Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung UN60EH6003F, no picture, no T Con board, boot loop, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UN60EH6003F, no picture, no T Con board, boot loop, etc.

BACKGROUND:
    Alright, so earlier this week I picked up a broken Samsung UN60E6003F HH01 locally for $80. Panel isn't broken, backlight is good, but TV was reported as not working, guy got it from his brother-in-law, typical sort of story. Let me preface everything by saying I've been spending hours looking through forum posts and I believe my situation is slightly unique. I'm just looking for the next step to troubleshoot.

SYMPTOMS:
    So I get it home, plug it in, hear the start up chime, backlight comes on, and then nothing. No logo, no menu, no image, just backlit black. I open it up, and turns out there is NO T Con board in the TV at all. Someone has been into this TV before and whoever was just scrapped the T Con board for whatever reason. So at this point I don't know if there's other damaged parts or what.

I look up the specs, and from the best I can tell, the T-Con board originally in this TV is a BN95-00628B (or A or C). This ShopJimmy website I've found seems to indicate that boards BN96-28943A, BN96-28944A, BN95-00944B, and BN95-00944C are all drop in replacements for that board, and supposedly fail less. I'm not sure if I can link out to external sites since I'm new, but if you search for Shop Jimmy BN95-00628C you'll see the page.

PARTS:
    Off to ebay to buy a T con board. End up buying a pack salvaged from a UN60H6203AF model, which is quite similar in external apperance/dimension and comes with a BN95-00944B T Con, a BN97-08810A mainboard, and the wifi module/ power button cable for under $50. Seems like the T Con board should drop right in and everything should be fine. The mainboard currently in the TV is a BN97-06989A.

Parts showed up yesterday, I put in the T Con board and carefully connect the LVDS and ribbon cables. Plug in the TV, hear the chime same as before. However, no backlight striking, and the red LED front indicator is blinking. TV sits for maybe....8-10 seconds, then reboots, plays the chime, etc. etc. So a boot loop.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
    My research led me to think that perhaps the IC901_16M EEPROM needed to be reset in order to get the TV to play nicely with a new T Con board. Spent a ton of time here and the consensus for this board is that the M_E_SCL and the M_E_SDA needed to be shorted/jumped to 'remove' the chip from the system, somewhat similar to a cmos clear on a PC. I'm not 100% confident I've done this correctly. Here's what I did:

In the attached picture (file 2048), you can see small holes with a set of labels above. I assume the one slightly offset to the left is "FL_PWR". then of the 10 in the line, while the TV was unplugged, I jumpered a paper clip from the 2nd hole down (M_E_SCL?) and the 7th hole down (M_E_SDA). While the clip was inserted, I plugged in the TV to power for approx 20 seconds. The TV was unresponsive during this time, no chime/backlight. Afterwards, I unplugged, removed the paperclip, plugged back in and the TV behaved exactly as before, no change. Did I do this procedure correctly?

To dig deeper I disconnected the LVDS cable at the T Con board end, and the TV would then power on, chime, light the backlight, and do nothing, as in no continual reboots. I tried doing a "Easy" EEPROM clear in this state, by holding "Exit" on the remote for 15 seconds, then pressing left, then pressing Enter, but this seemed to have no response. I can power the TV back off using the physical power/joystick button by clicking in, then up, then clicking in again. So the control system seems to functional.

When the LVDS cable is connected, the TV boot loops. I tried disconnecting the power cable between the PSU and the main board to inspect for discoloration or debris, and everything looked peachy. If I plug the power board into the wall outlet while it's disconnected from the main board, the backlight comes on immediately, which I understand to be normal behavior.

So a really rough guess at this point is that the power board has enough juice to EITHER power up the mainboard, or power just the backlight, but when it powers the main and then 2-3 seconds later tries to power the backlight, the voltage dips and a reboot happens. Thoughts? All caps look healthy on the power board, no bulging tops or leaking that I can see.

One other important item to note, one of the HDMI connectors on the main board has been damaged. I didn't notice this until taking pictures tonight just before writing this post. I only need one HDMI port, so I'll just use the other, but if it's possible that is somehow shorting something, I thought I'd mention/photograph it. I would have tried the main board from ebay from the UN60H6203AF to rule this out and see if it works, however it has a different power connector on it.

I do have a multimeter available, but I'm not very experienced using it and I'm not sure what to look for/expect. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them. Sounds like that big capacitor on the power supply should be above ~380V while the system is powered. How can I (safely) check that? I just have a $20 Innova meter from Amazon.

If I have to replace the PSU (I'm open to replacing caps, I've used a soldiering iron on electronic repairs more than a few times), I'm tempted to purchase the power board from the newer UN60H6203AF, as I already have a mainboard and T con board from it, and it has better outputs (mainly digital/analog audio out). If I went that route, I'd have T Con, main board, and power board from the 6203AF, and just the panel from the 6003F, which I suspect is identical. If anyone has ever done an 'upgrade' like this, I'd love to hear about it. If this is a terrible idea, perhaps just a replacement 6003F power board (or caps) is the last thing I need to get this up and running.

NOW WHAT?
    What is my next step here? I appreciate your collective expertise and time!
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung UN60EH6003F, no picture, no T Con board, boot loop, etc.

Have you tried with lvds cable connected but ribbon cables disconnected? And if results are booked,with one ribbon attached? then only the other ribbon?
    Proud owner of dozens of broken TV's and many,many,many boards.

Our website and passion:http://hollenhundshepherds.com/

Comment

I'd check the LVDS on the main board with an oscilloscope to see IF you get video signal first place.

"So a really rough guess at this point is that the power board has enough juice to EITHER power up the mainboard, or power just the backlight, but when it powers the main and then 2-3 seconds later tries to power the backlight, the voltage dips and a reboot happens."

What voltage dips where?

I appreciate you writing this long thing, but we really need some measurements to see what is or what isn't happening. For example your backlight issue while the main board is connected. Does the main board send PSon and BLon to start with? We don't know without measurements.

Mainboard "upgrades" and "downgrades" have been done before.

Comment

I just now tried disconnecting both ribbon cables from the T Con board, but leaving the LVDS connected. The TV boot loops in that configuration, same as when all cables are connected. Is my 'new' T Con board bad?

CapLeaker, I don't have access to an oscilloscope, is there another way I can test it? And with regards to voltage dips, I'm not sure where, just making an assumption as a possible explanation to the behavior of the power supply board, however since this is my first deep dive into TV repair, I'm not familiar with exactly how they behave when failing.

Is there a way to determine when the PSon and BLon signals are sent? Are those just signals back down the power cable between the PSU and the main board?

Comment

PSon and BLon are generated on the main board and tell the PSU to turn all voltage rails and the backlights. It's just a DC V on the ribbon cable that goes between the PSU and main board.

There is no other way that I know of to measure if there is video on the LVDS or not.

If the Tcon makes a difference being connected, check the power to the TCon. Maybe it's shorted. Check the fuses on the Tcon etc.

Are you sure you have the correct Tcon for your panel? You may have to get the panel number.

Comment

main is bad if you disconnect it and the power board fires the backlight.

Comment

Originally posted by evanroheff21 View Post
              I just now tried disconnecting both ribbon cables from the T Con board, but leaving the LVDS connected. The TV boot loops in that configuration, same as when all cables are connected. Is my 'new' T Con board bad?

CapLeaker, I don't have access to an oscilloscope, is there another way I can test it? And with regards to voltage dips, I'm not sure where, just making an assumption as a possible explanation to the behavior of the power supply board, however since this is my first deep dive into TV repair, I'm not familiar with exactly how they behave when failing.

Is there a way to determine when the PSon and BLon signals are sent? Are those just signals back down the power cable between the PSU and the main board?
              Is the rebooting occurring with the t-con completely disconnected? If it's not, then you probably got a bad replacement t-con.

Comment

Originally posted by figurehead21 View Post
                main is bad if you disconnect it and the power board fires the backlight.
                The backlight does power on instantly when the main board is disconnected from the power board.

Originally posted by aaronwt6 View Post
                Is the rebooting occurring with the t-con completely disconnected? If it's not, then you probably got a bad replacement t-con.
                The rebooting only occurs when the t-con board is connected. Bad replacement part huh? Darn.

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                Are you sure you have the correct Tcon for your panel? You may have to get the panel number.
                I'm about 95% sure that this specific model of t-con is not the direct replacement, but a "compatible" one that is supposedly less prone to failure. I'm basing that information on this page: http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn9...-con-board.htm and on this page: http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn9...-con-board.htm . The TV was missing the t-con board entirely when I opened it, so I don't know the original for sure. I currently have the 00944b in there, which I just bought off ebay, however it's possible that it's bad.

Comment

I don't know if it's worth your while doing a firmware update or at least have the files handy if you get the set up and running.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN60EH6003FXZA
                  Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                    I don't know if it's worth your while doing a firmware update or at least have the files handy if you get the set up and running.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN60EH6003FXZA
                    I don't think the TV is in a state where I could even kick off/complete a firmware update unless there's a way to do it with the t-con disconnected using a USB directly plugged in to the main board. If that can be made to automatically kick off a firmware update without interaction, I'm down to try it. I do plan on doing a firmware update once the TV is operational.

Comment

Have a read of the installation procedure on given in the link.
                      Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention, I do have an RS232 to USB adapter as well as a compatible ex-link cable. I can pull debug info this way tonight after work. I'll update if I find anything useful, but I doubt the TV is going to be in its debug mode, just the production output.

Comment

I have had two 944b boards in the same set that are doing the boot loop, did you ever find a solution? Shopjimmy states that the boards have been "modified" to work as a replacement, whatever that means.

Comment

I am having a similar problem but not the rebooting issue. The TV originally while being watched lost color in the picture and now it turns on and has backlight no video. I have disconnected one then the other of the tcon ribbon cables to the screen with no difference. CN201 on main board has all of the correct voltages that are printed on the board, 1 thru 4 are 5.3v 5,6 & 8 are gnd 0v, 7. 13v, 9. 13v, 10. 5v, 11 thru 13 13v and 14 is 3.2. I checked Q601 drain is 3.3v gate and source are 0v and what looks like q1100 drain 0v gate and source are 3.3v. It seems that the main board is usually the culprit but I am not sure that it is not the panel or even the tcon. Could anyone enlighten me?
                            Attached Files

Comment

the only way AFAIK to check the output of the main board is to probe the LVDS with a oscilloscope, or swap in a known working main board.
                              You can try unplugging the TV, freeze the EEPROM with a can of air upside down, plug in the TV and turn it on. Other than that, you can try heating the main board and see what that gives. You may want to investigate a firmware update on this set.

However, your symptoms also suggest you could have a bad TCon. If there is one to be had for a reasonable price, I would go for that first. Things are much easier with an oscilloscope, since one can rule out things better if one knows what to look for.
                              Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Here is my run in with an UN60EH6000:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47744

Comment

Thanks for the response, I will try that and let you know. The tcon is very cheap so I will go that route if the freeze spray/heat does not do the trick.

Comment

So I tried freeze spray on the eprom and then heating it still no change so I am going to order a tcon and I will get back with the results.

Comment

A1

Comment

I replaced the tcon and now have picture so thanks for the help.

Comment

Has anyone else seen the OP's problem ? I have a UN60EH6003FXZA that boot loops with a new T-Con installed. With the old T-Con, the set just got a blank raster. The T-Cons are known good/bad because I have another set to test in. Power Supply, and Main Boards have been swapped with no change in boot loop. Removing the LVDS cable from the T-Con will bring the set on with backlights, without the boot loop. Software updated with no change. Any ideas ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X