Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap vs expensive HDMI cables

http://www.myce.com/news/do-costly-h...tly-not-61787/

The extra price you pay for some HDMI cables seems to be a gimmick.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Cheap vs expensive HDMI cables

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Digita...pr_product_top

no kidding. I love that page, the reviews are funneah.
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The quality of hdmi cables DOES matter.... but not at the short distances regular people use them for. Things might change a bit with 3D 1080p (high bitrate issue mainly)

When you go 30 meters and higher, 1080p starts to become hard to transfer without packet drops and signal gets hard to correct so it makes sense to have better shielded cables and so on.

ps. yeah, the amazon reviews are awesome... the

fresh whole rabbit - http://www.amazon.com/Cloverdale-Fre...pr_product_top
      tuscan whole milk - http://www.amazon.com/Tuscan-Whole-M..._sim_sbs_gro_2
      uranium ore - http://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Inc-..._sim_sbs_gro_4
      3 wolves howling at moon - http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-S...sr=1-1-catcorr
      Wheelmate Laptop Steering Wheel Desk - http://www.amazon.com/Wheelmate-Lapt..._sim_sbs_gro_7

are classics....
      Last edited by mariushm; 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
        The quality of hdmi cables DOES matter.... but not at the short distances regular people use them for. Things might change a bit with 3D 1080p (high bitrate issue mainly)

When you go 30 meters and higher, 1080p starts to become hard to transfer without packet drops and signal gets hard to correct so it makes sense to have better shielded cables and so on.
        Cheap ones are less physically robust and break much easier too.

Quality matters - up to a point! Once you get past a certain point no amount of improvement will increase quality of the signal.
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

A cheap 1 meter HDMI cable (outer diameter was a bit narrow) gave no picture when the resolution was set to 1920 x 1080 on my PC.
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
            A cheap 1 meter HDMI cable (outer diameter was a bit narrow) gave no picture when the resolution was set to 1920 x 1080 on my PC.
            Had the same issue with my PS3 - real cheap cables will only support 720p (sometimes 1080i but who uses that?).

The cable I had issues with was a "value" one from Asda or Tesco iirc, replaced it with a slightly more expensive one and all was fine.

I've also had issues with cheap HDMI cables radiating and causing interference on some digital terrestrial channels with my Samsung 3d TV - though it is possible that I may be able to reduce or eliminate this issue by replacing the aerial downlead with better quality coax.

Comment

brands such as monster cable are full of hype and are way too expensive.
              i bought a bunch of closeout 9' cables for $1 each a while back.
              they came from a best buy of all places.they were made by amp.i assume thats amphenol?
              they are in plain bags with a barcode.i guess the slick salesman steer customers to the monster crap and these didnt sell.
              no problems with them on anything i have used them on and no rfi.
              sometimes the difference in cables is the price and the name.

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                http://www.myce.com/news/do-costly-h...tly-not-61787/

The extra price you pay for some HDMI cables seems to be a gimmick.
                No shit Sherlock!

My main TV is a 50" Plasma and the 2 inputs are connected via $4.00 HDMI cables.

My stepson just built a new house, his media centre stuff is in the basement, a 100 foot HDMI cable connects to his 65" TV, the 100 foot cable cost less than most 20 footers in the stores.
                Looks great, no issues at all.
                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I use Poundland HDMI cables with great success at 1080p; I also have bought two 2m HDMI cables for £1.99, and they work fine, too. 98p a cable for 2m... and no problems. Hard to beat that.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I have a $5 3 foot "High Speed" HDMI cable connecting my computer to a TV that I use as a monitor. I have it set to 1920x1080 (with sound) and it works fine.
                    Last edited by cheapie; 05-09-2013, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I bought some two 6 foot HDMI cables off of eBay for $1 each with free shipping and they work great with our TVs. Beat that price!

Comment

just in case, get this one

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Cof...5758453&sr=1-9
                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I bought a 6ft cheapy and it seems to have cheap connector. I would be willing to bet if it stays hoooked up to the device the whole time it will be fine but if it unhooked and hooked a lot it will be junk in no time. That is where they are cheap not necessarily the actual cable itself.

Comment

I paid 17 RON (5 dollars) for a 2.5 meter hdmi cable yesterday. Just went to a electronics hardware store and got the cheapest they had.

Bought a Radeon 7770 to replace my old Radeon 4850 and this new card has DVI+HDMI+Displayport while my old card had 2 DVIs and HDMI.

Would have been cheaper ordering online but I wanted one right away and where I live, the only place closer to me selling hdmi cables was a mall, and those guys sell cables for 15-20$ a piece.

Comment

Hi, I think while it is true that it is very hard to tell a difference between a bad HDMI cable and a good one, there are differences.

HDMI is not lossless just because it's digital, which is what many people think. It is susceptible to interference & signal degradation (especially by RF & loose impedance control). HDMI has very tight tolerances which are usually not met by the cheap cables. All of this is exacerbated the longer the cable gets.

Determining a good cable from a bad cable doesn't have much to do with all the gimmicks that the obscenely overpriced cables market like silver coating and proprietary twisting; but on how carefully it was manufactured (especially the end tolerances, insulation & uniformity).

A good cable will usually have completed testing at the HDMI Authorized Test Center & have the certificate available on their website.

Comment

When I was repairing TVs more frequently, I had to replace my basic HDMI cable; the connector broke from repeated connecting and disconnecting. I bought a more expensive Sony cable that had a much better connector, and I haven't had any issues. Also, maybe it was my imagination, but I seemed to have more handshake issues. Picture quality is about the same.
                                Last edited by capkid; 07-19-2013, 08:15 PM.
                                LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

this is probably way off topic, but it is about a HDMI cable hooked up between my Toshiba Satellite laptop, and my VIZIO 32" LCD TV. I can't get any sound on the TV or the laptop while connected. The picture is Great, but no sound through the HDMI connection. Instead, I still get the sound from my Cable Program that is running through the DVR. If anyone has an idea, I'd be willing to try it.
                                  But I'm not going to stand in a bucket of water, and stick a screwdriver in the wall socket!!! ;-)

Comment

Right click on the speaker icon in Windows, click on Playback Devices, select hdmi on your video card.
                                    Last edited by mariushm; 09-06-2013, 03:23 AM.

Comment

I use $1.00 HDMI cables in bulk. Had one go out because I bent it. Another would just show red screen or pink screen after a while. The rest have been great.

Comment

US/Cdn customers can go to Monopirce for good selection / FAQ.. HDMI is pretty simple it
                                        It's either going to work or not (long distances).. In other words the signal makes it or not. Good info here.. http://www.techradar.com/news/home-c...lutions-923327
                                        Last edited by Yatti420; 09-06-2013, 01:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Working...
                                        X