Imac G5 few cap replaced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imac G5 few cap replaced

I purchased a dead iMac G5 17. The iMac powered up, but there was no video on the screen. I replaced the bulged caps on the logic board. I'm only getting the first and second green LED light on the logic board. The monitor only show a grey screen now. No beep or apple image during start up.
    Should all the other caps(non bulged) be replaced?

Re: Imac G5 few cap replaced

Yes. What caps did you use? Brand? Series? Which ones?

Picture perhaps?
    veritas odium parit

Comment

The replaced 1800 caps are Rubycon MCZ. They are the ones near the G5 air duct and the caps near the ram boards.
      Attached Files

Comment

Cap choice is fine. Perhaps finishing all of them may correct the problem. The video at least showing something is an improvement, yes?

Did you get the chime at all when you first got the unit?

Be sure to clean out that air duct and the lower fan. The fins get clogged easily.

Check the PSU for blown caps while you're there.

Toast
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Replacing the some of the caps got me video. A good sign. I can not recall, but I think the iMac did have a chime initially. That is why I'm lost . I did have to scrap away some of the logic board green coating, as I did burn one of the pad for a cap .
          I will order more caps to replace the remainder caps.

Comment

I trimmed the leads short, so that they did not ground out. Would the issue be in the caps near the ram boards?
            The three fans have been clean and the plastic air duct have been wiped down.
            Last edited by 8cuda; 01-05-2012, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Do an SMU reset: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...46&postcount=6

By my statement "Be sure to clean out that air duct and the lower fan." I meant that long air channel that has the big G5 on it. That's the heatsink for the GPU/CPU and the fins inside it get clogged Badly. Make sure they're clear. The lower fan blows thru that.

The KZJ series has problems with heat, so replacement of the rest of the caps may just fix the problem.

Again, check and recap the PSU.

Toast
              Last edited by Toasty; 01-05-2012, 01:24 AM. Reason: insert SMU reset link
              veritas odium parit

Comment

I would recommend resetting the pram + what toasty said. Especially about changing all the caps

To Reset your computer's PRAM (Parameter RAM).

•If your iMac is on, turn it off by pressing the power button in until the computer powers off. You should hear the drives and fans go quiet.

•Wait for a few seconds.

•While the computer is off, with your left hand, hold down the Apple key, the option key next to it, and the letter R. When you have them all pressed push the power button with your right hand and then quickly move that hand to hold down the letter P. Keep the four keys pressed while the computer starts up.

•Make sure you hold down the four keys (P-R-Command-Option) while the computer starts up. When you keep all the keys held down, you will hear the startup chime over and over again (about every ten seconds) until you let go. After you hear the second chime, you can let go of the keys.

•If you didn't hear at least two startup chimes, go to step one on this page and try again. It's important that you two startup chimes when performing this procedure. This indicates that you have successfully reset the computer's PRAM (Parameter RAM).
                Last edited by Damone; 01-16-2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X