bad cap on 7600gt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad cap on 7600gt

i have a bad cap on one of my 7600gt's and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what brand it was i am pretty sure it is an Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor the numbers on the top say fz69 1500 6.3v i am assuming that the 1500 is 1500uf is that right. and what would be a good replacment cap?

should i replace all of them? none of the other ones look bad.
    thank you for your help

[/IMG]
    Last edited by thetemp; 02-03-2008, 08:17 PM.

Re: bad cap on 7600gt

If it was an aluminum electrolytic, I think the appropriate Panasonic FM would serve you well. I have no idea what that one is, however, but I don't think a solid polymer cap would blow like that and have stuff spilling out the top.

I'd do 'em all. if that one's gone the others might not be far behind.

Watch the diameter, get the right specs, and you should be ok.
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

thats for the reply where would be the best spot to order them from and are the solid polymer caps better

Comment

Technically the solid polymer caps are "better" in that they generally have lower ESR. However, the circuit was probably designed for a certain type of cap, and I wouldn't go changing it. That said, other users on here have had success changing to solid polymer caps; maybe they can add something.

You could order your caps right off the site here:

https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=23

Or you can order Panasonic caps from Digikey (what I would do if they're common sizes):

http://www.digikey.com/

Comment

sacon FZ
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...76&postcount=5

if caps have vents they are not polymer. those are not
          replace them all
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

But probably the card was intended for polymer capacitor. I don`t like lytics on gfx cards, due to the high heat and low capacitance values (which leads to increased ESR in lytics).

I certainly would only stuff a good polymer cap at this location.
            560uF - 820uF 4v should be fine.

Comment

agree
              they probably dont mess around too much with the reference designs

can get chemicon psa from digikey

funny i just recapped a graphics card now, havent recapped anything in ages. nova caps 16v 470uf. replaced with mcz. the nova tested ok in esr but i was suspecting them because the video take a long time to start and the comp do wierd shit like take looong time to shut down and then no video on start. now its really snappy

Comment

thanks everyone i read online somewhere that they are Aluminum caps , so i am going to order the Panasonic FM do you need a special kind of soldering gun to work on boards like this if so what kind.

Comment

no soldering guns please they are too powerful.
                  you need a grounded soldering iron 40w minimun, 60w-80w preferred. chisel tip like 3mm

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                    But probably the card was intended for polymer capacitor. I don`t like lytics on gfx cards, due to the high heat and low capacitance values (which leads to increased ESR in lytics).

I certainly would only stuff a good polymer cap at this location.
                    560uF - 820uF 4v should be fine.
                    so a polymer cap wouldn't hurt anything and a 560uf - 820 uf 4v would work just as good? and if i go with the polymer would i have to replace the aluminum capacitors? or will they work mixed together.

sorry so many questions i know nothing about capacitors and i have been researching for about 3 days now and i am still confused.

Comment

which aluminium the FZ or something else?

Comment

is it ok to mix polymers with aluminium capacitors? and replace the 1500uf 6.3v with 560uf-820uf 4v

and i meant soldering iron not gun, my bad i will have to get a tip that small

you guys are great with responding as well i wish other forums were this helpful

Comment

yeah its ok. anyway nothing bad will happen as long as you are within the voltage specs of the board and dont lower the capacitance unless you use polymer then you can go about half capacitance.
                          the only difference you could have is if you use worse spec caps then you could have worse overclock.
                          but you should lose all the crap caps anyway

for the tip i meant you dont want anything too small because the heat transfer is too less. but you dont want a huge tip so that you are heating more board than solder pad/lead.

some vid cards can be a pain to clear the holes or they can be not too bad. make sure you have some practice first.

Comment

yeah i have some old motherboards and vid cards here i can Practice on i have never done this before but now is a good time to learn.lol

well it sounds like i will use the polymer caps and go with 560uf-820uf 4v

thanks

Comment

May be you can source some Samxon X-CON ULR 1000uF, 4v , 8mm.
                              Very superior rating and you can probably get them from Bigpope or Phenos (located in Europe,NL).
                              But Sanyo Oscon or Fujitsu aren`t that bad either. Most quality video cards are equipped with polymer capacitors.
                              Especially in the medium price range, manufacturers often prefer using cheaper electrolytic capacitors, probably due to cost concerns. Especially the Nvidia GF 6600gt and 7600gt are in this category.

They select the capacitors by the ESR & ripple current rating, thus they have to increase the capacitance.
                              But they forget the endurance, where electrolytic capacitors are no match for them.

The reference design leaves plenty of cap choices to give the manufacturer flexibility....

Comment

I would vote against using polymers, where are (by design) elytes used. Polymers "looking and sounding cool", but they have their strenght in hi-frequency, witch a circuit designed for elytes (lower frequency) not use. Hence using polymers there is a bad idea, IMHO.
                                At best you use only part of their specs. And, BTW, downgrading capacity is just wrong.

At least w/o measuring of the frequency are polymers a bad idea here for sure. Also, Samxon URL polymers are not larger yet that 1000uF (for 4 or 6.3V) and I would strongly "vote" against downgrading the capacitors capacity.

If this was my card, I would use Samxon GC 1500uF 6.3V d8 x 21 or experiment with the Samxon GC 1800uF d8 - but they are a bit experimental and Big Pope fear that they might not turn out to be long-time reliable, as mostly the 1800uF capacitances do.
                                (as proof he showed up a picture of 1800uF Rubycons blown-out, but even a good cap can fail under excessive stress, caused by other bad cap in the loop - mostly in PSU)

They (the 1800uF GC) work for me good, tough not stressed enought I think, in my JetWay V600DAP

Maybe a good stress-test you can do to them?
                                "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                                "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

the reason a 1500 is used here is to get lower esr from a cheap part.
                                  i would measure the voltage there and use the proper voltage.
                                  there may only be 1.5-2v there.
                                  scope tests show cleaner voltages after a polymer recap.
                                  the 820@4 should be fine.
                                  if you choose to go back with a lytic panny fm will do but will be taller.

Comment

thanks for the info guys as i do not know alot about capacitors i think i am going to go with the panasonic fms they are twice as tall as the current caps but the 7600's are the only 2 cards i am running on this system.

Comment

Make sure you're looking at the right diameter too.

I also vote Panasonic FM. Like I said in another thread, I'm paranoid about changing a circuit too much.

Comment

the best fm for your card is 10x20mm

Comment

Working...
                                        X