Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI-7207 (K8NGM2-L) version 1.0

Hello Badcap members!

My first time trying to repair a motherboard. I'm stumped.

My setup

MSI-7207 (K8NGM2-L) ver 1.0
    1 GB Ram
    GeForce 7900GS
    420 Watt PC Power and Cooling power supply

Problems:
    requires 2 or more bootups
    does not recognize the Video card (PCI Express)

What I have done so far:
    Ruled out power supply. Power supply tested out ok. Swapped out power supply with same problems as above.
    Ruled out video card. Video card works in another setup.

Using Blue ESR meter tested all the electrolytic capacitors in circuit - they read .00

unsoldered two capacitors
    Rubycom MBZ
    6.3v 3300 mF
    date code TO546 (week of November 6, 2005).
    Out of circuit ESR = .00, DC Ohms = infinite

United Chemi-con KZG
    16v 1500 mF
    Date code 5 (2) DG (December 7, 2005).
    Out of circuit ESR = .00, DC Ohms = infinite

None of the capacitors show bulging or venting.

Suggestions? Would you replace all of the capacitors or just the United Chemi-cons?

Thanks,

Curt

Re: MSI-7207 (K8NGM2-L) version 1.0

Hello Curt
    I am having a problem with the Same boards and my best suggestion is to replace the Chemicons just to be safe mine has KZGs as well which is seemingly a a Plagued series of Caps.
    The Quote below is by no means set in stone. Chemicon may make some quality Caps but I have seen far too many come acrossed my bench with Bad Chemicons Especally the KZG series.
    "Currently the Chemicon KZG series is questionable.
    (Nippon Chemicon, United Chemicon, same-same)
    The KZG series is showing up failed with uncomfortable frequency. (Meaning often.) -
    The interesting thing is there are usually no VISIBLE signs of a problem at all. (No swelling, no venting, no anything visible.) - Typically the motherboard works fine one day and then just refuses to boot the next day. Some people experience random shutdowns and BSOD for a while before it dies entirely."
    Panasonic is my Personal Favorite every since I replaced some in a flat screen and got it working again.

Comment

Welcome to the forums Curt_SJ.

>>requires 2 or more bootups<<
      Does that mean it does, eventually?

>>unsoldered two capacitors<<
      From what area?

Measuring VRM caps in circuit does not give true results. They're in parallel, so bad ones will not show up. Out of circuit is the only way that works.

>>does not recognize the Video card (PCI Express)<<
      Are you getting any video at all? BIOS screen?

Try resetting the BIOS.

Is the Southbridge getting hot to the touch?

Would you post a top down shot of the board so we can guide you better?

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

Howdy!

Replace the KZG for preemptive even if not bad yet.

Check the MOSFETs.
        There's a guide on how to somewhere in the threads here.

I have a MSI-7207 (K8NGM2-H) ver 2.0 here that's dead and I never attempted to repair because it looks like it went for a swim.

Looks to be the same only mine has no Firewire chip and only two SATA ports.
        Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Hello! New Member here.... stumbled onto your site searching for help with my motherboard. It is a:

MSI-7207 (K8NGM2-h) version 2.0

I have the same symptoms.... started fine, then one day, took 3 times to start up, second day.... nothing. Computer would turn on, drive light would bllink 4 times then nothing....

Sound like bad caps? I have very limited experience working on computers but okay at soldering.

Any suggestions? I can take a pic of board. I don't know which capacitors your talking about (location, color,etc ) but if someone would be willing to point and help, I'll try it.

Thanks from a newbie, Roger

Comment

Yes it sounds like it might be caps.
            By what Sigmund said KZG are a problem on this board.
            Just search the forum for KZG and you'll find photos of them.
            For other caps you'll have to tell us what they are.
            Same make/model/revision motherboards can show up with different caps from board to board due to changes during production so you really can't go by what someone else has on their board. Have to look at the one in hand.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

I'd check the capacitors in the areas circled in the attached photo because they also run hard. They're for the video slot, memory slots, and I think the north bridge. I've found several caps next to north bridge chips run hot because of heat conducted through the copper (brand new OSTs, brand new Sanyos), and I've seen three instances of bad caps around the memory slots. When it happened with my ECS Nforce6M-A, a cap popped and the mobo wouldn't run until it was replaced. With my friend's fancy ECS mobo the memory became flakey (MemTest86 errors), but each time a cap popped with my Asrock K7VT4A Pro the computer kept running. The Asrock had a lot more caps than the other mobos.
              Attached Files

Comment

Okay, here is a photo of my board. Hopefully one of the links will work.

What Caps do you recommend and where can I buy those? Radio Shack or a website.

Any suggestions before I start. I've soldered many times before but never on a motherboard. I have a 20/40 watt Pencil style iron or the bigger gun style but has fat tip, so dont think that will work.

Thanks again, Roger

[
                IMG]http://img4.*************/img4/227/mobo1.th.jpg[/IMG]

http://img4.*************/img4/227/mobo1.jpg

Comment

Update....

With the mobo out, I can see the Caps you circled, most are KZG 6.3v 1000uf, they are all the brown ones. Others need replacing?

My board is the K8NGM2-H MSI-7207 VER:2.0 N1996

Comment

I still can't tell what the others are.
                    Think maybe you could read the side of them?

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

Okay,

The Yellow Cap shows no name other than a "line above an F and a line below" it's size is 6.3v 680uF there seems to be a part #? M 5D53u

The other one is a small brown one, a G-LUXON 6.3v 470uF with 624D(M).

That help?

Roger

Comment

The 'bumble bees' [black/yellow] are Fujitsu Functional Polymer - Very good caps.

The G-Luxon are notorious junk. - Need to go.

What are the row of about 6 next to the CPU and the four 16v caps between there and the back I/O panel?

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

They are all the same brand and have a funny "M" with a box around it.

THe 4 furthest away are .... part # 62IVRP 6.3 volt, 1500 uF.
                          The other 5 are ..... part# 65IIRP 6.3v 3300uF

Roger

Comment

Opps... Not sure which 4 your talking about. I found one 16v on the board that is a Rubycon, others are KZG and some small fat black ones with no name, a 10v KZG. Most on the board are KZG's

Roger

Comment

Check these.
                              Attached Files

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

I forgot.
                                I have one of those in my round-to-it box.
                                -
                                The 4 VRM-high I said should be 16v are, and they are 1500uF Panasonic FJ on mine.

There are 5 3300uF 6.3v in Vcore. They are KZG on mine.

That 6th cap I said in pic might be in Vcore -is- if it's there.
                                It is not present on my board but I did resistance checks to the solder pads and it's in parallel with the other Vcore caps.

>> funny "M" with a box around it >> Matsushita ,, aka Panasonic.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Okay, after re-looking... those 4 you marked with a RED line, are 16v, Matsushita's
                                  The 5 with BLUE lines are 6.3v and I dont have theone you marked with a GREEN line.

So, replace all KZG's and Matsushita's? Where do I buy these and what watt iron should I use. I've read somewhere 75 watt or higher.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wfsdno
                                    They are all the same brand and have a funny "M" with a box around it.

THe 4 furthest away are .... part # 62IVRP 6.3 volt, 1500 uF.
                                    The other 5 are ..... part# 65IIRP 6.3v 3300uF

Roger
                                    I have some similar unmarked caps I am trying to ID.

10uF 250v and they are marked 81IIBA.

The two II's are connected Roman Numeral style, and the vent is t-shaped.

Are these Pannys any good?
                                    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

yes but not usefull in a mobo.unles you have one of the rare aopen tube boards.

Comment

Originally posted by wfsdno
                                        Okay, after re-looking... those 4 you marked with a RED line, are 16v, Matsushita's
                                        The 5 with BLUE lines are 6.3v and I dont have theone you marked with a GREEN line.

So, replace all KZG's and Matsushita's? Where do I buy these and what watt iron should I use. I've read somewhere 75 watt or higher.

Thanks!
                                        Matsushita/Panasonic should be fine as is.

Looking at my board,
                                        I'd replace all the KZG and the G-Luxon.
                                        There is a spattering of G-Luxon 470uF 6.3v 6.3mm with vents on mine.
                                        [Dunno if yours has them.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X