Vizio M60-C3 multiple symptoms leading to death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio M60-C3 multiple symptoms leading to death

Initially, I had an issue last winter where, when the room was cold, the TV came on but continuosly scrolled through the inputs. Slapping the back of the lower left where the KB board and light are would solve things until the room warmed up and things worked fine.

Then recently it started coming "on" but no picture, just backlight. Turning it off and on again fixed things. Then it got worse, where I'd have to cycle power several times to get picture. Then I got the dimming light and sometimes flashing after dimming. Again, cycle power a few times and it would eventually work fine.

Now it is dead. I took off the back and started measuring. The only low voltage I get is about 3.3v and 2.something on a few pins leaving the PS. But those voltages make it through the MB to the KB board, so I'm guessing that's the stand-by voltage and my measurements may be normal for a unit that is off. Not sure where to go from here. I'd like to hope it's the PS because it's probably cheaper than a MB or even fixable. I saw one YouTube video where the guy just replaced the 4 identical caps at upper-right on PS and fixed it. Based on all those progressing symptoms, any thoughts?

Roy

Re: Vizio M60-C3 multiple symptoms leading to death

I would try heating your main chip and see if tv comes on.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

There are 2 common problems. #1 is bad caps on the power supply. Check out the power supply. If no bad caps then most likely problem #2 is the mainboard. In this case, you probably need to reflow, reball, or replace the processor chips under the heatsink.

I made a super quick and easy-to-follow video tutorial on how to identify the bad board for these model tvs without needing equipment, but instead just based on symptoms. This should help tons since you can see what I talk about visually. Hopefully, it doesn't break bad caps terms.

https://youtu.be/un7OJLTWtJY

Comment

Thanks guys. Sure enough, on closer inspection those four caps were bulged. Just ordered a 20 pack from Amazon for $5.99 and they'll be in my mailbox day after tomorrow. Sweet!

Comment

Working...
        X