Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCA 32" LCD TV RLCDV3282A-B turns off won't come back on

RCA 32" LCD TV RLCDV3282A-B turns off won't come back on

TV started blacking out to a blank screen with the blue 'on' light indicator still lit. Remote control will not turn it off , the light stays blue instead of the red 'off' indicator light.
    Unplugging it and plugging it in again solved the problem for the first couple of times. After that not even unplugging it did anything. You could plug it back in, get the red standby light (Off) , hit the on button of the remote , watch the screen stay black but the blue 'on' light replace the red standby light. A couple of times during working with it , it got jostled enough to come back on when turned on . This happened twice, that after moving the TV around a bit, the problem seemed to be gone, even the remote worked again to turn it off. But the fix doesn't last , and after about 15 minutes it goes black and to red 'off/standy' light.

I tried removing the main board and heating it but it didn't work. Still the same problem after heating the main board and putting it back in. (I was careful and heated on glass in the oven at about 200 degrees.

If I could figure out whether its the power board or the main board I might be able to do a simple replacement of either board myself for not too much money. I don't have meters to test anything, all I have is basic tools . There are no bulging capacitors on the main board or power board.

I am worried about wasting money on fixing this thing, it has been revived twice on warranty already , and was bought as a refurbished item, so it has been repaired already at least three times, one occasion of which was a replacement of the main board. So if the problem is the main board this time, then this TV has burned through at least two main boards already.
    Is it time to give up on this, or has anyone fixed this identical problem inexpensively without testing equipment? My hope is that if you had the same problem and fixed it with a new main board or new PS supply board you might let me know

Re: RCA 32" LCD TV RLCDV3282A-B turns off won't come back on

When the screen is black, but the blue light is on, do you see any light from the back of the TV? I'm assuming you have the back off, so you'd be looking to see if you can see any indication that the back lights are coming on. If you don't see the backlights on, then take a flashlight and hold it up to the screen and try to see if there's any movement. We'll also need to see pictures of each board in the tv, and they have to be as clear as you can get them.
    ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

I had the back off earlier, wasted a lot of time replacing them to put the rear cover back on the TV and now have to remove the back cover again. I looked through the vents on the back of it and see no light in there. I shined a flashlight through the front of the screen and all I see is blackness with speckles, it looks like a map of the stars, like outer space with these speckles in the black background, but no movement at all.

Comment

Do you get sound?

Comment

any pix to see with what we are dealing with?

Comment

Without having the meter to do the basic Voltage checking that will be just about impossible to narrow down to which board is the problem.
            Remote control will not turn it off , the light stays blue instead of the red 'off' indicator light. " this makes me suspect the main board problem.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I was thinking eeprom on the main board, but I don't like to guess. I had one a couple weeks ago with a similar main board exhibiting the same problems, and a new eeprom fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                Do you get sound?
                no, there is no sound and no backlight but the blue power on light
                stays on . The TV will occasionally power back up all the way to a blue screen and menu etc.
                when I unplug it and plug it back in (about one in ten occasions) but it eventually
                shuts off completely by itself. When it powers back up I can see lights
                in the back through the vents , I take it these are the backlights, but
                when it powers off by itself there are no backlights. Even the big blue light goes out and is replaced by the pinpoint red standby light. When switched on with the blue power light lit, there is no backlight or any kind of light visible through the back.
                When it is powered up next time , if there is a next time, have to test the controls on the side of the TV and test the DVD player to see if they are all working during times that the screen is powered up.
                I will get some pics of the main and power board. I am scared to remove the back again because they designed it pretty glitchy to remove, there is an odd wire which attaches from the built in DVD player to the main board and to the switch panel on the side of the TV, and it is very tricky trying to remove the back without damaging this wire.
                Last edited by Tea Trea; 07-22-2015, 08:25 AM.

Comment

these things are resound for the BGA under the main cpu to go bad, causing these exact symptoms. I just reballed one this week. a 40 incher. Does putting some mild pressure on the chip that is heatsynced yield a stable power up?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                    these things are resound for the BGA under the main cpu to go bad, causing these exact symptoms. I just reballed one this week. a 40 incher. Does putting some mild pressure on the chip that is heatsynced yield a stable power up?
                    I tried what you suggested and turned it on while pushing down on the heat sink and it turned on the backlights this time, that never used to happen.
                    Now the backlights are working but still no RCA boot up logo or blue menu screen.
                    Another new thing is that the remote works to shut off the TV now, and it wouldn`t do that before.
                    Last edited by Tea Trea; 07-23-2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

I noticed that this one big capacitor looked possibly a bit odd shaped and sort of bent over:

here is the damaged cable where it attaches to the switch panel on the side:

Here is a close up of the damaged plug, the yellowish part is where the left side of the cable
                      snapped off , this is the portion of the cable which connects over to the DVD player

here is the broken off portion , the part which connects to the DVD player resting where it used to attach (circled) inside the above cable plug (yellow portion above):
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Tea Trea; 08-09-2015, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I'd replace the main board. If pressing on the CPU makes it power on, then the main board is the problem. Your oddly shaped capacitor is actually and inductor and is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                          I'd replace the main board. If pressing on the CPU makes it power on, then the main board is the problem. Your oddly shaped capacitor is actually and inductor and is fine.
                          thanks for your help , you must be right that it is the main board,
                          everything which I could find prior per this issue with others with same model and same problem pointed to either the power board or main board as the problem.
                          Power board I doubt is the problem because sometimes the TV will boot up to the complete RCA logo and then beautiful blue screen and even the remote control works to access the menu options and navigate through the menu icons. Then it will remain on for about 25 minutes and then shut off by itself. Do these TV's turn off the screen like a computer monitor does if the timer on no activity runs out? Do they have a sort of screen saver feature built into them? Because this TV would be left on with the menu icons burning and not touched for almost 30 minutes.. do they automatically shut off to prevent screen burn if there is no activity/use? I doubt it, I think these things are designed to be put up on a wall and even display illuminated ads at things like banks and restaurants for days on end without being shut off, could be wrong.

It seems likely that it is a heat issue. Why else would it turn off after 25 or 30 minutes?
                          If the fan in a computer power supply breaks , do the computer and PS run until the power supply gets too hot and then the power supply shuts down?
                          Or does it overheat once and is designed to go dead?

I am just trying an uneducated guess at whether this problem would be the power board or main board. My guess is that if it is a heat issue then it is the main board. I can't see the manufacturers risking heat issues with the power supply board, it seems too risky. Seems the circuit would go dead deliberately pretty quick if something on the power board was broken, to avoid fire hazards. I could be wrong.

I am looking for a main board

t.rsc8.10b 12305 main board for an RCA 32" LCD TV RLCDV3282A-B with built in DVD player

or someone who could fix this board. \

Could I mail this board to someone who could fix it for $30 ?

this TV is on its third main board in its relatively short life, so I am avoiding paying $70 for another main board

Comment

try heating and cooling the main board. Maybe you find the problem, or at least know the area. If you had an oscilloscope you could see the ripple on the caps. Try reflowing the main IC (under that heat sink). If you have kept the other boards, you have a few candidates to try things on yourself.
                            Check the PSon signal from the main board to the PSU and see what happens ones the TV turns itself off. Does the PSon voltage go away?
                            Last edited by CapLeaker; 08-12-2015, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Without meters to do basic testing it's difficult to narrow it down. If you pick up a 5k resistor at Radio Shack we can probably tell you how to manually turn on the power supply and backlights. That would be confirmation one way or the other.

Comment

Hello, I have the same model TV and the red light, power available, isn't on. The power cable to the main board is showing 120 volts. The external standby will not turn on the TV. What would you think the problem would be

Comment

Post some hi resolution straight shot pictures of your main board and your power supply. Next you need a Digital Multi Meter to troubleshoot and we will tell you what to check for.

Comment

check for swollen caps

Comment

Working...
                                    X