap i did was on a ECS board where the dumbasses who run the site found it funny to post the wrong BIOS update.

Comment

You have a defective nForce northbridge. Chuck the motherboard in the trash.
                                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

This one suffered a power surge and then froze - AFTER SOME USE.
                                        If power surge got the Chipset there wouldn't have been 'some use' after the surge.

Sounds a lot more like cheap surge protection & input filter in PSU allowed PSU damage but just enough for one more boot.
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X