Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony OLED XBR65A8G no video, PSU problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony OLED XBR65A8G no video, PSU problem?

Originally posted by mcl360 View Post
    Diah, I took the TV to a repair shop and they indeed confirmed what you said. The main board was bad and had a short in it.
    Thank you again for your support. I definitely owe you a beer.
    its all lie.. dont hear them... nothings need .. only working Mainboard.. why you dont folllow my request on above post.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
      its all lie.. dont hear them... nothings need .. only working Mainboard.. why you dont folllow my request on above post.
      I had already shipped the replacement board back so I could get a full refund. I did find this video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYPjIHt8Lc&ab_channel=Nick%27sTVRepair> and it was saying that you normally you have to "pair" the board with the TCON after new mainboard install if the TV doesn't power on the first time. Anyway, I am going to order another board and try it again. I either got a bad board or the board needed to be paired. Either way I am hating myself for not buying warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by mcl360 View Post
        I had already shipped the replacement board back so I could get a full refund. I did find this video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYPjIHt8Lc&ab_channel=Nick%27sTVRepair> and it was saying that you normally you have to "pair" the board with the TCON after new mainboard install if the TV doesn't power on the first time. Anyway, I am going to order another board and try it again. I either got a bad board or the board needed to be paired. Either way I am hating myself for not buying warranty.
        no pairing nothings at all.. all lie..

yours original main boards can swtich EVDD ON but no T_CON 12.. but you wrote whn you start the PCB with jumbers all are fine... correct ?

my questiones.. how much you familiar with electronic... if yours score 2 of 5 then we can do further..
        post clear closed photo on yours mainboard..
        learn how you can take out the cable of t-con 12 ON out from the socket pin.

the idea are to jumber TCON 12 ON with STB and we run the main baord as normal every things in place.. yours panl should show some things on it..

Comment

Re: Sony OLED XBR65A8G no video, PSU problem? **Resolved**

So with tireless assistance from Diah. I finally got the TV working again!

Conclusion:
          Symptom: TV would not power on period.
          Problem: Short on main board standby circuit
          Cause: I don't know if these failures are mutually exclusive or occurred as result of the other.
          1. (A) Shorted media tech chip on main board
          2. (B) Wifi/Blue tooth card shorted

Remedy: Replace mainboard and unplugged WIFI/Bluetooth card and removed (until I get the replacement)
          Point to ponder: I've never used the WIFI on this TV (always wired Ethernet with WIFI off in settings) and rarely used the Bluetooth (only for voice on remote) so I am doubting that the WIFI card issue came first.

So again, THANK YOU Diah. I probably would have thrown this TV away without his help. If your ever in my neck of the woods, drinks are on me. Also, a thank you to badcaps forum for letting me join and participate. This is literally the only place I could find any real technical info on my Sony A8G
          Last edited by mcl360; 12-31-2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Hello, Diah. Can you help me? I have exact same TV as topic starter and it does blink 4 times red. The problem looks like tcon is throwing an error to motherboard (when panel starting up) and it shuts down evdd. For a moment it does show a line on a screen and then powers off. Very briefly. And then blinking red 4 times. So what ive done is I jumpered EVDD_ON with TCON_12_ON on PSU board disconnecting a wire from motherboard so it wont pull it down again. And disconnected 2 flex cables from tcon to motherboard so it wont go into red blinking mode. And it powers on, music is playing and it shows me that line constantly (that was briefly before). So basically when tcon is getting its 12.6v and 21.96v voltages it powers up panel and shows me a line. Why and how to fix it? Is it tcon failure or panel is shorted or something? Also is 22v evdd is normal voltage?
            Adding photo of the line (when EVDD is forced ON)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by flusher; 01-20-2022, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flusher View Post
              Hello, Diah. Can you help me? what ive done is I jumpered EVDD_ON with TCON_12_ON on PSU board disconnecting a wire from motherboard so it wont pull it down again. And disconnected 2 flex cables from tcon to motherboard so it wont go into red blinking mode. And it powers on, music
              this is wrong test.. follow exactly the stand alone test as i wrote in post #4 no more or less... show me what you get on screen

Comment

That doesnt make any difference as I have unplugged mainboard from tcon already. But just to double check I did exactly what you said in that post. I jumpered STBY with TCON_12_ON + EVDD_ON + I had to add POWER_ON (otherwise it wont produce any voltage at all). I have everything else disconnected. Just tcon and psu jumpered. And it does show exactly the same line as above I posted. Please take a look at the pinout and jumper setup. Any further advice?
                Attached Files

Comment

That doesnt make any difference as I have unplugged mainboard from tcon already. But just to double check I did exactly what you said in that post. I jumpered STBY with TCON_12_ON + EVDD_ON + I had to add POWER_ON (otherwise it wont produce any voltage at all). I have everything else disconnected. Just tcon and psu jumpered. And it does show exactly the same line as above I posted. Please take a look at the pinout and jumper setup. Any further advice?

yours photo
                  the line on the left side or the right side... ?? yours photo cut the rest of the panel.. please upload close photo of yours T.CON after you take out the metal shield,

Comment

[the line on the left side or the right side... ?? yours photo cut the rest of the panel.. please upload close photo of yours T.CON after you take out the metal shield,
                    the vertical line is on the left side. the rest of the tv is black. so there was no point to attach whole tv picture, just so you can see that line clearer in zoom. I can add one more thing. When motherboard is connected and screen lights up for a blink of a second I do see greeny screen and a that line. Without motherboard there is no green. I will remove metal shield and add tcon photo soon
                    Attached Files

Comment

When motherboard is connected and screen lights up for a blink of a second I do see greeny screen and a that line. Without motherboard there is no green. I will remove metal shield and add tcon photo soon
                      you mean the green and the line showing for short time when you are turn on the tv as every things in place... no jumpers at all... right ??

when you test the panel as stand alone.. you get only the line which out green.. right ??

but why your first photo showing only the line no green...?? are you just now for first time saw the green after you run panel as stand alone... i want to understand why you upload first photo with only line !!!!

Comment

ok, to avoid any language barrier i will speak as short as possible.

when ALL connected, NO jumpers - I am getting that GREEN SCREEN and LEFT LINE as above photo for a millisecond then TV SHUTDOWNS 4 RED BLINKS

when ONLY PSU and TCON are connected using JUMPERS - I am getting LEFT LINE ONLY - all screen IS BLACK as first photo

i did not upload photo with green because i read what you said to other people that first thing we need to power panel and tcon standalone

Comment

what the history of this TV?

Comment

what the history of this TV?
                            bought it from someone. he told me, he came home after holidays and tv just does not turn on, just blinks red. it was wall mounted and no screen damage. i inspected it with flashlight and it does not have any visible damage anywhere. of course seller could simply lie and i picked up bad lottery ticket

Comment

well, this story didnt matched the issue... it could be the screen faced hit at the front left side down. of course no damage visiable,, but any hit could short oled cell, i would suggust you keep it runing the panel as stand alone.. and with your finger tipps smothly on the area where the line down left or up. see what effect it make.. however i would like to see the t-con driver boards.. to check which version its.

Comment

yes i already tried that because i know, if edge of the glass is cracked and you move it - pixels should move too, but no, these lines are 100% static and doesn't change anything i tried moving/pushing/bending that panel on every edge and nothing.
                                the only thing i can add is that below that vertical line i can feel a bit warm. not hot, just warm. i don't know maybe it is normal to have a little warm on bottom when all pixels are enabled vertically. The rest of lcd is cold as a metal.
                                Last edited by flusher; 01-21-2022, 02:41 PM.

Comment

also if you look from the tv back. the last ribbon cable on right side. the left of it you have 2 wide line let say 1-2 , after them to the right pin 4-5 / pin 7-8 / pin 10-11 /are the return syncs to the t-con. i am not sure if your panel module version match this diagram. the idea to let the TV run normal and we block this return between the panel and T-CON driver boards. to avoid the T-con turn off and send error to MB.. if we reach this point you will be sure 99% what happen to the panel.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

today i can't open the tv, i will do it tomorrow, thanks for helping me out, i understand what you say in theory, i will try to reach tcon and see the connectors and place some paper on those pin if it matches your diagram in any way and report what happens

Comment

the photo i upload wasn't to t-con socket.. its for the second socket panel buffer right side boards

Comment

yes thanks, I understood, I will figure it out and post later

Comment

here is the photos of tcon and lcd connection. ignore wet spots on tcon as it is silicone thermal pads on metal shield (considering its normal).
                                          not really sure what should i isolate and on which flex
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X