Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A-BIT KT7A v1.3 and Badcaps

Hi All,

I have an ABIT KT7A v1.3 which seems to be going strong at the moment despite the widely documented bad caps problem.

However I was thinking maybe it's better to prevent problems occurring rather than waiting for one of the caps on the board to go bad (especially seeing as I have just recently upgraded the board).

So my question is would any of the badcaps.net staff be willing to re-cap my board ?

I am not from the US/Canada so could not make a request via the web request form. I am from the UK. Nobody appears to offer this service here in the UK.

I have a small amount of experience with soldering from my college days but as for replacing caps ? I am worried that might be a little out of my league ?

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Cheers,
    Gary

Re: A-BIT KT7A v1.3 and Badcaps

I am always of two minds on this...its not that hard
    but probably not the best place to start a soldering career either
    although there are those around here that now do very good work from starting with MB

I don't know of anyone off hand in the UK but there are those in your region of the world that do it
    Bear in mind it would probably cost you more then the MB is worth but thats doesn't take into account how much its worth to you.
    (but yeah if your happy with an item sometimes its worth a lot more personally)

Someone my put there hand up for it but if you feel like having a go

Read the FAQ's you will need a (ideally) two irons, one that gets nice and hot for cap removal and a lower temp one for putting them in.
    (as I said Ideally)

although you can get away with one, helps if its one you get get decent temps out of
    (like a weller or other variable temp iron)

The needle method is the best way to clear the holes of solder.

Ideally get some junk pcb's to practice on (go dumpster diving for old pc's) ...you will quickly get a feel for it
    It just really a matter of practice and getting use to your equipment
    (or seeing if it cuts the muster)
    you will soon pick it up...but do it on junk first is my advice.

but if you feel better by getting someone to do it I am sure someone my help you out here...Unfortunately I am too far from your locality to help
    (postage would be a killer)

there are a few posts on how to around here so go read them if you want to give it a try

HTH and hope someone can help you

Cheers and Welcome
    You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
    X