X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: soyo-k7v dragon plus

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
    It wasn't about manufacturing costs.
    And empty cache sockets had nothing to do with the fake cache BS.
    Empty cach sockets were NORMAL.

It was about the cost of memory chips at the time.
    Exactly, not having to include said cache chips reduced the manufacturing costs of the board, this inherently impacted directly on the [i]'bottom line'[/b] and what the product could be retailed for, while this practice may have been considered normal, it was frowned upon here and only PC retailers who were in for a quick buck sold them
    Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I learned a few things from a young guy who brought old boards back to life.
      He treated the rows of cache chips like we do the badcaps, if they were loaded in sockets he'd replace them, if they weren't there or only some he'd fill all banks.
      Carried around a tube of memory and found BadCache chips about one out of ten.
      Even like you guys, knew which chip brands were likely NG.
      He as well mentioned the Bios quit often.
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by arneson
        -- while this practice may have been considered normal, it was frowned upon here -
        I guess we just had a different outlook. To us it meant we could beef the board up later and if the cache went bad (fairly common back then) then just the cache chips could be replaced rather than the entire motherboard.

Originally posted by arneson
        -- He treated the rows of cache chips like we do the badcaps, if they were loaded in sockets he'd replace them, if they weren't there or only some he'd fill all banks. -- and found BadCache chips about one out of ten. --
        I did a fair amount of cache chip swapping myself back then. One in ten bad sounds about right. Those old style cache chips were very easy to kill with just a little static.

The two nice things about socketed cache were (one) you could save the board if the cache was the only problem and (two) very often you could double or sometimes even 4x the cache on the board by simply swapping chips.

Semi related.
        They used to do something similar by socketing the video memory on video cards.
        - I'd rather like to see that idea come back. Video cards with just a DDR slot.
        You could decide how much memory you wanna run -and- upgrade it later if needed.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

I'd rather like to see that idea come back. Video cards with just a DDR slot.
          You could decide how much memory you wanna run -and- upgrade it later if needed.
          I really like the sound of that... so I could upgrade the memory chips just like we used to do with the old i386 motherboard (before memory modules), you could certainly cut down on a lot of wasted RAM chips (recycle)
          Last edited by tazwegion; 08-03-2006, 07:49 PM.
          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

great story, great discussion. the first time i have a computer is back in 1999. i guess that empty brown slot near the cpu (p100) is a cache slot?

i was underjudging the quality of mobo with strange name like epox or soyo, they can't be good because...their name were strange! i was a fans of gigabyte back then, until they run out from the stock in the shop when i see that green ugly epox motherboard....
            days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by yanz
              i was underjudging the quality of mobo with strange name like epox or soyo, they can't be good because...their name were strange! i was a fans of gigabyte back then, until they run out from the stock in the shop when i see that green ugly epox motherboard....
              It is said beauty is in the eye of the beholder... despite their use of YUK capacitors, I'm still quite fond of Epox motherboards
              Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Taz, I also have used a number of Epox boards and found them to be of good quality and layout. Exception has been bad cap brands. From my signature you can see that my current board is Epox.

Originally posted by tazwegion
                It is said beauty is in the eye of the beholder... despite their use of YUK capacitors, I'm still quite fond of Epox motherboards
                Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                Samsung 18x DVD writer
                Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                33 way card reader
                Windows XP Pro SP3
                Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Originally posted by davmax
                  Taz, I also have used a number of Epox boards and found them to be of good quality and layout. Exception has been bad cap brands. From my signature you can see that my current board is Epox.
                  I agree with your point, because i have also many experience EPOX boards till to now since Year 2000.
                  My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Bump!
                    Since I got no replies in my post, thought I'd try this one, seems like a few of you know this board well....

I just received this motherboard....no caps have visible signs of problems.
                    It came with a Palomino XP-1900+ which I confirmed works in another Socket A board.

I am trying to verify if the board is still good. The Soyo site claims the VIA KT266A chipset supports PC1600 and PC2100 DDRAM.
                    I only have sticks of PC2700.
                    I discovered DIMM1 slot is damaged. Two legs are missing.
                    I inserted a PC2700 DIMM into the other slots, reset the BIOS jumper, and tried to boot. No joy.
                    No beeps, no video signal. Tried two working video cards.
                    Power button successfully shuts down power.

Is it the RAM I used? Or is this board porked (ie. dead BIOS or otherwise)?

Need to know if anyone has run 2700 DDR on it. I know some chipsets are finnicky about speed.
                    “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
                    We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

I have a K7V Dragon Plus with an XP1800 Palomino - runs fine with a single 512mb stick of Elixir DDR400
                      better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Thanks pfrcom, I can now toss this board then.
                        “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
                        We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Soyo Group: Manufactured in CALIFORNIA for North & South America.
                          [Haven't looked so I have no clue where mine came from but I'd bet CA, USA.]
                          Majorly low chance of that! Why don't it say "MADE IN USA" or "ASSEMBLED IN USA"? LOL.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

One is "MADE IN USA"
                            One is "MADE IN China"
                            One doesn't admit where it came from.
                            And I can't get to the others at the moment.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

One is "MADE IN USA"
                              That is rare! At least since the 2000s, almost everything is made outside USA.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

My 2002 K7V just died of bulging caps.

I am going to get it fixed...because it worked fine (except for some queertrons as it got older)...and I don't want to buy $1500 worth of hardware to replace it (time to upgrade?).

Comment

I know this is a older thread, but it was on first page.

I had one of these boards, still have the non plus version. GREAT boards, to bad Soyo quit making boards, I had nothing but good luck with them.

Comment

I liked Soyo [and Epox] boards except for their love of cheap caps that usually made them go unstable after a year or so.
                                    With good caps Soyo are pretty solid but they tend to need a lot of caps changed.

Soyo quit selling motherboards -in the US- at socket 478 I think.
                                    But, they were still selling boards overseas for years after that.
                                    http://www.soyo.com.cn/topic.php?act...&productID=330
                                    http://www.soyo.com.cn/topic.php?act...&productID=331
                                    http://www.soyo.com.cn/topic.php?act...&productID=326
                                    http://www.soyo.com.cn/topic.php?act...&productID=327
                                    http://www.soyo.com.cn/topic.php?act...&productID=328

If you are willing to shop overseas through translators and all that you may still be able to find Soyo boards more advanced than socket 478.
                                    I don't like them quite that much, but if Soyo is you 'thing'.
                                    -
                                    Just find it interesting that a US based company would drop out of the US market and sell overseas only.
                                    Last edited by PCBONEZ; 10-11-2010, 11:41 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

Very cool, thanks for that, the 775 board looks like something I would buy (if needed).
                                      Once again thanks for that info, they do sell their monitors here but not mobos?????

Comment

Just thought I'd post a quick success story.

Had a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus. I wanted to resurrect it as a learning experience, not because I'm under some delusion that it's a great board . After some work, I discovered the capacitor problem. I ordered some Rubycon replacements from badcaps.net, bought a Weller WESD51 soldering iron, and just replaced them. All caps 1000uf or larger. I'd never soldered anything before in my life.

It was a success, although a time consuming one. Prime 95 / Memtest stable. I'd also recommend buy capacitors from badcaps.net -- service was good and prices were reasonable.

Comment

Yes. Soyo has nice boards. Too bad they are ruined by bad caps.

I had to replace about 20 caps on Soyo Socket A board.

Now it runs barton @ 2GHz (174MHz@11.5) and 2GB of ram flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X