No sound from LG HT904TA All in one Home Theatre System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound from LG HT904TA All in one Home Theatre System

I have the LG HT904TA All in one Home Theatre System plugged in to my LG 50PS60 Plasma TV with a HDMI Cable. All has been working fine for just over 4 yrs now.

Recently, while watching a DVD with surround sound on, suddenly the sound from the speakers stopped. So I rebooted both the TV & Home Theatre & tried playing the DVD again. The sound came on briefly for 1-2 seconds & went silent again.

I tried playing a program on TV & the same result, sound comes on 1-2 seconds & then silence.

So I switched to the sound from TV in built Speakers & sound is fine. I can play TV programs & DVD with sound from the TV speakers without problem.
    However, if I switch the sound to the Home Theatre I get sound only for 1-2 secs & then silence (this only if I reboot the Home Theatre first).. if not then silence throughout. The DVD player in the Home Theatre works fine.
    I tried with a different HDMI cable, same result.

I opened the cover to look at the 2 boards in there to see if there are any obvious burn marks or bulging caps or leaks. All looks okay. Checked the only fuse I saw next to the power in. It's also okay. I did see some burn marks on 2 wires of the cable going one board to the other. It seems it was touching the heat sink. I checked on the continuity of those 2 wires from end-end. They are okay. Could this have caused some component on either board to short?

Any ideas from anyone?

Re: No sound from LG HT904TA All in one Home Theatre System

Originally posted by lennoxgomes View Post
    I have the LG HT904TA All in one Home Theatre System plugged in to my LG 50PS60 Plasma TV with a HDMI Cable. All has been working fine for just over 4 yrs now.

Recently, while watching a DVD with surround sound on, suddenly the sound from the speakers stopped. So I rebooted both the TV & Home Theatre & tried playing the DVD again. The sound came on briefly for 1-2 seconds & went silent again.

I tried playing a program on TV & the same result, sound comes on 1-2 seconds & then silence.

So I switched to the sound from TV in built Speakers & sound is fine. I can play TV programs & DVD with sound from the TV speakers without problem.
    However, if I switch the sound to the Home Theatre I get sound only for 1-2 secs & then silence (this only if I reboot the Home Theatre first).. if not then silence throughout. The DVD player in the Home Theatre works fine.
    I tried with a different HDMI cable, same result.

I opened the cover to look at the 2 boards in there to see if there are any obvious burn marks or bulging caps or leaks. All looks okay. Checked the only fuse I saw next to the power in. It's also okay. I did see some burn marks on 2 wires of the cable going one board to the other. It seems it was touching the heat sink. I checked on the continuity of those 2 wires from end-end. They are okay. Could this have caused some component on either board to short?
    Possible bad amplifier board and/or failing power supply for the amplifier boards. Sometimes when a capacitor go bad, it may not necessarily bulge or leak (in other words, can show no external signs at all). Burn marks could be caused by excessive currents, especially if there is a short somewhere (that can also cause the power supply to shutdown, before the fuse blow).

Comment

Post some pictures so we can see what you see. Use the forum's "Manage Attachements" feature to attach your pictures (i.e. preferable that you don't use external image hosting such as Imageshack or Photobucket).

Comment

Check if there is a short somewhere!

Comment

I also own the same LG HT904TA dvd hoem theater that stopped outputting audio about a week ago.

While playing arround with the special EQ settings I was able to reproduce the 1-2 second of sound behaviour that lennoxgomes was experiencing. Basically everytime you switch to a new eq settings you get 1-2 seconds of sound.

Also while playing a DVD, if you pause and resume playback you get 1-2 seconds of sound.

I breifly managed to get about 2 hours of soound by unplugging the subwoofer wires and playing back a DVD. But now with or without the subwoofer or other speakers alternately connected/disconnected I'm only able to get the 1-2 seconds of audio.

I've followed steps to hard reset the unit with no luck, I haven't opened the unit up to look at the board yet, just wondering if I've exhausted all "software" troubleshooting steps before taking the device apart.

Comment

Working...
          X