Epox 9NDA3+ with exsessive coil noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Epox 9NDA3+ with exsessive coil noise

I don't know anyone that has done it first hand but I know and have read it can be done...

It's not something I'm gonna try myself though, because I will not get it any better than what it is right now...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

This mobo sure is interesting... I had some Registered ECC RAM laying around so I thought I'd try it in the 9NDA3+

It fired up just fine... Ran for a day then I put another stick in, also ran just fine... It does not wanna run in Dual Channel mode but single channel with two DIMMs is fine... Been running it for about a week now without a single problem...

If you are more interested I ran a topic about it on Storagreview

Mind you this is PC2700 RAM and I'm running it at 2.5-3-3-7-1T 182Mhz so I am even overclocking it...

Anyone know how I can check if ECC is enabled or not?
      Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-07-2006, 02:41 PM.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Ok, the board has soon been running for 2 months with 2 registered ECC memories without issues...

I'm kinda itching to send Epox a mail letting them know this

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
          Ok, the board has soon been running for 2 months with 2 registered ECC memories without issues...
          Registered? Are you sure they're not just ECC (which the Epox can't use anyway I think)? I though the socket 939 K8's didn't work with registered at all...

Out of curiosity, do you recall which brand/model they are?

PS. Glad to see it's still operational, with 2 DIMMs even.

Comment

Yea, I'm pretty sure they are Registered ECC :P

If you follow the link above to SR you will also see this:

I got the memories over, bought 10 of em, 6 went into my Intel server

The seller said they where used in a IBM server before, they have IBM printed on them so...

Just as you I did not think the non Opteron socket 940 CPU's supported Registered memory, but as can clearly be seen here the socket 939 CPU's must be based off the Socket 940 memory controller since they do support ECC/Reg memory...

Also there is not a single mention of ECC or Registered memory support in the mainboards manual... There are also no ECC memory options in the BIOS
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-11-2014, 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Just as you I did not think the non Opteron socket 940 CPU's supported Registered memory, but as can clearly be seen here the socket 939 CPU's must be based off the Socket 940 memory controller since they do support ECC/Reg memory...
              Intriguing - particularly when the socket 940 CPUs, or at least boards, tend to only work with registered memory... I'll read up a little on this and see what I can discover.
              Also there is not a single mention of ECC or Registsered memory support in the mainboards manual... There are also no ECC memory options in the BIOS
              Indeed - it's the same with my wife's MSI board - she has two 1G sticks of DDR ECC in it, same as what I use in my Tyan one, but in her case it simply defaults to ECC disabled, with no bios options to change this.

Comment

They are registered all right:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...psg1MIGR-53008

Strange that cpu-z read manufacturing week 69.

Comment

Originally posted by jsteenbrugge
                  They are registered all right:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...psg1MIGR-53008

Strange that cpu-z read manufacturing week 69.
                  Oh they're definitely registered - see the two chips above the central notch. There are nine memory chips, which means they're ECC as well.

Comment

Hehe, sent a mail in to Epox letting them know this mobo works with ECC/Reg memory, I'm still wroking on understanding their reply :P

Dear Sir
                    Thanks for your information feedback.
                    The board for desktop PC system Spec. was not support registered ECC
                    memory,even it can work ,the board's bios for ECC function was no item can
                    option ,the default setup was disabled ,even it can use,for some function
                    work will be limited.

Thank you for your interest in EPoX products and contacting our support
                    department. If you reply ensure to include all previous E-mail text. It will
                    prevent unnecessary delays and guarantee the fastest possible response.

Best Regards,
                    =================================================
                    Technical Support (CMH)
                    EPoX Computer Co., LTD. (Head office)
                    E-Mail : support@epox.com.tw
                    Web : www.epox.com
                    Please provide previous E-mail text if replying.
                    Specifications subject to change without notice.
                    =================================================

Comment

Thanks for your information feedback.
                      Negative feedback - the more information you give them, the less they return.

The board for desktop PC system Spec. was not support registered ECC
                      memory,

Reg memory *was* not supported. As in, it wasn't until you installed it. Then it became supported.

the board's bios for ECC function was no item can option
                      There's no option to automatically "can" the board. As in, it's missing a BIOS-based self-destruct utility. ECC stands for "Enhanced Canning Capability" in this context.

work will be limited
                      They predict a crash in the IT job market.

Comment

So, I bought Super Nade's Opteron 144.
                        And boy is it a nice overclocker, I have the mobo in a Lian-Li PC-65 case, and the CPU is cooled by a Zalman CNPS9500. I've hit 3.1ghz stable just like Nade said. CPU voltage is 1.59v (set to +0.15v in BIOS)

I'm still using that ECC memory, so it's only PC2700 for this nice CPU... Feels like the system could really use another GB of RAM now, and working dual channel mode for that matter...

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=231469

But really, 345Mhz HTT on this mobo tiresias; sure you don't want it back?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Just as a side note: I can only put RAM in two specific DIMM slots (which are not dual channel ennabled)
                          If I try to populate 3 or 4 DIMM slots I get C1 memory error... I think this is because the mainboard does not like dual channel mode for some reason, and there is no option in this BIOS to manually disable it... Anyone feel up to the task to hack that option into the BIOS? And for that matter the enable/disable ECC option?

Bios can be downloaded here: http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=322

Comment

Good to know that the chip is working out well. I'd be tempted to say that your board has a severe VDroop issue. With the NF4 SLI-DR Expert, the max VCore I used was 1.58V to hit 3.2GHz. You should be able to hit 3.1 GHz at about 1.55V.
                            Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                            Zippy GSM-6600P
                            Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                            Abit IP35Pro
                            ATi HD4870

Comment

I have not really tested it that much yet, had to drop it down to 3.0ghz to get the memory at 166mhz DDR, system was not stable after all... (so much for 22 hours of Prime95 lol)

I'm currently trying to RMA some dead TwinMOS memory I have here, 2 sticks 2GB in total, would be nice if I get to choose some better RAM if they accept the RMA, then maybe I can really get this system to fly!

Comment

Per Hansson probably no longer has this motherboard but....am I the
                                only person who seems to notice [refer post #6] that the middle coil
                                on this board seems to only have 14 TURNS, while the outside two
                                coils have 15 turns... 3phase pwr, mmmm...no wonder it sang in pain..
                                incidently this webpage mentions whine fm EP-9NDA+ also;
                                http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-...;f=38;t=000243
                                and I might as well mention that some Epox manuals/drivers CAN be
                                still downloaded using instructions at this webpage;
                                http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1479045
                                Vale Epox:::R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                                X