X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aracde Chassis Cap Replacement Help

I have an arcade chassis capacitor to replace and the original is:

180 volts, 680 uF, 85 degrees C, 30mm diameter, 50mm high, legs apart 11mm

Is this one I found below from RS Online Ok?

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/alumi...itors/0270060/

Someone from AussieArcade.com said it was Ok but is the tolerance ok or should I have bought one with +-5% and somewhere I saw on the net people recommending capacitors with low ripple noise I might have the wording wrong I dont know capacitors.

Re: Aracde Chassis Cap Replacement Help

G`day ,can you post a few pictures of the capacitor and the area of the board where the cap is
    All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

By chassis, do you mean the arcade PCB, power supply or monitor? 180V caps are not what you'd find on a regular old JAMMA board, but it's also too low to be for AC power supply filtering in Australia (unless of course the board came from the US/Japan and blew up in seconds when connected to 230V).

Comment

what monitor is it?

btw, it's not going to be 11mm pitch, it sounds like a 10mm snap-in package.

Comment

Heihachi 73 Its the board to power the CRT (monitor chassis board) it has the flyback transformer on the chassis board, it needs 100 volts from my stepdown transformer I didnt blow the capacitor or anything from 240 volts I'm replacing the capacitor while I have the chassis out of the cabinet. The chassis is a:

KAGA Electronics KZ-20EN-L it has "Nano KB24033ID" printed on the CPB and also "K18P"

Stj you are right its not 11mm its 10mm I measured underneath the pcb with the capacitor out
          Attached Files

Comment

The PC board can accomodate many different sizes and types of snap-in capacitor. This part good quality, I would not expect it to fail.
            Nichicon LLS 680uF 180VDC comes in three possible sizes. 22x35, 25x30, 30x25mm. The can diameter is 30mm so easy to find from your favorite distributors. I don't know what is avaliable in Australia, but people use cheap chinese caps a lot which I would not do. 10mm lead spacing is popular.

I also see many fractured solder joints i.e. R904 so I would be resoldering many connections in the board. That alone can fix many problems.

Comment

Thanks for the capacitor suggestion and dry joint but I've already bought the capacitor in my first post do you see any reason to not use the one in that link

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/alumi...itors/0270060/

Also I found this in the pic below that was said about replacing PSU caps does it have any revelance to monitor chassis?
              Attached Files

Comment

What I mean is should the capacitor be a regular cap or a low esr or high esr I'm sorry I don't know what the original one is from a space wrench and I don't know what's the best to replace it with

Comment

The cap only filters the 100 hz ripple from the bridge, so the cap you show in post #7 is fine, no need for low esr
                  Last edited by R_J; 09-19-2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Is this monitor 110VAC or 220VAC powered? Just wondering as the cap appears to be for a 110VAC mains product and OP is in Australia.

Comment

In post #5 it appears he is using a step down transformer to power this monitor.

Comment

it's a 100v japanese monitor.
                        i had a dozen of the 14" version once.

and a full isolation transformer is mandatory even if you have a 100v supply.

Comment

The replacement 680uF 200V looks fine LGX2D681MELB30. It has good ratings for ripple-current 2A and 105°C 5,000hrs so I would not worry at all. Just don't put it in backwards lol. I mark the top with a red felt pen after double checking.
                          You don't have to worry so much about ESR and ripple voltage because the big cap is running at 2x mains frequency which is 1,000x less than for switching power supplies which can be much more demanding on capacitors. Sometimes people just make rules of good practice for all capacitors used across the board and it's not the case.

A long time ago, when I serviced CRT equipment common B+ regulators with 120VAC mains was for around 130VDC, just a bridge and big resistor for raw DC around 150V or so.
                          Not sure how it went with 240VAC mains CRT TV's and monitors of the era.
                          Last edited by redwire; 09-21-2021, 02:55 PM.

Comment

240v monitors and tv's used a switching psu to obtain the B+ and a few other voltages for the mcu, audio amp etc.

the old arcade monitors with 100/120/128v input often use a linear regulator circuit based on a high current transistor.

Comment

Working...
                            X